• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Campbell

crangoner

⭐⭐
Touches briefly on his time at Southend

Sol Campbell: I could have helped England at Euro 2020 – but no one’s called me

Former international has been rejected for 16 jobs in 11 months despite strong start as a manager, he tells Henry Winter

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-at-euro-2020-but-no-ones-called-me-hgc66zg3r
Sol Campbell has been to six tournaments with England, defending with such distinction that he was named in the all-star XIs at the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004. Drawing on his experience of 73 internationals, Campbell looks at the England centre backs heading into Euro 2020 and would love the opportunity to work with them.

Campbell wishes Gareth Southgate’s side well this summer, of course, and is well aware of the manager’s defensive coaching qualities, but feels his own experience is being wasted. “No one’s called,” Campbell reflects, sadly.

“I’d love to help, but they’re happy with what they’ve got. I’m always up for my country. I loved playing for England, loved passing on my knowledge, because I’m a very detailed guy. I’ve played since Lilleshall [the FA’s national school, which he attended at 16]. I know England inside out.

“I see a lot of things that maybe some people don’t see in the player, the positioning, the movement and the timing. I can correct things quite easily. I don’t miss a trick — I’m always on it. That’s what players need at the highest level. They need a little bit of fine-tuning when it comes down to the tournaments. Why not have expertise, someone who comes in [just for tournaments]? Doesn’t even have to be full-time. It’s just those fine details, those nuggets, that information that can make the difference.
“We’ve got a chance [of winning]. We’re exciting going forward, everyone’s good in midfield. The art of defending needs more focus. It might come down to single goal – that single moment in the box when you need to be really on it and if you’re not, a really clever forward, making that clever run, gets the space that makes a difference. Then they lock up shop and it’s really hard.”

When did he last speak to Southgate, his old England team-mate? “Years ago,” Campbell replies.
Campbell was invited by head-hunters to discuss the England Under-21 vacancy, which is yet to be filled. “It was fantastic to be involved in the whole process but I just wasn’t what they were looking for,” he says. “Good luck to them for the future.” He admits to a frustration that he received no real feedback.
It’s a familiar theme. Campbell earned widespread praise for rescuing the apparently doomed Macclesfield Town, in Sky Bet League Two, in 2019, but beyond a difficult spell at troubled Southend United, then in League One, the phone has stopped ringing. “Of course I’m frustrated, but I can’t beat myself up,” he says. “I love football. I’m conscious I don’t want to fall out of love with football because of this. You can quite easily do that. I don’t know what they are looking for. I’m shooting in the dark.”
In the past 11 months Campbell has applied for 16 jobs, ranging from League One to the lower end of the Premier League and up in the Scottish Premiership, and had only one interview, at Sunderland. “It really hurts,” he says, of the repeated rejection. “It hurts when you don’t even hear back from people. Your CV just goes into a black hole.”

Now 46, the former Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, Portsmouth, Notts County and Newcastle United defender has recorded an hour-long documentary, Being Sol Campbell, airing on Thursday evening on talkSPORT. “I just wanted to paint a picture of the real me,” he explains.

Campbell was one of the few England players of his generation who would regularly leave the team hotel at a tournament and explore the city he was in, even if was simply to have a coffee and absorb local life. A reflective character, with a range of interests including art and politics, he has rarely been properly understood. Given that he’s a Double winner with Arsenal, and was regularly outstanding for England, Campbell deserves greater appreciation for his footballing career.
He feels more appreciated abroad. “If I go to France or South America they just know me as a performer in the football sense,” Campbell says. “They look at how I’ve done it for such a long time and against top, top players in their own country, and [how he would] nullify them, or go toe to toe. I didn’t win all the time but on average I gave fantastic performances for my country and they’ve seen that. Sometimes I feel it’s almost they are too used to you in this country and don’t really appreciate you.”
It still rankles that he captained England only three times during his international career, from 1996 to 2007. “It was a lot about PR at that time,” he says. “For whatever reason I didn’t fit the image. You started being captain and then you become vice-captain and then no captain and your career goes one way. But on the field you act like a captain and talk like a captain.” In his 2014 autobiography, Campbell claimed that he would have been “England captain for more than ten years” if he were white.
Campbell feels his colour inhibits his managerial opportunities. By contrast, some of his white former England team-mates now enjoy high-profile managerial roles. “I’d love that,” he says. “I’m happy for the guys who’ve had their opportunity to start building their career. Why can’t I build a new career? I should be allowed to. I don’t need the best budget, I don’t need the whole team full of stars. I’ve never had a budget! I can’t be judged on two teams who’ve struggled with finances.”
Campbell took over at cash-strapped Macclesfield on 27 November, 2018. “Macclesfield was difficult from the outset,” Campbell recalls. “It was crash, bang, wallop. There were little fires everywhere you had to put out, then new ones popping up. Everything was against us, but they had spirit. I got some organisation and helped that spirit and improved them, improved their fitness and their understanding about football.

