• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ticket News Solihull (a) - fixture announced for next Tuesday 26 March 7:45pm

This has happened before in January 2003 we had a game at Shrewsbury postponed on the Saturday and rearranged for the Tuesday after.Im not sure but i think we had a game at Grimsby in 1989 postponed but rearranged arranged very quickly too

First missed away game since Dagenham in August (had to bail and sell ticket due to covid). Bizarre decision to organise at such short notice and now 4 games in 9 days for both teams. Tuesday 16th April makes much more sense to me.

I guess it was either that or the 16th April
Would have preferred that.
More time to plan travel and one more day's rest for the players.
Oh! I forgot, they, nor us count.
How does it work? Does one side propose a date, or do the NL impose?

One for @Shrimperstrust to take up.

1. This is where the club needs more transparency.

It’s been known for some time that the Solihull game was liable to be called off if they progressed.

There was no reason why a contingency date couldn’t have been agreed in advance in case needed and communicated to fans. To have less than a week’s notice for something that the clubs knew was likely over a month ago is frankly insulting.

2. It sucks to have it the same night as an England game. If there are alternative dates available use those dates. I suspect Solihull are to blame here as they want their players fresh for the playoffs.

3. It is ridiculous to be playing 4 games in 10 days when we have only two games after 9th April. It’s too late to change this season’s (ridiculous) end date but hopefully we can be a voice for change for next season. Start the season later (and avoid the extreme heat) and play into May.

Firstly, it’s absolutely right for fans to be pointing out there should be more notice. As others have said, it’s been known since Solihull won their last 16 tie that this was a possibility; it’s been known for 11 days now that they would be playing in The FA Trophy on 6th April.

However, I have some sympathy with the National League here. Due to other rearrangements, there were very few available dates; this midweek was effectively ruled out by the England C fixture (I don’t imagine Eastleigh were chuffed missing their 30-goal leading scorer last night against Barnet), the midweek after Easter leaves 2 days between that and a Wednesday, with the other options being 26th March or 16th April.

I suspect the league would rather there were at least 3 days between matches wherever possible (not possible in Wealdstone’s case due to an even bigger backlog) and that 16th April is considered a sensible contingency for any further postponements.

The clash with a full England international is unfortunate, but if it was changed to the Wednesday, there would only be 2 days before the Good Friday games. It’s unlikely we’d move the Easter Monday game to Tuesday, or Ebbsfleet would agree to moving Good Friday’s game to Saturday at this short notice, to facilitate that and providing sufficient rest for players between matches.

And if it was on 16th April, there would then be 4 matches in 11 days to end the season, so very little difference to this sequence of 4 in 10.

The early end to the season is, I believe, a knock-on effect of Wembley hosting the Champions League final this season. There’s rightly a desire for the National League play-off final to be held at Wembley rather than elsewhere, and there has been kick-back when it’s not been there due to location and pricing. The subsequent weekends are taken up by Non-League Finals Day/FA Womens’s Cup, League 1/2 Play-Offs, FA Cup/Championship Play-Off. There’s genuinely a lot of thought and unseen work that goes into planning fixtures and making it all work.

The main issue here is the notice for supporters to make adequate arrangements to attend and support their teams; that’s what I believe the focus should be on.

Five of us going from Hawkwell/Billericay. Love England but never over Southend and let’s face it the England game won’t offer much excitement. Only missed two away this season and missing Fylde so no way I’m missing this

Couldn’t think of anything more dull than watching England play a friendly. Amazed that this is even a consideration for people over a Southend game.

£22 to watch a 9 game unbeaten, but poor performance, Southend in the south of Birmingham... With a terrible away form this season, and a terrible northern away form since Maher took over... (Or free/£10 if you stream...)

or

£25 to watch a fairly impressive England squad pre-Euros at Wembley, or free on the telly.

If we were chasing play offs, or playing for something, maybe I'd watch Southend. But I would rather watch England instead of Bridge stuttering on the edge of the box and Sandat not be able to head the ball...

£22 to watch a 9 game unbeaten, but poor performance, Southend in the south of Birmingham... With a terrible away form this season, and a terrible northern away form since Maher took over... (Or free/£10 if you stream...)

or

£25 to watch a fairly impressive England squad pre-Euros at Wembley, or free on the telly.

If we were chasing play offs, or playing for something, maybe I'd watch Southend. But I would rather watch England instead of Bridge stuttering on the edge of the box and Sandat not be able to head the ball...
Well some of us support the team no what the league position is 👍

or

Perhaps you should reflect on why you should call yourself a Southend Supporter.

or

I mean six away defeats all season is just awful. Perhaps if you think of South of Birmingham as not being Northern but rather the Midlands maybe you’d attend. It’s certainly south of Leeds. Then again sounds like you only support your team if they’re meet your requirements. Interesting way of supporting your team.

or

So basically unless Southend are top of the league winning every week playing great football you won’t bother. Guess supporting a team isn’t for you unless maybe it’s Man City. As for England I’m as patriotic as the next and will defo be watching in the summer but even if we werent away Tuesday i probably wouldn’t watch much of the England game. Friendlies are dead now. As for impressive England, we have huge potential but it’s stifled by Southgate. We went to the Malta game a few months ago, worst game of football we’ve seen this season. Dull, boring, no passion and Wembley bored. Most entertaining thing was watching people throw paper aeroplanes

Last edited:
Back