• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So what songs did your parents give you?

The ones that really stuck from my parents would be ( from my Mother) Adam and the Ants (yes, I know :blush: ) and from my Father, ELO and War of the Worlds.

I know the lyrics of every song on Manilow Magic.

My mum was a member of the Barry Manilow fan club and we had a Barry Manilow photocube in the kitchen.

My dad was a massive Queen fan and I remember spending hours with massive headphones on listening to all his queen records.

From my dad its Motown Soul , The Four Tops, The Drifters, Isley brothers etc. From my mum its the Beatles and bloody Gene Pitney.... never did like my Mums taste and stand by it to this day :smile:

'Burning Love' and 'Running Bear Little White Dove' on 8 Track in the family Ford Cortina sticks in my mind.

'Mr Blue Sky' is the best song ever.

:Worthy:

My folks weren't really into music which is curious as music is one of my major passions (making it as much as listening). Randomly, the one song I can recall my Dad making a big deal about is this one from 1970!!! I think it just suits his sense of humour.

[video=youtube;YEEy615Jzg4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEEy615Jzg4[/video]

I poached a few nice bits of vinyl from my folks collection; original copies of Help! and Rubber Soul, plus the first first 3 Scott Walker solo albums. All still cherished and played to this day.

Unfortunately, by the time I was born all they listened to was the MOR horse**** that was popular in the mid-'70s; Manilow, Carpenters, Streisand, Joel, Denver, Diamond etc.

I poached a few nice bits of vinyl from my folks collection; original copies of Help! and Rubber Soul, plus the first first 3 Scott Walker solo albums. All still cherished and played to this day.

Unfortunately, by the time I was born all they listened to was the MOR horse**** that was popular in the mid-'70s; Manilow, Carpenters, Streisand, Joel, Denver, Diamond etc.
Blimey, I wouldn't have classified Billy Joel in the same era or as MOR as those others! :stunned:

Blimey, I wouldn't have classified Billy Joel in the same era or as MOR as those others! :stunned:
'Just the Way You Are' is the most insipid piece of MOR drivel ever made IMHO, and that was '77, so a smilar time to Manilow. While the others certainly began their careers earlier, they were all staples of the record collections of couples like my folks right up to the late '70s.

Bob Dylan
The Mamas and The Papas
Simon and Garfunkel
Neil Diamond
The Eagles

My dad was pretty cool thinking about it. I've even seen Neil Diamond in concert 3 times. I also took my dad to see Bob Dylan a few years ago, but neither of us enjoyed it which was a real shame.

Doris Day and Cliff Richard!

Oh dear.

Bob Dylan
The Mamas and The Papas
Simon and Garfunkel
Neil Diamond
The Eagles

My dad was pretty cool thinking about it. I've even seen Neil Diamond in concert 3 times. I also took my dad to see Bob Dylan a few years ago, but neither of us enjoyed it which was a real shame.

He does sound pretty hip (apart from falling out of love with his Bobness)!

Naff all. Their musical tastes were appalling. Max Bygraves & The Black & White Minstrels were their bag.

Back