• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend 0 Brighton 0

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ July 29 2004,11:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 29 2004,11:29)]the Seagulls are, after all, two divisions above us.
if last night is anything to go by Matt, then not for long
Why do you say that? Surely you can't be suggesting that scraping a draw against Southend "Premiership-club-in-waiting" United is anything other than a brilliant result for Brighton... I'm sure it has filled them with confidence for their forthcoming campaign in "The Championship".

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 29 2004,13:03)]Well, here's hoping...

wink.gif

cool.gif

Matt
Pray why, Sir Matt, should we want a player who left IMHO with delusions of grandeur when he was patently no better than an inexperienced 3rd division player at the time.  Personally I felt that another season at our level might have seen him improve to make him a possiblity for the 2nd division.

Since then he has proved himself as a top 2nd & 1st division signing by making 8, that's eight BTW, league starts in 3 years!!  Add to that 14 league subs and the vast number of 3 + 1 FAC etc appearances, the pinnacle of which must have been his 1 game for Thurrock in the FAC, in what soccerbase lists as a 4mth loan period.  Hellfire that's less appearances in 3 seasons than the World's Greatest Living Centre Forward usually makes & he's only got one leg!

We made him an offer 3 years ago which he thought he was better than, a la Len Constance, & he's proved to have been wrong IMO, so lets not go back over more old ground.  We've taken on 2 ex players in Eagle & Spinner, but look at their records since they left, they've played & played & played again, mainly at a higher level than us not sat there warming 3rd rate team's benches.

Hoolio (not a member of the DLAS)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ July 29 2004,13:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 29 2004,13:03)]Well, here's hoping...

wink.gif
cool.gif

Matt
Pray why, Sir Matt, should we want a player who left IMHO with delusions of grandeur when he was patently no better than an inexperienced 3rd division player at the time.
1. Because I liked him as a player - thought he had bags of talent, especially in terms of shooting at goal and in ball control.

2. Because he was a kid, who made a bad call (or who was poorly advised) - and has paid the price. I'm for giving him a second chance... and if he repays the faith shown in him by busting a gut for us, then he could be a huge asset for us.

3. Because I bet he'd be cheap, wages-wise. If not, then I would not say that getting him back would be in our best interests, BTW.

4. Because I say so.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ July 29 2004,14:43)]We made him an offer 3 years ago which he thought he was better than, a la Len Constance, & he's proved to have been wrong IMO, so lets not go back over more old ground.
You're argument doesn't hold much water when it's obvious you're making up player's in order to prove your point.

I am sure we've never had a player called Len Constance playing for us.

Admit it... you're cheating.

tounge.gif

I agree with CI-City Blue on this... Whilst David Lee could do a job for us, realistically we would have to wait to see what happens with our existing squad and with competition for a place in the squad in every position, it seems pointless taking on somebody to warm our bench at Roots Hall.
smile.gif

It's all up to Jay Smith to fight his way into the side come September?/October? and hold his place down!
cool.gif

1. He had a bit of talent, but I thought many people overrated him, as his meagre appearances stats seem to prove.
2. Don't do 2nd chances, as I'm a miserable old git.
3. He must be on more at BHA in the Super Mega Hyper Championship, surely.  And we've filled our squad so someone would have to go.
4. Ok fair enough.  
rock.gif
 But does that mean we can have Graeme Jones back if I say so?  
biggrin.gif

Hoolio
(AS Monaco branch)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ July 29 2004,14:01)]I agree with CI-City Blue on this... Whilst David Lee could do a job for us, realistically we would have to wait to see what happens with our existing squad and with competition for a place in the squad in every position, it seems pointless taking on somebody to warm our bench at Roots Hall.  
smile.gif

It's all up to Jay Smith to fight his way into the side come September?/October? and hold his place down!  
cool.gif
And Smithy may still find himself the odd man out, if Bentley starts the season and does well....

And thanks for agreeing with me - that's two people in two days if you count TommyTwoHoles....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ July 29 2004,14:00)]I am sure we've never had a player called Len Constance playing for us.

Admit it... you're cheating.
Damn.  Caught out again.  
sad.gif

I usually rely on people not noticing as they're used to me spouting complete b******s.  
biggrin.gif
 Hopefully I made up Graeme Jones as well, or was he real?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ July 29 2004,14:10)]And Smithy may still find himself the odd man out, if Bentley starts the season and does well....
well if Maher continues his pre-season form into the season, he should be dropped with Smith and Bentley in centre-midfield.
Tilson should show more balls than Newman, Wignall et al and drop 'Captain Marvel' if he isn't performing

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ July 29 2004,14:06)]1. He had a bit of talent, but I thought many people overrated him, as his meagre appearances stats seem to prove.
2. Don't do 2nd chances, as I'm a miserable old git.
3. He must be on more at BHA in the Super Mega Hyper Championship, surely.  And we've filled our squad so someone would have to go.
4. Ok fair enough.  
rock.gif
 But does that mean we can have Graeme Jones back if I say so?  
biggrin.gif

Hoolio
(AS Monaco branch)
1. Perhaps; but I also think he's been unlucky.
2. I don't do third chances, but I'm a big believer in second chances.
3. Quite possibly; for me, the wages would be a key element, and tie in to the second chance point - it would demonstrate how badly he wanted to prove himself, and to redeem himself in our eyes. If he was swanning around demanding a grand a week, I'd tell him to Foxtrot Oscar.
4. Maybe... but surely we'd have to beat off the attentions of Real Madrid; after all, isn't it the "millionarios" policy to sign the world's best player in every position...?

tounge.gif

MtS
(Greenwich branch)
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ July 29 2004,15:13)]Hopefully I made up Graeme Jones as well, or was he real?
It pains me to say it... but yes, Mr. G Jones was absolutely real.

