• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barnard better start finding the onion bag soon because this lack of goals could cost us this year ,
I personally would have got someone else really it's a huge gamble

Agreed,
For the life of me I cannot understand this signing whatsoever,Lee's pitch time over the last 2 years has been very sparse and before he rejoined us he had not played one single game this season.Many on here are saying he will come good but the truth is we are nearing the critical stage of the season and we need players firing on all cylinders now.

Agreed,
For the life of me I cannot understand this signing whatsoever,Lee's pitch time over the last 2 years has been very sparse and before he rejoined us he had not played one single game this season.Many on here are saying he will come good but the truth is we are nearing the critical stage of the season and we need players firing on all cylinders now.

I could understand this if Barnard had been back here a while, but he hasn't. Why not give him a little bit longer before slaughtering the bloke? Players like Lee do not become bad players overnight, and I fancy Brown will get him up and at it soon. I agree that we need goals, but we have what players we have for the moment. You never know, Fred and BBBC may start scoring regularly and then we are on our way. Obviously you have your views on the guys we have now, and I think we all know them well. Maybe time to ease off a bit?

We have a very workman like midfield but no natural creator / leader. There are also so many sideways or backward passes when the strikers need the ball early, lack of positive thinking means play just fizzles out. Better off having an older perhaps not so mobile midfield general with workaholics around him to support him to create chances.

No chances created from midfield = no goals from whatever strike force a team has, although I feel that our 3 strikers are not the answer. Two of them are running on empty, and there must be reason why the other hasn't been a first team choice for such a long time :unsure:

I could understand this if Barnard had been back here a while, but he hasn't. Why not give him a little bit longer before slaughtering the bloke? Players like Lee do not become bad players overnight, and I fancy Brown will get him up and at it soon. I agree that we need goals, but we have what players we have for the moment. You never know, Fred and BBBC may start scoring regularly and then we are on our way. Obviously you have your views on the guys we have now, and I think we all know them well. Maybe time to ease off a bit?

Slaughtering the bloke?,How,I stated facts after all this is a forum to discuss issues concerning our club.Now if I was on here ranting whilst using abusive language toward the players..I could understand yet I just stated the obvious these guys are goal shy whilst providing their past ratio's to back up my thinking.Yes we all want them to score but the sad truth is they ain't.

Sorry if this offends anyone including the players if they read this.

Quite agree !
To me the simple and main cause of our failure to win games is that we aren't coping so well with wet muddy pitches on very windy days (Torquay, Newport, and now Mansfield). The same passing quick touch team play won't work in the current conditions. Mainly this is going to affect the midfield and especially wingers. Wrong team out today and I did state before game that I worried for CC getting red in these conditions.

Quite Agree !
Wrong set up today. Should have started with Fred and Barney and then use Corr in the 2nd half when their defence was worn down a bit. What was the point in the West Ham game if it wasn't with a view to changing midfield? That is where the problem is if you ask me, not enough link up or service with/to the forwards. It's been the same for a while.

Slaughtering the bloke?,How,I stated facts after all this is a forum to discuss issues concerning our club.Now if I was on here ranting whilst using abusive language toward the players..I could understand yet I just stated the obvious these guys are goal shy whilst providing their past ratio's to back up my thinking.Yes we all want them to score but the sad truth is they ain't.

Sorry if this offends anyone including the players if they read this.

You don't offend me mrsblue, and you're right, this is a forum to discuss issues, which is why I gave my opinion on your post. I'll try to use less emotive language for you next time, but my point stills stands.

Wrong set up today. Should have started with Fred and Barney and then use Corr in the 2nd half when their defence was worn down a bit. What was the point in the West Ham game if it wasn't with a view to changing midfield? That is where the problem is if you ask me, not enough link up or service with/to the forwards. It's been the same for a while.

Sorry dont agree with you O.B.L.
We have proved that the set up we get the best results with, is playing 4-5-1- not 4-4-2-
If it aint broke dont fix it.!!
Corr works much better as a sole target man?.
Barney and Freddie have a role to play Yes, but not together!!
Corr also needs the occasional rest, but is the main bit of the jigsaw!
We dont really have a back-up target man. Which is worrying!!
We are strugling on heavy pitches, when sides are bullying us out of games.
We started to dominate after Clifford was sent off.
I have said all season he is costing us big time with these rash challanges. I was not close enough to see if it was a deserved red yesterday, but he is lucky he has not had more red's this season.
As i said after the Torquay defeat. Dont panic.!!

