• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Campbell

Hilarious and also extremely worrying

Maybe this interview is to pressure them?

I stand by my comments made at the time. Sol will NEVER work as a football manager again. I doubt very much if he’ll be used as a pundit again either. A 19 year old kid had a better grasp of statistics, tactics and personnel skills and he hated it.

Please let’s not talk about this excuse of a man until he’s back in football and the topic is his current affairs (pardon the pun!)…..PLEASE!

I so hope that you are right - one of my best mates is a QPR season ticket holder !

You’ll always get a rise out of me on this one, but I guess you know that.

But I don’t really give a f*ck anymore so who cares…..

Yes it would’ve been a perfectly appropriate advice to give a player…any player to be honest…so forgetting for a moment it was a 19 year old kid….I agree it’s a perfectly acceptable thing for a manager to say to a player he didn’t want anymore….IF :-

1. He took the player into his office to give him the news man to man, face to face.

Sol didn’t. He chose to shout it through an open changing room door as he walked down the corridor, as he left the building, in front of the entire first team playing squad leaving senior players shocked, in a cowardly, two faced, narcissistic style that he’s become known for.

2. If he then allowed that player to leave to go and try and forge a career for another manager who had different thoughts.

Sol didn’t. He then blocked a move to AFC Wimbledon and persuaded the chairman that he shouldn’t be allowed to leave despite other staff feeling he should be allowed to given the opportunity to move on given Sols behavior towards him.

3. If he’d actually spoken to the agent the next day, or any other day, to explain the problem and confirm that he wanted him to leave.

Sol didn’t. He refused to answer his phone, he refused to reply to messages and he refused offers through RD and Ron himself to sit down and meet.

By the way this all stemmed from Hutchinson approaching him during a ‘down’ spell at the end of training to ask him what he needed to improve as a player and how he could get better and put himself back in the side. Sol shuffled his feet refused eye contact and mumbled about “costing us goals” as he walked away with his back to the player. This was after the Oxford game (I think) where Dieng and Taylor had literally passed to the opposition to concede goals.

When the topic was brought up again later that week, Sol looked to humiliate the player further by saying to him he was so bad that even Tony (Colbert) had tackled him at training only to be corrected that it had in fact been Sam Barrett and that Sol and the players had just laughed about it and taken the Mickey out of Sam as banter.

The guy was clueless. Much like on live TV when he made a fool of himself by being the only person in the studio who didn’t realise Phil Foden was left footed.

Sol displayed all the traits of the egotistical, narcissist, bully that he is known for. A coward who tried to intimidate women and young players whilst not having the ‘balls’ to sit face to face, eye to eye and confront a problem.

I stand by my comments made at the time. Sol will NEVER work as a football manager again. I doubt very much if he’ll be used as a pundit again either. A 19 year old kid had a better grasp of statistics, tactics and personnel skills and he hated it.

Please let’s not talk about this excuse of a man until he’s back in football and the topic is his current affairs (pardon the pun!)…..PLEASE!

Thanks for this - it is more interesting information that I have previously seen .. it is a clear critique of various incidents relating to his management of Hutchinson .

Despite the unpleasantness I get by bringing this up I am not suggesting that Sol Campbell is a good manager or a wonderful human being or that he should get a job at Real Madrid or Crawley Town.

As is widely reported he is definitely an odd ball - possibly neuro diverse - as they call it these days - radio rental as was more common before.

BUT I was assured that there was far more serious ****e going down than being useless at manging young talent - AND I love GOSSIP and have been holding my breath ever since for some serious dirt ...

I mean at one point I did hear mention of a picture of him with his SHIRT OFF but thats not exactly in the love child league ..

TBH I am pretty disappointed by this thread - nothing really juicy on it at all ;-)

Go to the actual pod and the last minute or two are more revealing.

54’20” Cox is asked who the worst manager he ever played for was……

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4KYPKh3Vc7v1XlqdZMf4nJ?si=5XQtbhBgQ0eQDHdq0rDEBg

Interesting again ...

I had heard that Cox was not always a positive influence around the place - had half an eye on the managers job and happy to compare SUFC unfavourably to the massive clubs he played at and of course his "international career"

I speak with absolute authority on these matters as my seat in the west stand is only 3 rows from the pitch ...

Guessing SC received a trumpet for Christmas as seen (read) here blowing it full toot;

🎺

Well documented on here already - freezing players out, trying to belittle Simon Cox in front of the others (which backfired spectacularly), rubbing his wealth in their faces while they weren't being paid, and of course, the girlfriends incidents. That's just for starters.
add to that...he didn't know the name of the team he was managing

Back