• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Away

Lost Mackem

Striker
First of all, what a brilliant town Southend-On-Sea is. I was really expecting the worst judging by some of the comments on here but I was pleasantly surprised.

We stayed in the Park Inn Hotel Friday till Sunday and I think every person I saw in there was a Sunderland fan. Had a sea view, happy days. The staff were all a good laugh and had a laugh with us about losing the match which was all in good spirits. There were a few drunken arguments in the hotel but staff did well to calm the situations without kicking anyone out or causing a bigger scene etc.

The town reminded me of Sunderland in a way. Make of that as you will.

We spent the Friday, Saturday and Sunday during the day in The Last Post Wetherspoons. It was jam packed on the Friday and Saturday and I thought the bouncers and bar staff were great considering it was most likely one of their most busiest weekends of the year and it was full of ****ed up northern day drinkers. Asked the bouncers if it was OK to put the flags up as I was presuming as it was a Wetherspoons they wouldn't allow it but they were completely fine. Not sure if they're the same bouncers every day/night but the lass bouncer was great and really down to earth which is (atleast up here) very unusual. Few times the police walked through they were great too, dancing and singing ('woop woop is the sound of the police etc.') and they did great to keep the atmosphere going where usually I'd expect them to kill it abit.

Spent both night in the pubs down the seafront just due to the fact that they were close to the hotel. Again, brilliant locals, bouncers and bar staff. Quite happy to join in our singing. Can't remember too much from the nights to be honest so there's not much to say about that. Can't even remember the pubs' names on the seafront.

The match was what I expected. I'd have been more pleased with a draw obviously but given that Southend needed a win I was more than happy to lose in those circumstances. The Southend fans were (obviously) loud throughout and the scenes toward the end when the whole stadium was bouncing had me in awe - it's why we love the game. Not sure if you saw in your celebrations of the goals but after both Southend goals, many SAFC fans were applauding and some applauded during the 'we are staying up' chants. The banter between fans such as "Dirty Northern Bastards" and "You're going down" I think was expected but there was nobody getting 'handsy' and it was all in good spirit. Tin hat on, but in my opinion I thought the pitch invasion was over the top - I suppose the adrenaline took over beating the mighty Sunderland:Winking:. The stewards in and around the ground were very friendly and helpful and exactly how you'd want a steward to be. They treat the away fans with respect and weren't power junky morons which you see so often while travelling away. Police presense was high in the away end walking into the ground which was strange considering how well behaved Sunderland fans usually are while travelling away. I presumed it was for protection incase the atmosphere turned ugly if Southend were to be relegated. A great game though, and like I said - atmosphere was electric for the full 90 minutes.

Didn't see any trouble all weekend but did hear about a group of West Ham fans attacking a pub occupied by Sunderland fans which is a shame. Typical. A few said on here that there were many West Ham and Arsenal locals but I was still surprised by how many there were.

I've been to over 15 this season but that was probably the best away trip I've been to this season. It really was great thanks to the locals.

I hope Sunderland fans did themselves proud too.

What a lovely place Southend-On-Sea is.

Hope I'm not back next season like.

Last edited:
Hi Mackem,
Firstly I am glad you enjoyed your weekend trip, we are in general a pleasant bunch down here, but like anywhere, you get your village idiots ie plastic Premiershite fans!
The pitch invasion was a culmination of weeks of frustration, dodgy refs, poor performances and relief! I am glad it passed off peacefully, it was good to see a decent following in “our North stand”
Good luck in the play offs, but wouldn’t be too unhappy for a return trip to your impressive stadium again next season ;-)

Cheers @Lost Mackem, sounds like you had a seriously good time and it's nice to have some good press from away supporters. There have been a few posts on here of our guys drinking with yours and getting absolutely rat arsed together. On the point of the pitch invasion, it would have happened whoever we were playing. The threat of relegation has been shredding nerves for many weeks now, so the pitch walk was the release of the built up tension.

I wish you well in the play-offs, but if you don't make it you will be welcomed back at Southend any time.