“I was tested every day with guys coming in with financial problems, mental problems, football problems. I was manager, analyst, Samaritan. You have to show the human side and tell them, ‘I don’t know when, but you will get paid.’ But it’s difficult to convince someone who’s waiting on that money and is choosing between rent, mortgage, bills or child maintenance. Emotions are everywhere. They could see how passionate I was, how I can sympathise with their situation.”
Campbell guided them from the bottom of League Two to safety on the final day of the season. “That experience was great,” he says, smiling. “Yes, we stayed up, fantastic. I was crying with my wife because there was so much pressure on me, being a first job. And saving them. It was so draining mentally and physically that I started crying because it’s my passion, my love, and I put so much into it.
“But the following year it was just so difficult for me to stay. There were financial constraints, players being sold, players refusing to train, players refusing on the day not to play.” He left on 15 August, 2019.
Two months later Campbell was appointed at Southend, in League One. “I thought it was a little bit more stable, but I only found out in the last week of the January transfer window that there were embargoes and, ‘We’ve sold loads of the players.’ ”
Campbell remembers losing his promising young goalkeeper, Nathan Bishop. “I was on the way to a game [away to Doncaster Rovers on January 28, 2020], and came off the coach and our keeper had gone to Man United! OK! ‘Can I play him?’ [Campbell asked the club]. ‘No, he’s a Man United player now.’ ”
The pandemic forced the cessation of the League One season and brought Southend’s relegation on points-per-game. Campbell left on 30 June, 2020 and, since then, near-silence. Does he feel that the glass ceiling for black managers that Cyrille Regis spoke about a decade ago is still in place? “I like to think the glass is almost a thin pane now, not a thick piece,” Campbell says. “I feel there are movements, but that we can’t just see through it. You can’t all be successful but the more opportunities that are out there [the more chance there is that] a black manager will one day win the Premier League.”
Nuno Espírito Santo’s departure from Wolverhampton Wanderers has reduced the number of black managers in English football to six. “The numbers don’t lie,” Campbell says. “The numbers aren’t looking good. There are a few clubs trying to make a difference, but not everyone thinks the same. People are scared of change. That’s the trouble. But change is good.”

Seemed like he didn't really care that much when here. As though he thought he was just passing through on the way to bigger things. Stories of him not even bothering to learn players names seems to show why he was sacked. But, of course, it is all to do with skin colour, it always is. I guess that is a much easier avenue to take compared to self-reflection.

My only near contact with SC was listening and watching him on the touchline, and in those instances he showed passion and clear knowledge of what he wanted the team and players to be doing, his directions were accurate and well thought.
That is a very small part of being a manager, what he was like the other 90% of the job time others are better able to have observed.
There is a coach inside him but....

Campbell remembers losing his promising young goalkeeper, Nathan Bishop. “I was on the way to a game [away to Doncaster Rovers on January 28, 2020], and came off the coach and our keeper had gone to Man United! OK! ‘Can I play him?’ [Campbell asked the club]. ‘No, he’s a Man United player now.’ ”

I won’t go into detail cos it would make your **** itch but I will pick up on a simple detail that sums up his narcissistic trait of his of always being the victim....Mark Oxley had played the previous 4 games to this incident (if at all true) and so Sol didn’t have to worry about ‘playing’ him anyway.