Checklist for a striker:

• Must have played regularly in last few seasons
  • Must have scored at hat-full in EVERY season he has played
  • Must be very quick
  • Must be strong and good in the air
  • Can never go through a period of over a few games where their scoring ratio is poor otherwise they will be classed as "goal shy".

Now we've got that sorted I'll just email Phil Brown and- wait ..... I'm just being told that every club in the world wants that sort of striker. I'm also being told Falcao, Messi and Suarez have only 1 goal in his last 5 games, the exact same as Barry Corr? That can't be right as Corr is awful at scoring.

So it seems that finding this fictional striker is tough for top teams, but we are a 4th division club with no money so we will obviously get 1 or 2 easily.

I think Barnard will come good if he gets the right service. Coker needs to be fined every time he chooses not to progress a move with a right foot pass or cross but instead turns so that he can use his left and momentum is lost.

Best laugh of the day for me was talking to a Mansfield fan after the game who said he was really worried when we brought on Eastwood - obviously hasn't seen his form of late.

Sorry people but this thread, right from the sarcastic title is unfair and not worthy of SUPPORTERS, if anyone has a suggestion for who to play up front and why they would be better that is ok but what I have seen of BBBC, Fred, and Barney is not a lack of effort and honesty; they need some service and some breaks and if us as fans can't encourage then we are the losers not them.

I can understand that it's inconvenient but what other form of protest is open to them? The fact is that the vast majority of people want ticket offices at tube stations and Boris Johnson stated he had no intention of closing any of them so personally I back the strikers and replacing them with unknown tempory staff doesn't fill me with confidence. Corr still needs a rest, give Fred and Barney a start.

I've been saying for some time we can't counter-attack. We always have a slow ponderous build up, passing sideways or backwards. If only we could get the ball quickly through midfield to the strikers I'm sure more goals would come

I've been saying for some time we can't counter-attack. We always have a slow ponderous build up, passing sideways or backwards. If only we could get the ball quickly through midfield to the strikers I'm sure more goals would come

Ahh, so you want 'Route One' eh! Sturrock got slated for playing like that!!!!

Checklist for a striker:

• Must have played regularly in last few seasons
  • Must have scored at hat-full in EVERY season he has played
  • Must be very quick
  • Must be strong and good in the air
  • Can never go through a period of over a few games where their scoring ratio is poor otherwise they will be classed as "goal shy".

Now we've got that sorted I'll just email Phil Brown and- wait ..... I'm just being told that every club in the world wants that sort of striker. I'm also being told Falcao, Messi and Suarez have only 1 goal in his last 5 games, the exact same as Barry Corr? That can't be right as Corr is awful at scoring.

So it seems that finding this fictional striker is tough for top teams, but we are a 4th division club with no money so we will obviously get 1 or 2 easily.

Haha meh and double meh haha.

Personally can't work out why a manager wants to tinker with something that was actually working.He shouldn't be changing just to accomodate Barnard, who quite clearly isn't match fit or sharp. We all know that he was a quality player and may still be when properly fit.
The team took a while to really make 4 - 3 - 3 work but we haven't time to bed a new system in. Never thought I would say it but we clearly miss Straker and so do the team.
Managers have to meddle sometimes and it's not always for the best.

Best laugh of the day for me was talking to a Mansfield fan after the game who said he was really worried when we brought on Eastwood - obviously hasn't seen his form of late.

He's still by far our most well known player though. When telling someone I support Southend, Freddy Eastwood is usually one of the first things they mention.

I'm happy to say the "but who do you really support" question hasn't been posed for a long time.

Ahh, so you want 'Route One' eh! Sturrock got slated for playing like that!!!!

not route 1 at all. Just on some occasions get the ball through the midfield a bit quicker and up to the forwards. I did say on the counter attack. Quite a few teams we've played this season have done this without resorting to hoofball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back