Sorry.

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 29 2004,14:14)]1. Perhaps; but I also think he's been unlucky.
Please bear with me Matt but try to enlighten me on behalf of the DaLAS.  How does 8 starts in 3 seasons count as unlucky, or have I missed a career threatening injury somewhere along the line (if so I apologise to DL & hope him well).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ July 29 2004,14:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ July 29 2004,14:10)]And Smithy may still find himself the odd man out, if Bentley starts the season and does well....
well if Maher continues his pre-season form into the season, he should be dropped with Smith and Bentley in centre-midfield.
Tilson should show more balls than Newman, Wignall et al and drop 'Captain Marvel' if he isn't performing
Oy, leave Captain Marvel alone and judge him when the games really matter !

EDIT - And yes, if he is not performing then drop him, but this is about as likely as Napster scoring a hat-trick for SZFC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ July 29 2004,15:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 29 2004,14:14)]1. Perhaps; but I also think he's been unlucky.
Please bear with me Matt but try to enlighten me on behalf of the DaLAS.  How does 8 starts in 3 seasons count as unlucky...
Unlucky in terms of losing form, not settling in, being poorly advised, things not working out with the manager, burning his toast, walking under a ladder whilst a black cat crossed his path on Friday 13th...

Y'know, that sort of unlucky.

tounge.gif

Matt

P.S. I think he's had a fair few injuries too - nothing career-threatening, as far as I'm aware, but lots of wee knocks, probably related to his reasonably slight build...

I'm sure everyone is bored by us & David Lee now so my last comments will be that -

1. if he's lost form why are we wanting to sign a sh*t player

2. if he's had a number of injuries, despite playing very little competitive football, why sign another possible crock.  

We've taken a risk with Dudders whose history has been a bit blighted, Jay Smith is a great talent who's even more unlucky, Pettefer looks good to me but we signed him whilst he actaully had a broken leg, Tes has more sicknesses than the BMA have doctors to heal him, Corbett & Husbands both missed most of last season.  Have I missed anyone?  Oh, yes Drewe injured himself on Monday trying to take out an advertising hoarding, having missed the keeper he was originally aiming for!

I think we can do without another possible injury prone player!  So CheWHY (and even I've got to admit Cheese has been good in pre-season) say no to DaLAS.

But I respect your opinion.  Yea right!  
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blue sky @ July 29 2004,09:38)]Technician - thanks for the comments.
Interesting how people see the game in a differnt light. I actually Thought Bentley (1st H) and Hunt (2nd H) were the pick of our midfield. Hunt had 1 shot that rocked the bar.
I felt Gower had a reluctance to take on their right-back (who should of been subbed by Brighton after that awful lunge on Gower - could of been a straight red in a league match). I appreciate Gower is still coming back after his op but he just looks a tad short of his best of last season.

Mention to Husbands - he looked dangerous on the right with his pace and thought he did enough to grab that spot in the starting 11 ahead of Pettefer.

I agree about the back 4 - its a nice dilemma for Tilly to have 3 quality centre-halfs to choose from, But Prior looks different class to everyone else.

Keeper wise - I still cant agree with the 'Darryl is better' brigade. Sure he made a couple of good saves and even cmae for some crosses, but his distribution is not as good and his kicking is wayward. Did anyone else notice how much distance Bart gets on his dead-ball kicks?

I'm still undecided about the forwards, neither Gray nor Bramble quite look like they've booked a slot yet.  - My feeling is it will be Dudfield plus one other to start.

My starting line up would be....

Bart

Jupp
Prior
Barret/Edwards
Nicolau

Gower
Maher/Hunt
Bentley
Husbands

Dudfield + 1 from Gray/Drewe/Tes
cant believe it still, flahavan made another two great saves and again Bart does not look confident. Daryl will start he looks the best keeper by a mile

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blue sky @ July 29 2004,11:06)]Matt - it seemed it was mostly the U-11's abusing David Lee and Nathan Jones.
Most abuse was (rightly) directed at their No.2 after his awful challenge on Gower. Also seemed to be something late-on involving their No.14 - anyone see what that was about?
yeah there Arnold look-a-like from diffewrent strokes head butted Kightly down near the touchline, neither the ref or lino saw it though. Then he got booked for going in late on him, obviously Kightly asked him 'What you talking about willis'.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Got any Spall shorts @ July 29 2004,17:02)]cant believe it still, flahavan made another two great saves and again Bart does not look confident. Daryl will start he looks the best keeper by a mile
Take a bow son, utter bollox yet again.

Back