• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SO when will the takeover go through?

When will the sale complete?

• Mid/End May

Votes: 85 28.1%
  • June

Votes: 56 18.5%
  • July

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • August

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • September

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • October - December

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Early 2025

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • March - May 2025

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • Never

Votes: 101 33.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting how we interpret things differently. To me, the below very much implies that this cannot go on much longer.

From BBC:

"We have demonstrated pretty strongly we would not walk away from this deal very lightly, but everyone has their limits," Rees told BBC Essex. "We are optimistic that it will go through, but we're always cognisant that it's not in our control."

"We can't give carte blanche whether we will or won't walk away. Others will decide whether this deal goes through," he continued.

"We can't be expected to keep funding a club for another X months with a disrupted pre-season, so we really do need this process to close. It is time for this to be done one way or the other."
The key quotes to me are ....

but we're always cognisant that it's not in our control

Others will decide whether this deal goes through

That’s strange I’ve also heard from a couple of people some of the consortium are not two happy at the moment , but could just be rumours . as you say who could blame them
I would fully expect ALL of the consortium to be ‘ not too happy at the moment’.
I would be amazed if any are happy with the current situation. How that impacts their involvement is another matter. I would also suggest that some are more important than others. Realistically there is likely to be change over time in the make up of the consortium.

Actually a good question. The purdah period in run up to election has a huge impact on national and regional Government and what they can and can't do.
Well Rishi has just called 4th July for a GE. So if there is any concern purdah will delay (not sure it will) they better get it done very sharpish.

Actually a good question. The purdah period in run up to election has a huge impact on national and regional Government and what they can and can't do.
AS the general election is not ment to be called untill later in the year .It wont cange a thing if we dont have a club by then unless an agreement is reached before june the 25th

Well Rishi has just called 4th July for a GE. So if there is any concern purdah will delay (not sure it will) they better get it done very sharpish.
Smiffy, better be in the next few days then. Will be interesting to hear what Council say about purdah

Any updates from the council yet? Understand they met the officers working on it and also the Shrimpers Trust but havent seen anything mentioned since.

This from the internet:

There is no equivalent guidance on the purdah period for local authorities and no legal restrictions on councils' decision making during the pre-election period; however, most councils take heed of the Cabinet Office advice and operate on the basis that decisions will not be taken nor policies announced that may be significant in their effects and politically contentious.

AS the general election is not ment to be called untill later in the year .It wont cange a thing if we dont have a club by then unless an agreement is reached before june the 25th
I think you'll find that a general election can be called at any time. It was expected to be called in the autumn but with a couple of recent good news announcements (interest rates reduced, possible Bank of England rate cut)

It should also be noted that the election has been called before England get knocked out of the Euros.

This from the internet:

There is no equivalent guidance on the purdah period for local authorities and no legal restrictions on councils' decision making during the pre-election period; however, most councils take heed of the Cabinet Office advice and operate on the basis that decisions will not be taken nor policies announced that may be significant in their effects and politically contentious.
Remember the council has already voted on this and made a decision.

I can't see purdah having an impact.

I think you'll find that a general election can be called at any time. It was expected to be called in the autumn but with a couple of recent good news announcements (interest rates reduced, possible Bank of England rate cut)

It should also be noted that the election has been called before England get knocked out of the Euros.
They can’t be expecting to win many votes in Scotland then

I just want to add that I went to a local councillor surgery recently and spoke to a councillor that has currently been elected onto the council “board” and when I spoke about SUFC he was not very positive in his replies
What did you ask/say and what did he say?

Back