• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So what songs did your parents give you?

i wouldn't say taste in particular, but i know a lot of Phil Collins and Diana Ross music because of my dad. Mum just quite likes her 80's music, so a broad spectrum of stuff from there, some good, some bad. I think older siblings are far more likely to affect the music you listen to rather than your parents. Certainly picked up Oasis, Blur and Manics off my sister. No idea who imparted the blessed gift of EDM on to me!

productimage-picture-nwa-325.jpg

The Greater Good!

i wouldn't say taste in particular, but i know a lot of Phil Collins and Diana Ross music because of my dad. Mum just quite likes her 80's music, so a broad spectrum of stuff from there, some good, some bad. I think older siblings are far more likely to affect the music you listen to rather than your parents. Certainly picked up Oasis, Blur and Manics off my sister. No idea who imparted the blessed gift of EDM on to me!

It works the other way round too.I would probably not have been turned onto the Clash,Billy Bragg,Elvis Costello and many other punk era bands, had it not been for my younger brother.Take a bow, Rob Noxious.:Worthy:

(Probably owe my fandom of the other Elvis to my other (younger) brother's incessant playing of his records as a teenager too).

The Jam and David Bowie were staples of the record player in our house while growing up. A pretty decent start I'd say!

Clearly the Welhams know their music.:thumbsup:

The LP collection (now gathering dust in the loft; I ought to resurrect it) is excellent. Mum tells me that during the early-mid 80s, Dad would buy an LP or two pretty much every Friday lunchtime. My first listens to (among others) The Smiths, Billy Bragg and Blondie were all courtesy of that collection.

Time to man up.I was quite a fan of DD (and Kathy Kirby) as a kid.

Never did care too much for Cliff though, apart from Devil Woman.
Early Cliff wasn't too bad, but Doris was definitely a favourite of my mum's.

Junior Choice was probably a bigger influence on my childhood musically than my parents were anyway...Leapy Lee, Peter, Paul and Mary, the Seekers...I've posted before, one of my favourite songs from that time was this...

[video=youtube;ENblHOxi1c4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENblHOxi1c4[/video]

It works the other way round too.I would probably not have been turned onto the Clash,Billy Bragg,Elvis Costello and many other punk era bands, had it not been for my younger brother.Take a bow, Rob Noxious.:Worthy:

(Probably owe my fandom of the other Elvis to my other (younger) brother's incessant playing of his records as a teenager too).

I am youngest sibling so is impossible to say, lol

By the age of four 1981 btw I was brainwashed by my dad.......firstly going to roots hall to watch the blues is not an option its just what happens....secondly queen are the greatest band to ever play music....

By the age of four 1981 btw I was brainwashed by my dad.......firstly going to roots hall to watch the blues is not an option its just what happens....secondly queen are the greatest band to ever play music....

One out of two ain't bad.

can't say my mum or dad influenced my musical tastes at all. developed in it's own sweet way. but I can say thaks to my oldest son for dream theatre and dragonforce. just going to dip my toe into alestorm - pirate folk metal - wish me luck

Don't recall my old man being particularly into music - his main concern seemed to be the gee-gees rather than The Bee Gees. However, my mum loved Dusty Springfield. After Dr Who on a Saturday night, it was time for marmalade sandwiches and 'The Dusty Show' (sic). It was one of the rare times that she'd sit down for an hour.

My pata was Jim Reeve's biggest fan for which I will never forgive him. Those Distance Drums and the god awful He'll Have To Go still haunt me to this day. Every Christmas we got the 'Jim Reeves 12 Songs of Christmas' from about 8 o'clock in the morning until the needle clogged up with too much dust. I was convinced at a young age that Gentleman Jim was solely responsible for the vast majority of seasonal suicides. He also liked Hank Williams, Dolly Parton,Tammy Wynette, and Johnny Cash. I loathe them one and all.

Thankfully, my mum had far better taste with the likes of The Hollies, Swinging Blue Jeans, Small Faces, The Who, The Stones and of course, The Beatles. Mum rocked, Dad, musically wise, sucked.

My pata was Jim Reeve's biggest fan for which I will never forgive him. Those Distance Drums and the god awful He'll Have To Go still haunt me to this day. Every Christmas we got the 'Jim Reeves 12 Songs of Christmas' from about 8 o'clock in the morning until the needle clogged up with too much dust. I was convinced at a young age that Gentleman Jim was solely responsible for the vast majority of seasonal suicides. He also liked Hank Williams, Dolly Parton,Tammy Wynette, and Johnny Cash. I loathe them one and all.

Thankfully, my mum had far better taste with the likes of The Hollies, Swinging Blue Jeans, Small Faces, The Who, The Stones and of course, The Beatles. Mum rocked, Dad, musically wise, sucked.

Phooey. Papa had excellent taste Al. :raspberry:

Back