• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol

Whatever you think of Sol as a man, what he was promised and what Ron gave him were 2 very different things. I mentioned on here before that when Tony Colbert came in he put the players on a fitness regime with various dietary suppliments and these were stopped after the 1st month for costing too much. Sol also found that we hadn't paid our subscription to a scouting tool that is a staple of all professional football clubs. I think Sol's team is very good and with a club that can afford these things I think the team would get a tune out of the players. From the "rumours" that can't be spoken of and his unusual character Sol certainly has his downsides. I would expect Sol's time hear to have been a learning curve though and I think his team would bring success. It would be interesting to see if he gets a decent job (I don't think he's got a chance of the Sunderland one), just to see whether he can evolve and put his time here behind him. Footballers talk so wherever he ends up people will know the rumours.

Agreed. We love a good Sol bashing on here because of situations off the pitch which disgusted and gutted me, because If I am being honest I didn't mind the way he started to get us playing, it became pretty tolerable coming to Roots hall in the latter part of the season (4 draws in a row, home wins against Bristol Rovers and Lincoln)

People have took that one downside about him and used it to create a blanket narrative that he is not a good manager. Before us he done a very good job at Maccelsfield and now is being lined up for big jobs elsewhere, theres a reason for this. Sheff wed and Sunderland are massive clubs with directors, CEOs and the like. Basically they are run properly compared to us, they aren't stupid. They all clearly see something in Sol, I really would not be surprised if he goes on to do well.

Looks
Agreed. We love a good Sol bashing on here because of situations off the pitch which disgusted and gutted me, because If I am being honest I didn't mind the way he started to get us playing, it became pretty tolerable coming to Roots hall in the latter part of the season (4 draws in a row, home wins against Bristol Rovers and Lincoln)

People have took that one downside about him and used it to create a blanket narrative that he is not a good manager. Before us he done a very good job at Maccelsfield and now is being lined up for big jobs elsewhere, theres a reason for this. Sheff wed and Sunderland are massive clubs with directors, CEOs and the like. Basically they are run properly compared to us, they aren't stupid. They all clearly see something in Sol, I really would not be surprised if he goes on to do well.
lLooks like he hasn’t got the Sunderland job. Obviously they aren’t stupid . Obviously saw nothing in Sol .

True, but they did once appoint Di Canio.

I’ve listened to a few podcasts where ex players have played under him and said he’s the best manager they’ve played for. Some of the best football they’ve played was under his management.

Cannot imagine a single player ever saying that about Sol.

having watched Sunderland Till I Die I could well see those owners going for Sol and it being a disaster. I think he's dodged a bullet, though Johnson is clearly a good manager

Back