• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Not on Furlough!

never been a fan of "i am your boss, lets have a chat" ... its sort of patronising and frankly often very intrusive ..... ... but there is about two pages of contributions fom highly successful mangers who all know best ... so I will stand corrected.

Obviously all these grown men need an arm round their shoulder and a mental health check and 20 minutes of idle chatter ... "Hi player - how are you ? Yep... just in the process of decidng your future- Hows the kids these days?"

At the end of the day as he is so unpopular and universally useless - according to the ITK - i don't suppose anyone would pick up or return the call..

As for the detailed analysis of his personality etc - it is quite probable - and maybe sometimes often the case - that to be a really successful athlete or anything - you are an unusual character ..

Of course its football - so when he is sacked with SUFC in the relegation zone of L2 or leaves as a better opportunity has come up at Orient I will not be surprisd

This is basic man management, it has nothing to do with football, and yes there may/or may not be some 'highly successful managers' contributing on this thread,

I'm not surprised he hasn't spoken to anyone.

He couldn't even get the clubs name right.

He doesn't even get the players names right.

He sees managing us as more of a hobby than a job. The man is minted. How many managers can say they are worth 50 million.

If he dragged us down to the conference it would not affect him at all.

We need to get a lower league manager in. Someone who needs to be successful to get by in life. Has the drive and motivation.

I'm not sure Sol has that.

Has anyone asked Sol for his side of the story? Just for purposes of fairness and balance. I agree with the fact that you don’t have to like your manager or even agree with their methods but respect is important. I do feel that generally, everywhere these days, there’s a lack of respect for authority and football is no different. Certain players had a lack of respect for Powell, Bond, Waddock and now Campbell it seems ??‍♂️..

Last edited:
Has anyone asked Sol for his side of the story? Just for purposes of fairness and balance. I agree with the fact that you don’t have to like your manager or even agree with their methods but respect is important. I do feel that generally, everywhere these days, there’s a lack of respect for authority and football is no different. Certain players had a lack of respect for Powell, Bond, Waddock and now Campbell it seems ??‍♂️..

Agree it would be great to hear from Sol. It appears he effectively downed tools in March though and is no longer managing our club. I'm sure he has his reasons for this and it would be good to hear them.

The lack of communication, the constant cryptic nonsense on social media, the sky appearance.. all these things are starting to wonder if he is worthy of my support.

I’m in the belief that on the field, despite the relegation we have actually improved with Sol. Given the tools at his disposal we’ve had some pretty decent performances and results and the younger players especially seem to be playing for him. That said, not speaking to any of them throughout this whole pandemic, the link with the vacant Bolton job (albeit in the press more than Sol himself) it just seems like he tries to distant himself to the club at times. I’m not sure if he is the man to stick around next season and rebuild.

We only improved in the sense we stopped getting smashed. We still lost a large share of the games. The team got a bit more energetic and we got some young lads in trying to prove their worth. Sol has not made us better

Until we get some stable investment, a full-time manager who cares about the club and a CEO to steer the ship, the pathway we're on at the moment will lead to this club going under.

I'd say we're only a 50-50 shot to still be around in a year's time.

Results-wise I don't think Sol could have done much better than he did. It must have been extremely embarrassing for those clubs who lost to us, a bunch of children and donkeys of various descriptions. My only issue with Sol is that if he doesn't want to manage us any more he should come out and say it so we can begin the rescue mission for next season. The longer this drags on the better the chances are of us being relegated or going bust (or likely both) next year.

This respect thing that many have mentioned is surely a trait of modern society? Not always the younger generation but rioting, abusing Police, Health Workers and the like and dumping tons of rubbish on beaches etc......surely signs of a general lack of respect running through Society. Not just towards football managers methinks? Rant over.

Sol has not made us better

Here are the statistics for how many games we have lost, under Bond, Waddock & Sol;

Bond - 66.6%

Waddock - 62.5%

*Campbell - 61.9%

It seems a long time ago now, that the overwhelming majority of this forum wanted Chris Powell gone, with his losing record of 48.1%

*Edited*

Last edited:
Here are the statistics for how many games we have lost, under Bond, Waddock & Sol;

Bond - 66.6%

Waddock - 62.5%

Campbell - 70%

It seems a long time ago now, that the overwhelming majority of this forum wanted Chris Powell gone, with his losing record of 48.1%

As much as we all wanted Powell to succeed. He inherited some very good players and replaced them with some dross.

He was unlucky with injuries but some of the tactics and lack of general fitness was really bad.

That said I liked powell much more than Bond and like Sol even less.

