• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend 1-0 Barrow

The fact of the matter is that today we won despite a sending off, MM quite possibly getting his selection wrong and without really being overly stretched.

This league really isn’t very good and there’s enough in the squad to keep us safe now. The fact that Carlisle and Forest green who didn’t really rate are you at the top end of the table says it all.

Still a lot of work to be done so I certainly wouldn’t want any complacency. I’d like to give a bit of credit to MM in terms of the signings he has made. All of them have been of decent quality and of even better attitude so credit to him where it’s due. Be interesting to see how he does over the next few years if we were to stay in the league. Another big game next week.

Good performance by John White and Dieng in particular today. McCormack proved me wrong in terms of his legs and obviously showed his experience.

Well done all, up the Blues!!!

Oxley 8
Bwomono 7
White 7
Hobson 6
Halford 4
Hart 5
Demetriou 6
Dieng 9 MOTM, Immense again
Hackett 7
Olayinka 6
Akinola 7

ANG 7
McCormack 7
Taylor R 6

Huge 3 points, so proud of the team for hanging on and MM for his reshaping after going down to 10. To keep Barrow and Quigley to a clean sheet and really only 1 save from Ox was outstanding. Onwards and upwards against a dispirited Grimsby next week. UTB

MOTM Mark Molesley

Great team selection and setup, and brilliant subs at exactly the right time. Went 4-4-1 after Halford was sent off and then dropped Dieng back to centre back and brought Macca on to play a 5-2-1-1 with Elvis and Hart staying back. Barrow went backwards and forwards, side to side, but couldn’t create anything credible. Hats off to MM, he absolutely aced it.

Great team performance all in all. Solid from Elvis and Akinola worked his nuts off up front as a lone forward. Expected better from Halford with his experience, it was a silly second challenge to make. But three incredibly valuable points on the board.

Happy ****ing Saturday shrimpers ?

Sorry, I completely disagree. We were doing nothing in the first half, as we had no outlets. MM should have taken Halford off at half time and changed the formation

Another win for the Blues. Five wins, two draws and just the 3 losses from the last ten games means we’re in playoff form.

One or two additions before the end of January and we have every chance of securing our league status.

Amazing what can happen when a P.E. Teacher is given some time & backing.

UTFB

great stuff ... 2 games in hand and only one point off 91st

A hard thought win with 3 massive points. Each to man, the lads put a shift in this afternoon and despite giving up much of the possession to Barrow, we never really looked threatened. Even when we went down to ten men, Barrow rarely troubled us. It wasn't a brilliant performance, we can and will play much better than this so to come away with the win and another clean sheet will only boost our ever growing confidence. Big shoutout to Reeco, he was on the edge of the game for most of it but he took his goal extremely well on his debut/birthday no less. Also Simeon Akinola, what a breathe of fresh air this lad a has been. He didn't have many goal scoring opportunities but he is a constant nuisance to defenders. His work rate is infectious. Such a hard working player compared to some of those that have gone before him.

We move on to Grimsby next weekend. An away game but that really doesn't phase me. They took a beating today at Port Vale and have dropped in to the bottom two. We are just one point behind them (and both Barrow and Stevenage) despite playing less games than them. Believe it or not, Grimsby also have a worse goal difference than us! We've gone from being dead certs according to some on here and many in the media to suddenly being one of the form teams in the league with more than a chance to survive.

Ox - commanding display and took a yellow for the team. I thought the save was better than the commentary said. Positioning perfect
Elvis - apart from a couple of weird zig zag giveaways he seems to have improved his defensive stuff
White - a little late with a couple of challenges on the edge of the box but reads the game well and very dependable on 50\50s
Hobson - soaks up knowledge from experience around him and shows improvement each game. Plus proving very versatile.
Halford - other than a great throw, looks cumbersome and nowhere near ready for matchtime. Difficult circumstances for him tbf, but not worth keeping in my mind.
Hart - thought he had a very good game other than a potentially disastrous challenge - getting fitter every game
Olayinka - gets himself in great positions but that first touch and balance is still in fledgeling mode. An experienced player would have got us a pen easily
JD - must have covered massive miles today and although got done a couple of times when pushing the middle on his own, his constant harassing and rushing them broke up their flow many times.
Dieng - My MOTM. Won headers , great positional play, great passes
H-F - like the look of that left foot and his confidence and his height. Joining now rather than a few months back should allow him to express his skills. Looks like will fit in well.
Akinola - like how he has an eggbriness about him. Chased stuff and spots opportunuoties. Seems to be every game an opposing defender passes back straight to him!!
Macca - strengthens up the middle and always seems to have a chance on goal. Used well.
Taylor - I like this role for him. Brought on to pin them back a bit with long balls . Perfect substitution and lots better in the role than aquah. a
ANG - didn't see enough to gauge one way or the other
MM - seems Much more passionate on the line than before. More skilled in game management than before. Better game plans than before and the players respect him. I feel he has lots more to offer yet as we improve
I like how we look like a team FULL of experienced players now. Watching younger ones getting free kicks and playing for ti.e is great to see. Managing the last 20 mins and 9 mins extra time was so professionally done. The grass must be worn out at the corner flag.
Overall thought the ref did ok in that he let lots go for both sides. Potential pens for both sides.
What I really liked most today was how little time we gave there players on the ball until we went to 10. Yes they had the ball, but werent allowed to do much with it always pressed by 2 or 3 of our players hunting them down.
They didn't deserve a draw - we deserved the win.

