• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

dannypav

President
Given the form we have been on , I was quietly confident we would be the team to go up via the play offs.
I know anything can happen in these games , but felt our form and team spirit would see us through.
Not many of us expected to be third going into the final game , certainly not after Burton away.
Well we are because we deserve it and I think we will win on Saturday.
BUT ...... and sorry for the pessimism here , but if Saturday does go 'belly up' then mentally the team will have a huge job in going again.
It's one thing storming into the play offs in the best form of the season , but another to face them having fallen at the final hurdle when in prime position.
I certainly wouldn't swap our place for Bury or Wycombe , but fail to get third and I think it's a huge swing in momentum.

Thoughts please *

( * apart from 'do one you pessamistic old git !' )

Given the form we have been on , I was quietly confident we would be the team to go up via the play offs.
I know anything can happen in these games , but felt our form and team spirit would see us through.
Not many of us expected to be third going into the final game , certainly not after Burton away.
Well we are because we deserve it and I think we will win on Saturday.
BUT ...... and sorry for the pessimism here , but if Saturday does go 'belly up' then mentally the team will have a huge job in going again.
It's one thing storming into the play offs in the best form of the season , but another to face them having fallen at the final hurdle when in prime position.
I certainly wouldn't swap our place for Bury or Wycombe , but fail to get third and I think it's a huge swing in momentum.

Thoughts please *

( * apart from 'do one you pessamistic old git !' )

Do one !
:winking:

It didn't go too badly in 2004/05 after Grimsby and having been in the autos pretty much all season

The notion of 'momentum' going in to the playoffs is massively overplayed as people tend to better remember the situations when a team has come roaring up on the rails to go up via Wembley - Palace under Iain Dowie being the most notable example. It's a bit like FA Cup shocks, or players scoring against old clubs - we never really remember the times when they don't happen.

Fail to go up on Saturday and we will still be favourites to go up via the playoffs.

If we don't win on Saturday, it is certainly not the end of the world. Bury almost certainly will win against a demoralised and relegated Tranmere. That means the Play Off teams will be;

Wycombe - who are on their knees after blowing 3rd spot and injury ravaged
Stevenage - nothing to be scared of
Plymouth - nothing to be scared of

I make us firm favourites to go up via Wembley should we have to do it that way.

The play offs are a complete lottery, it's who performs better over the two hopefully three matches.

People tend to buy into the myth that the team coming from behind have the momentum and often win the play offs, I believe that the stats actually prove it's the highest placed finisher that is the most successful over the history of the play offs. In fact if we are talking about a team having momentum then there is no team in as much form as us whatever happens Saturday.

We have not been in the top three since the second week of the season so yes it would be heartache on Saturday if we slip up but it's not the same heartache that Wycombe would face!!!!

If it's the play offs then I feel our fit and in form squad would be a success

The play offs are a complete lottery, it's who performs better over the two hopefully three matches.

People tend to buy into the myth that the team coming from behind have the momentum and often win the play offs, I believe that the stats actually prove it's the highest placed finisher that is the most successful over the history of the play offs. In fact if we are talking about a team having momentum then there is no team in as much form as us whatever happens Saturday.

We have not been in the top three since the second week of the season so yes it would be heartache on Saturday if we slip up but it's not the same heartache that Wycombe would face!!!!

If it's the play offs then I feel our fit and in form squad would be a success

Not a lottery then!

Whether people look at stats , form or subscribe to the play offs being a lottery , I don't think we should underestimate the phsycological ( bad spelling ) downer on our players if we don't win on Saturday.
Just to reconfirm , I think we would then still go up via the play offs , but it wont be the cake walk some seem to think.

A stato may be able to confirm this but iirc.
4th place div 2 goes up/ has gone up in play offs 50% of the time
whereas in the Championship 3rd place has only gone up 18% or similar
We are roughly evens on Sat (actually slightly odds on to win away and could go up if we lose /draw) x evens in play offs = 75%- 80% chance of promotion as we stand combining the two
obvious stuff but if we were to play out this scenario 4 times
we would go up three times out of 4 one way or the other

I'm pretty sure I pulled out the data last season for the playoff campaign. Can't find the thread, but don't think momentum really counts for much

It would be a blow not to go up automatically, but all depends on what happens.

A 0-0 result would still mean we are unbeaten in a long time and still not conceded, which will give us something to feel confident about.

Lose 5-0 and it may be slightly different.

Lets hope this thread gets shown to be a waste of time come Saturday!

Aren't we like 4th in the form table across the whole of Europe?!

Only Bayern, Barca and MK Dons have picked up more points in the last 10 games?

What can go wrong...

Have just booked for a week in England. I'm going to see the family and the Sonia Delauney exhibition in London but just by chance :winking: I'm arriving on the 22nd of May. I always believe, you can't have too much insurance! :smile:

I really wish people would stop saying that....it's right up there with the "could've had a hat-trick" example that someone gave yesterday in terms of footballing bollox

Back