Last edited:
Sol is the only sufc manager I can't really make judgement on....... MM and bond were poor managers! I hope he does get another opportunity in management. Be interested to see how he gets on at a club who isn't in court on regular basis and is given the tools to do the job.

Macclesfield and sufc were always going to be tough jobs due to financial problems.

Personality goes a long way, and i think the word is out on sol being a bit "eccentric" to put it nicely.
I reckon you're right there. I have absolutely no doubt at all that Sol's phone not ringing is mostly because everyone at the higher levels of football knows exactly what he's like.

Last edited:
Exceptional player, absolutely dreadful manager.

Is he? Have you got any inside info on that? He did well at Macclesfield and we're a ****show to manage at the best of times, so couldnt be easy. I thought he did ok bringing the kids in when he had little chance to do much else.

Genuinely interested why he's dreadful cos I'd say he's not really had a fighting chance to prove that yet either way.

Is he? Have you got any inside info on that? He did well at Macclesfield and we're a ****show to manage at the best of times, so couldnt be easy. I thought he did ok bringing the kids in when he had little chance to do much else.

Genuinely interested why he's dreadful cos I'd say he's not really had a fighting chance to prove that yet either way.
Well documented on here already - freezing players out, trying to belittle Simon Cox in front of the others (which backfired spectacularly), rubbing his wealth in their faces while they weren't being paid, and of course, the girlfriends incidents. That's just for starters.

Well documented on here already - freezing players out, trying to belittle Simon Cox in front of the others (which backfired spectacularly), rubbing his wealth in their faces while they weren't being paid, and of course, the girlfriends incidents. That's just for starters.
To be an effective manager in any walk of life and/or career certain standards have to be met. If even 10% of what is/was alleged on here was true he was not meeting them.
It is a little sad as I did think he was able to light the fire under some of our younger players.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in listening to Sol in his own words wingeing about not getting a managers job and other gripes he is on Talk sport Being Sol Campbell 7pm tonight.

I think that interview sums him up. He's never managed a whole season, never above the 3rd tier, no real history of coaching yet is saying he should be involved with England.

Someone like Graeme Jones has coached for years and is highly respected. If Campbell wants, really wants, to be a manager he should start at any level that will take him. Not be applying to Premier League jobs, get down in the muck in non-league and prove everyone wrong by sticking to it and making your way up.

He's right the numbers of ethnic minority managers is very poor, but he also comes across like a tit. I actually thought he did alright as a manager from the bits I saw on the pitch so surely that's enough to take away and get a career somewhere, isn't it?

Maybe his skin colour comes into it, but I just think he comes across really badly

Chris Powell has had loads of good jobs in football. Colour hasn't held him back. I think the problem is more to do with personality. If you can't remember or be bothered to learn all the players names, there's a huge red flag straight away. Then there was the players girlfriend incident, allegedly. On the touchline, Sol was one of the best Southend ever had. There was something not right though.

One interview Sol turned up to for a certain London club, he had done no preparation for. Everyone else had done at least the basics. Working out the weaknesses, how and with who they would improve them etc.

Not Sol, he thought he was the best candidate so only needed to turn up. Nothing wrong with confidence, especially in the football mangers world. But unbearable arrogance trumps anyones race when it comes to business.....I take nothing away from Sol's playing career but it is still a very privileged life in the PL. It seems Sol missed out on learning some of the basics in life.

One interview Sol turned up to for a certain London club, he had done no preparation for. Everyone else had done at least the basics. Working out the weaknesses, how and with who they would improve them etc.

Not Sol, he thought he was the best candidate so only needed to turn up. Nothing wrong with confidence, especially in the football mangers world. But unbearable arrogance trumps anyones race when it comes to business.....I take nothing away from Sol's playing career but it is still a very privileged life in the PL. It seems Sol missed out on learning some of the basics in life.
I've just had a very similar experience whilst interviewing students for a placement year where I work, by far the highest achievers academically with the best CV's tended to not prepare too much.

In the end the two of us conducting the interviews went for those that would best fit with the team and seemed to care about the industry rather than seeing us as a nice name on their CV

Back