Last edited:
Won ugly again which was fair enough as we better save our best performances for when we face the good teams!
Is it my imagination or does Dieng look to be more than twice the player he was under his previous Southend managers? Some terrific passes today created chances that might have led to goals on another day.
Also thought Oxley seems to have his confidence back and that makes a difference.
The addition of SimAk, ANG, RHF and JO have given us the potential to score goals, and, at times we looked really dangerous going forward.
MM loves pace in his forwards, and, I am predicting our attack will be even more potent once we move into March and we start to play on a few harder pitches.
The addition of Lynch, if we can pull it off, will be handy but I think we desperately need one more midfielder. I would not say no to Ricky Holmes either even if it was just to bring him off the bench for the last half hour of games.
And a shout out to RHF.....what a start and what a goal! He previously may have 'only' been playing Conference football but he looked up to the mark to me. And well done to the management team for identifying and signing him.
Today was almost a 'must win' game and the three points gained are invaluable. Just imagine how the table would look if we had lost and then just had sixteen points and Barrow twenty three!
As long as we keep gaining points we will not be going down.

Sorry, I completely disagree. We were doing nothing in the first half, as we had no outlets. MM should have taken Halford off at half time and changed the formation

Agree to an extent, but I think MM (rightly) set us up cautiously given it was a six pointer and a very important game for us. I think us then going 1-0 up after 3 minutes meant the team naturally dropped a bit back and played even more cautiously.

Disagree on Halford though. He isn’t an inexperienced young lad who was getting wound up by Barrow. He’s a 36 year old seasoned pro with hundreds of games under his belt. I wouldn’t have taken him off at half time as I would’ve expected him to know far better.

The reaction from MM on going a man down was spot on and a huge reason we got the three points today.

I think best performance of the season even with 10 men we deserved the win in previous winning games we rode our good luck but today we had the best chances and never really looked troubled.
On the downside I’m not surewe will see Halford again he looked a bit off the pace if we had Macca on at halftime and I’m sure we wouuld have won comfortably.
But great result UTB

Massive win! we got the early goal and great finish from Reece Hackett Fairchild, good way to silent any doubters with a goal on your debut. I'm impressed with the way we defended when we went down to 10 men, wasn't pretty but lot of determination and commitment shown out their, nearly had second goal but just lacked the composure with the finish. Barrow were 1 of the better sides iv seen this season to be fair. Onto grimsby now, they look like a side their for the taking. Utb

Well, that was nail biting fun!

Worried about the way they lined up, didn't suit Hobson at all, we looked susceptible down that side throughout the first half. New lad looked impressive and a well taken early goal gave us that important lead to hold on to. Akinola looked keen and Olayinka grew into the game.

John White, on his 250th appearance, led by example with a solid performance. Honourable mention for Dieng too.

My MOTM for the day though was Ox. Looked comfortable with the saves and catches he had to deal with and has the time wasting tactics well in place. He, Demi and Macca all used their experience to waste time - top class **** housery from the boys.

A word or two on Halford, I thought he was unfortunate. There is absolutely no doubting the lad for the 2nd yellow went way over the top in his antics for something that other players seemed to get away with during the match - I actually thought Barrow made some quite nasty, niggly fouls which the officials failed to give.

Great result though, keeps us in touch with the others in that relegation zone and with games in hand. When was the last time we had such a good record at home in recent games?

Ox - 8, MOTM, dealt with crosses confidently, couple of saves. Only criticism was a couple of wayward free kicks - two very close together in exactly the same spot sailing out of play
Bwomono - 7, seemed quieter without Egbri there
White - 7.5, get that contract extension on the table and signed! Leads by example, plays with passion
Halford - 6, shame, thought it would have been interesting to see how the game panned out with his experience in defence
Hobson - 7, struggled a bit in the 1st half but looked better as the game went on
Hart - 7, like him getting forwards more - did think we were lucky to escape without a penalty for that challenge he made
Olayinka - 7, grew into the game
Demetriou - 6, doesn't actually "do" an awful lot, tackles aren't great, loses the ball
Dieng - 7.5, he's been great, today he continued in that vein, winning loads of headers too
Hackett-Fairchild - 7.5, great debut, excellent finish, looks a natural left footer
Akinola, 7.5 - love his attitude and his energy, great header of the ball

Subs:
Macca for Reeco - 7, came on and did what we needed, helped get a grip when we were getting a bit over run
ANG for Akinola - 7, looked useful
R Taylor for Olayinka - 7, give the lad some credit, he did what we wanted him to, took some punishment and showed strength

Enjoy your Saturday evening guys, I shall now!

A massive win today, a must not lose for sure but the 3 points vital. Did we deserve to win? I would say yes on the balance of chances, Barrow dominated the ball but rarely tested Oxley.

I confess as not being happy with the line up. Think the success we've had over the past month or so has been built on a solid back 4 and I thought our shape didn't really work first half, despite scoring a cracking goal and also missing the best chance of the half in Elvis.

I'd like to keep Halford, but not as a starter. For me he is what we needed when Sim went off rather than starting as a CB. I though the red card was harsh and though maybe a yellow plenty of refs would have given him warning

Thought White, Akinola, Hobson, Oxley, Hart, Elvis all had solid games with Macca excellant when he came on. Fairchild drifted in and out but scored a cracker and showed glimpses of what he Is capable of. Olyinka struggled a bit today and lost his footing twice when through on goal. JD frustrated me and seemed off the pace at time. But MOM today was Dieng who I thought was immense. Just hope we can hold on to him

Would prefer to see us play a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 but our lack of striking options must be addressed. Akinola again was excellant today, Fairchild looks more of a wide player than CF, Goodship to cone back in but when you are bringing on Taylor for Sim when you have another striker on the bench it shows you our lack in depth. Another striker is a must before window closes.

But what a 6 weeks we've had, we were dead and buried 10 games ago, but now have a genuine chance of getting out of this. Over half the season to go, maybe one it two additions, keep Taylor, Olyinka, White, Macca and Halford and I think we have enough to survive

Back