• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question So... who’s still attending?

Will you continue to attend?

• Total voters
Living in Peterborough, I don't get to go to many Southend games anyway but I refuse to pay and travel 200 miles to watch players who aren't giving 100%, led by a manager who doesn't seem to care what happens to the club.

The club has been on a downward spiral for 2 to 3 seasons now and at the end of the day I just want to watch a decent game. Much easier to forget about Southend's issues when I can travel 15 minutes to London Road and follow a team that seems to actually try.

I may come across as less of a diehard than others on here but going to football is expensive (posh v Sunderland was £28) and paying to watch us at the moment just seems a waste of time and money.

Living in Peterborough, I don't get to go to many Southend games anyway but I refuse to pay and travel 200 miles to watch players who aren't giving 100%, led by a manager who doesn't seem to care what happens to the club.

The club has been on a downward spiral for 2 to 3 seasons now and at the end of the day I just want to watch a decent game. Much easier to forget about Southend's issues when I can travel 15 minutes to London Road and follow a team that seems to actually try.

I may come across as less of a diehard than others on here but going to football is expensive (posh v Sunderland was £28) and paying to watch us at the moment just seems a waste of time and money.
Not everyone's cup of tea but non league football can offer good value for money entertainment.I really enjoy it and watching Peterborough sports FA cup tie at East Thurrock this weekend.Admission programme and club raffle normally about £15 so not too expensive

I'm aggrieved at what's occurring....both players and manager at fault......too late to ship out despondent players and get new in…...which'll probably mean KB :Worthy:, will be asked to fall on his sword.

It will be very interesting to see who is asked to pick up the "sword of Damocles"

No player(s), are ever bigger than the club...…………..respect that you (player) may not be impressed with the style/ demands put upon you by the managerial team, but ffs give it your all for us long suffering, loyal - both home and away fans.

I don't mind losing…..not a massive fan of it either...but do not capitulate "just because".

UTB

I’ve got to say I’m not sure how much of a “fan” you are if you don’t turn up purely just because it’s not going well.

Money is another thing obv.

I don’t actually have a choice if I go or not. Which people who don’t like football don’t understand.

6 games in and people are questioning whether they will go. I mean yeah fair play if you live ****ing miles away then fair enough. But I find it a bizarre mentality where people are showing off about not going as if it’s something to feel good about.

Your the ones that don’t get to be with your mates or family members to watch the team you were born to support. Not my loss. Only your loss.

It’s like when people criticise other people for liking something on TV/music that some might consider ****. I like more stuff than you. Not my problem.

Guaranteed entertainment? Go on YouTube football highlights.

It’s the pain that makes it worth it...

Last edited:
I'm not a season ticket holder but will probably not bother with home games for a while as the atmosphere is pretty despondent, I don't even know whether people would cheer a goal right now and I include myself in that!

I'm going to Milton Keynes, already got cheap train tickets and I'd continue going to away games even if Bond is in charge. Most away days in this division are a good day out.

It has got to the point where it's so bad it's funny and at times like these it makes those fleeting good times all the better. I'm kinda glad my 8 year old is suffering through this, it's the first time he's properly known a real down time, he's already told his Man Utd and Chelsea supporting friends they really have nothing to moan about.

I’ve got to say I’m not sure how much of a “fan” you are if you don’t turn up purely just because it’s not going well.

Money is another thing obv.

I don’t actually have a choice if I go or not. Which people who don’t like football don’t understand.

6 games in and people are questioning whether they will go. I mean yeah fair play if you live ****ing miles away then fair enough. But I find it a bizarre mentality where people are showing off about not going as if it’s something to feel good about.

Your the ones that don’t get to be with your mates or family members to watch the team you were born to support. Not my loss. Only your loss.

It’s like when people criticise other people for liking something on TV/music that some might consider ****. I like more stuff than you. Not my problem.

Guaranteed entertainment? Go on YouTube football highlights.

It’s the pain that makes it worth it...

Even the Chairman ain't bothered going lately and has made no statement to date, is it he doesn't give a ****, hope not.

Of course I will go, I support the players, the team, the Club - not one miserable excuse of a manager, although I am going to miss the Donny home game as we are away that week.

Lol, that arguement always amuses me.

I am a fan. But that doesn’t mean I’ll settle for being mugged off.

Where do you draw the line? Not being funny but if they’ve got your undying, unwithering support, the club can pretty much treat you however they want, because they know you, and others will be there week after week, regardless, as witnessed by the state of the facilities at Roots Hall.

Of course I will go, I support the players, the team, the Club - not one miserable excuse of a manager, although I am going to miss the Donny home game as we are away that week.

Are the players supporting us though? Do they deserve our support? Are they putting in a shift for the fans? Or are they hell bent on settling personal vendettas against a manager, at all costs?

Lol, that arguement always amuses me.

I am a fan. But that doesn’t mean I’ll settle for being mugged off.

Where do you draw the line? Not being funny but if they’ve got your undying, unwithering support, the club can pretty much treat you however they want, because they know you, and others will be there week after week, regardless, as witnessed by the state of the facilities at Roots Hall.

Absolutely. Spend £22, 2hrs driving, petrol and alike to be depressed when we fail to put a few passes together and lose 0-4. No thanks.

Probably National Conference South...

Absolutely. Spend £22, 2hrs driving, petrol and alike to be depressed when we fail to put a few passes together and lose 0-4. No thanks.
I console myself with the Fish House and a Rossi's, somehow makes the 5 hour round trip a little more bearable.

Some of you just need to relax and enjoy your fate. We are an endangered L2 club because of our debt and our current stadium......That means relegation not a trip to the Championship.