Bond - 66.6%

Waddock - 62.5%

Campbell - 70%

According to Wikipedia these figures don't seem to be correct, Wikipedia figures are:

(P–W–D–L)

Bond 15–3–2–10 (games lost 66.67%)
Waddock 9–1–2–6 (games lost 66.67%)
Campbell 23–4–5–14 (games lost 60.87%)

All of them are very poor records but results under Campbell were, under most criteria, better.

Last edited:
As much as we all wanted Powell to succeed. He inherited some very good players and replaced them with some dross.

He was unlucky with injuries but some of the tactics and lack of general fitness was really bad.

That said I liked powell much more than Bond and like Sol even less.

I’ll always agree that some of Powell’s signings were god awful. FWIW, I think he knew that himself, and would have made changes if he’d been allowed to.

It’s also worth remembering that our wage budget at that point was incredibly high - thanks to Ron & Phil - so Powell may not have had much freedom to move in the transfer market.

Looking back now, I’d rather we had gone down that season with Powell, and given him the chance to put things right... I.e. clear out the high earners, get over the injury crisis and allow him to rebuild from there. Let’s not forget, that for every Mantom & Dieng we signed, we also found a few gems in Hopper, Hump, Moore & Hart.

Who knows, maybe right now we’d be on our way back to Lg1, instead of vacating it.

According to Wikipedia these figures don't seem to be correct:

(P–W–D–L)

Bond 15–3–2–10 (games lost 66.67%)
Waddock 9–1–2–6 (games lost 66.67%)
Campbell 23–4–5–14 (games lost 60.87%)

All of them are very poor records but results under Campbell were, under most criteria, better.

I was counting league games only, based on this....

But regardless, you’re right, I was wrong with Sol’s figures.

Bond - 8 losses from 12 - 66.6%

Waddock - 5 losses from 8 - 62.5%

Sol - 13 losses from 21 - 61.9%

Sidelining positive experienced available non injured first team pro's and using untested youth players for egotistical reasons.
Isn't that what many people on here wanted? The whole 'what's the worst that could happen' mentality.
We only improved in the sense we stopped getting smashed. We still lost a large share of the games. The team got a bit more energetic and we got some young lads in trying to prove their worth. Sol has not made us better
The fact that we stopped getting smashed was progress at least. We were so, so, bad under Bond - on a scale of 0-10 we were -10 (using the Spinal Tap scale) - that we had a huge mountain to climb. Sol and his team made us fitter and more competitive in a short space of time. He experimented with styles of play, different systems, players in different positions (Dieng at the back, Elvis at CB, Demi in CM, etc). Some worked, some didn't but at least it showed he was committed to the job and trying to improve us.

Our performances and wins against Lincoln and Bristol Rovers were no flukes and hugely encouraging. Obviously we weren't going to stay up but those two wins made us look like a proper united team again and put smiles on fans' faces.

I'm not going to defend Sol's alleged actions/behaviour off the pitch since lockdown began but then again the reaction to some of his weird and cryptic stuff on social media has been a bit over the top IMO. He's always been an aloof, resentful and frankly weird character so nothing has particularly surprised me.

I am just wondering in which corner of RH the gallows have been erected? It might be sensible to wait until Ron dons the black cloth on his bouffant before we hang the manager. I previously stated I have found it hard to warm to him but I have little to no evidence by which to convict him.

His methods, seemingly, are 'odd,' but I prefer to judge him on results. Not his past results with us, having joined us in an impossible situation, but his future results when he has had the chance to assemble his own team.

If he goes, sobeit, but should he stay I hope he bundles the negativity of this thread and utilises it in the same way Ridgewell uses bank notes. I get the feeling this is less a thread and more of a kangaroo court.

I am just wondering in which corner of RH the gallows have been erected? It might be sensible to wait until Ron dons the black cloth on his bouffant before we hang the manager. I previously stated I have found it hard to warm to him but I have little to no evidence by which to convict him.

His methods, seemingly, are 'odd,' but I prefer to judge him on results. Not his past results with us, having joined us in an impossible situation, but his future results when he has had the chance to assemble his own team.

If he goes, sobeit, but should he stay I hope he bundles the negativity of this thread and utilises it in the same way Ridgewell uses bank notes. I get the feeling this is less a thread and more of a kangaroo court.

It’s a fans forum that offers different opinions , otherwise it would be just another clique circle, always slapping each other’s back

We gone from Phil Brown always spurting day to day saying this and that to Sol who is as quiet as a church mouse.No wonder fans are p off with lack of communication

Sol’s a complete ****taker then. Wasn’t a fan of his appointment in the first place and he’s done nothing to endear me to him since. He got a tune out of some of the players, but everything else he’s brought with him isn’t remotely desirable.

Back