• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So Why the Worry?

Hammo

I often struggle to comprehend views of football fans in general.

The problem is we are all better managers than any current manager in the world when we make comments with hindsight.

I think if we as fans are willing to accept Bailey has gone because he wanted out then we have to accept that replacing him like for like may never happen.

Gower has been a solid performer in the first XI for years and likewise a replacement just isn't going to happen overnight.

I think with the club building Fossetts it could in some areas cloud perceptions of ambition, current and future directions that we are heading.

The team now has to mould again and work as a unit which Steve Tilson has been so brilliant at getting us to do in recent years. Most of you indeed support Steve Tilson and rightly so. As in an ideal world he would not have been in a position to sell such influential players!

Fossetts suggests that Ron wishes to go places and I have no doubts he does. But I think the development there is something that should be left to one side at the moment and is much more of a bargaining tool for potential staff in a few years time.

I am guessing that he is working towards a long term plan. As he said, if we don't get promotion this year he deems it a failure. That sure is ambition! That is great to hear that from our chairman. However, when the club sells players that Steve has based a team around it makes on the field business very difficult and achieving success and maintaining it is a damn site harder.

That is perhaps why he said (according to J) that changes would be made if promotion is not achieved and not necessarily with management. But then again you wouldn't put that burden onto a manager and his team at the beginning of a season would you?

I don't think we should be worrying at the moment. Nor do I think promotion is essential. I can't believe that is expected by the actions that the board have taken by accepting bids for our team. If the club are operating at a loss then it is clear to me that by offloading some of the club's highest earner and entering Fossetts playing League 1 football with perhaps the best stadium in the division will soon start to turn around the fortunes of the club's financial position off the pitch which in turn could result in a more successful Southend United Football Club in perhaps 5 or 10 years down the line.

Ofcourse you go on what you see now. But Steve Tilson only has what he is given at his disposal and by all accounts its perhaps not as strong a team as in recent years with the team lacking a couple of real quality players.

Don't panic Mr Mannering.

Ron + Tilly will look after us!

Hammo

Totaly agree.

we need to look past this season and look at the big picture - sure it be good to get promoted but not at the cost of the club we need to stablise get the new ground and then better players will want to play for us - my only worry for this season is we have a lot of players on short time loans who may choose to move on.

I often struggle to comprehend views of football fans in general.

The problem is we are all better managers than any current manager in the world when we make comments with hindsight.

I think if we as fans are willing to accept Bailey has gone because he wanted out then we have to accept that replacing him like for like may never happen.

Gower has been a solid performer in the first XI for years and likewise a replacement just isn't going to happen overnight.

I think with the club building Fossetts it could in some areas cloud perceptions of ambition, current and future directions that we are heading.

The team now has to mould again and work as a unit which Steve Tilson has been so brilliant at getting us to do in recent years. Most of you indeed support Steve Tilson and rightly so. As in an ideal world he would not have been in a position to sell such influential players!

Fossetts suggests that Ron wishes to go places and I have no doubts he does. But I think the development there is something that should be left to one side at the moment and is much more of a bargaining tool for potential staff in a few years time.

I am guessing that he is working towards a long term plan. As he said, if we don't get promotion this year he deems it a failure. That sure is ambition! That is great to hear that from our chairman. However, when the club sells players that Steve has based a team around it makes on the field business very difficult and achieving success and maintaining it is a damn site harder.

That is perhaps why he said (according to J) that changes would be made if promotion is not achieved and not necessarily with management. But then again you wouldn't put that burden onto a manager and his team at the beginning of a season would you?

I don't think we should be worrying at the moment. Nor do I think promotion is essential. I can't believe that is expected by the actions that the board have taken by accepting bids for our team. If the club are operating at a loss then it is clear to me that by offloading some of the club's highest earner and entering Fossetts playing League 1 football with perhaps the best stadium in the division will soon start to turn around the fortunes of the club's financial position off the pitch which in turn could result in a more successful Southend United Football Club in perhaps 5 or 10 years down the line.

Ofcourse you go on what you see now. But Steve Tilson only has what he is given at his disposal and by all accounts its perhaps not as strong a team as in recent years with the team lacking a couple of real quality players.

Don't panic Mr Mannering.

Ron + Tilly will look after us!

Hammo

Good post. But I think you mean, Mr Mainwaring!

I must say that ranks as one of the most intelligent and carefully thought through posts of the past two weeks. Well done Hammo.

Sanity Warning!
The poster Hammo has been identified as a supporter who is sane.
As such all his posts should be ignored.

In all seriousness though :clap: Well Said.

Londonblue - I did mean Mr. Mainwaring!! Poor effort from me. I refuse to get that wrong again.

Thanks chaps for your kind comments.

It is just at times important to be realistic and take a step back and look in from a more neutral view point to help gain some perspective. After all we are all in this together as Southend United FC and want to help move forward with the club.

Hammo

NEG REP HIM NEG REP HIM!!! He has a positive outlook on SUFC, he doesnt think we're heading to non league...get him!! string him up!!! boo to you all!!! boooooo!!! boooooo!!!

My views:

1. Sack Tilson
  2. Sack the board
  3. Employ Jeff King, he's well successful ain't he like?
  4. Move to Park Lane, Canvey
  5. Sign the entire Chelmsford City team
  6. Sign Lee Boylan
  7. Spend the last of our money resigning Chris Powell, Brett Angell, Ricky Otto, Freddy Eastwood and Michael Kightly
  8. Kick Tilson off the end of Southend pier, he deserves an unceremonious sacking again
  9. Challenge for the Ryman Premier
...Or something ;)

And I forgot, strip all recent honours from our history, as it'll mean then that people can have a moan and actually substaniate their claims properly.

Londonblue - I did mean Mr. Mainwaring!! Poor effort from me. I refuse to get that wrong again.

Thanks chaps for your kind comments.

It is just at times important to be realistic and take a step back and look in from a more neutral view point to help gain some perspective. After all we are all in this together as Southend United FC and want to help move forward with the club.

Hammo

Good man. If you ever get that wrong again...

As for the rest of the post, I agree. It is important not to let emotion cloud judgement. Thankfully RM and the rest of the board seem to let their heads rule their hearts and keep an eye on the bigger, longer term picture.

Back