Yes we overachieved under PB when we finished 7th. Imagine we had gone up instead of Millwall. We may well be in the same place today or even joining Bury.

As we know only to well if you come up from L2 and you don't go up in consecutive seasons then there is only one place you are going......Back to where our fans feel comfortable....So far there has only been Rochdale this season that we can call tin pot.....Which is annoying to say the least.

The only way that that will change is if the council say yes anytime soon. Then we can be a struggling Championship club with all the same moans and grievances but just paying more for the pleasure......Still at least we will have plenty of room to move away from any of those annoyingly positive people who refuse to ball the manager out......Because who ever he may be he won't be right for the Championship, for us fans, nor my wife's hairdresser who won't like his tactics.

I did say money & living far away is fair enough.

But I always say the same thing, if you want guaranteed entertainment there’s always the theatre.

@GBJ are you really being mugged off though? 6 games in. Not sure it’s particularly being mugged off. It’s very **** and disappointing. It’s an old football stadium. It’s gonna be ****.

I get your point in regards to them treating fans however they want but to be honest when times are tough everything is **** and everything is bad.

If we’re winning every week RH is a fortress. If we’re ****, it’s a tin pot stadium.

What one is it? Cos it can’t be both. Or maybe it can?

I have my limits U23 v Reading - no thanks.
Away games, rarely these days due to work and other things. I can’t justify going to away games often because the amount of disappointment and time I know to expect.

Home games are different for me, I live round the corner and I’ve been going with the same people and sitting with the same people for 20 years.

It’s a community.

I could watch us in National league south I couldn’t give a **** (that’s a lie I’d hate it, but least I might get a game?)

That's absolutely understandable because you won't do it if we win 4-0

@GBJ are you really being mugged off though? 6 games in. Not sure it’s particularly being mugged off. It’s very **** and disappointing. It’s an old football stadium. It’s gonna be ****

Yes, absolutely I’m being mugged off.

As I said, I’ve been going up Roots Hall for over two decades, and I’m used to below par footballers putting in dross performances. That’s not the issue.

The issue is, It’s become a soap opera, not a football club. The recurring plot about a dilapidated stadium isn’t the main gripe, it’s just one thing. It’s a bit of a liberty expecting your paying customers to put up with such squalid conditions, but there’s a (supposed) means to an end, so we tolerate it.

But what I can’t tolerate is a battle of egos, at my expense.

Those players - although granted, maybe not all of them - aren’t playing for you, their teammates or even themselves. They’re trying to get a manager sacked.

Most people on here, whether it be readily, or begrudgingly, would accept that we have the makings of an OKish squad. We can blame the manager for a lot of it - which is fair - but he isn’t the sole reason we’re getting humiliated week-in, week-out. This lot need to have a good look at themselves, and should hang their heads in shame.

And you can spare me the idea of professional pride, because that doesn’t wash at all. Seeing any Lg1 team get brushed aside by a newly promoted Lg2 teams’ reserve side, off the back of several heavy defeats, should tell you all you need to know.

Now, if it makes me a bad fan because I now refuse to entertain the freak show that is currently running rampant through the club I love, then so be it.

But luckily, I’ll still have a crisp tissue with the number 20 and the Queens head printed on it, to wipe away my tears.

As I said, I didn’t create this thread for this purpose. It wasn’t to draw battle lines between ourselves, it was a simple straw poll, to see where everyone stood on the matter in hand.

Yes, absolutely I’m being mugged off.

As I said, I’ve been going up Roots Hall for over two decades, and I’m used to below par footballers putting in dross performances. That’s not the issue.

The issue is, It’s become a soap opera, not a football club. The recurring plot about a dilapidated stadium isn’t the main gripe, it’s just one thing. It’s a bit of a liberty expecting your paying customers to put up with such squalid conditions, but there’s a (supposed) means to an end, so we tolerate it.

But what I can’t tolerate is a battle of egos, at my expense.

Those players - although granted, maybe not all of them - aren’t playing for you, their teammates or even themselves. They’re trying to get a manager sacked.

Most people on here, whether it be readily, or begrudgingly, would accept that we have the makings of an OKish squad. We can blame the manager for a lot of it - which is fair - but he isn’t the sole reason we’re getting humiliated week-in, week-out. This lot need to have a good look at themselves, and should hang their heads in shame.

And you can spare me the idea of professional pride, because that doesn’t wash at all. Seeing any Lg1 team get brushed aside by a newly promoted Lg2 teams’ reserve side, off the back of several heavy defeats, should tell you all you need to know.

Now, if it makes me a bad fan because I now refuse to entertain the freak show that is currently running rampant through the club I love, then so be it.

But luckily, I’ll still have a crisp tissue with the number 20 and the Queens head printed on it, to wipe away my tears.

As I said, I didn’t create this thread for this purpose. It wasn’t to draw battle lines between ourselves, it was a simple straw poll, to see where everyone stood on the matter in hand.
As someone who will still go, I can't argue against any of those points.

I'll never stop going because we're crap. We've had 15 or so generally good years, we've been spoilt and a lot of the younger fans have never experienced really bad times. You do need to see the bad to really appreciate the good. And this is as bad as it has ever been in my 30 years.
However, I am going to miss a large chunk of the season because I have another child due in a week and my other son has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes so it's all hands to the pump with the family right now. I will still continue to follow things closely from afar, get sucked into hope at 2pm and feel terribly disappointed at 5pm every Saturday. I know no other way.
I understand why fans might want to stay away, after all everyone is different and takes situations differently. I walked out of quite a few games last season before half time, it was my little way of protesting. But for me, I'll go when I can as the social scene really is the highlight of my week and I feel the club needs me.

Back