Hi Mackem,
Firstly I am glad you enjoyed your weekend trip, we are in general a pleasant bunch down here, but like anywhere, you get your village idiots ie plastic Premiershite fans!
The pitch invasion was a culmination of weeks of frustration, dodgy refs, poor performances and relief! I am glad it passed off peacefully, it was good to see a decent following in “our North stand”
Good luck in the play offs, but wouldn’t be too unhappy for a return trip to your impressive stadium again next season ;-)
Oi, @Blues ‘n’ twos , stop reading my mind and posting quicker than me. Christ, whatever happen to care in the community for old folk like me with slow fingers?:Winking:

Great post. I think I could post a very similar write up about our away trips to SOL. Never had any issues up there and always great fans to mix with.
Can't really add anything more than already above to be honest. It's great to see you had a good weekend. I think the extra numbers of police and stewards were a precaution following the club and police being criticized for not dealing with Portsmouth and Luton fans among others this season.
I did noticed the Mackem's applauding us which is great. 100% Blues fans would have done the same should the tables be turned.
I will be watching the TV over the weekend in hope you kick butts. Have a great game up there and be safe.

Glad to hear you had a good time down here, I was in Berlin on a friends stag do so regrettably had to miss the game and watch on Sky and we got no less than 7 complaints about the noise in Kilkenny's Irish bar.

Cheers @Lost Mackem, sounds like you had a seriously good time and it's nice to have some good press from away supporters. There have been a few posts on here of our guys drinking with yours and getting absolutely rat arsed together. On the point of the pitch invasion, it would have happened whoever we were playing. The threat of relegation has been shredding nerves for many weeks now, so the pitch walk was the release of the built up tension.

I wish you well in the play-offs, but if you don't make it you will be welcomed back at Southend any time.

I know mate, it was just a joke. Was happy for you all.:Winking2:

Great post. I think I could post a very similar write up about our away trips to SOL. Never had any issues up there and always great fans to mix with.
Can't really add anything more than already above to be honest. It's great to see you had a good weekend. I think the extra numbers of police and stewards were a precaution following the club and police being criticized for not dealing with Portsmouth and Luton fans among others this season.
I did noticed the Mackem's applauding us which is great. 100% Blues fans would have done the same should the tables be turned.
I will be watching the TV over the weekend in hope you kick butts. Have a great game up there and be safe.

Portsmouth were the same at the SoL the other week. Launching missiles down onto the home fans below all game. The game had to be stopped for 10 minutes due to it. Loads of our fans had to be treat by first aiders. Hard to imagine what goes on in some people's heads. Subhuman.

Coventry were the same.

Glad you enjoyed your time and made a weekend of it.
You without doubt done yourselves proud and every fan was wishing us well.
Like You I hope we don't see you next season but will be a pleasure if we do!

Portsmouth were the same at the SoL the other week. Launching missiles down onto the home fans below all game. The game had to be stopped for 10 minutes due to it. Loads of our fans had to be treat by first aiders. Hard to imagine what goes on in some people's heads. Subhuman.

Coventry were the same.

Mate I know. The part of football I really hate

Your fans were fantastic, not a hint of trouble despite the result. I wish you well in the play offs.

We were in the Dickens Inn opposite Southend Central station after the match til late. As I’ve said on another thread we got pretty drunk and it was packed out with Sunderland fans. I spoke to lots of them and all were really friendly, came and congratulated us and were gracious in defeat. I think they’re all a credit to their club and town and left a good impression with me.

There was a great moment when the DJ put on Cheer Up Sleepy Jean and the whole lot of them (and me) sang their Peter Reid version from years ago.

What a genuinely nice post! Delighted to hear you had a good weekend, the Park Inn is a good place to stay with terrific views if you have a sea view room, as you did.

It was really good to have a large away following that were genuinely decent people, not a hint of trouble, and honestly pleased for us in the end.

Good luck in the play offs!

We were in the Dickens Inn opposite Southend Central station after the match til late. As I’ve said on another thread we got pretty drunk and it was packed out with Sunderland fans. I spoke to lots of them and all were really friendly, came and congratulated us and were gracious in defeat. I think they’re all a credit to their club and town and left a good impression with me.

There was a great moment when the DJ put on Cheer Up Sleepy Jean and the whole lot of them (and me) sang their Peter Reid version from years ago.

Those staying at the hotel we were at in Westcliff were great.Can't say the same for some of those streaming out of the ground after the match and heading for Vic Avenue in numbers.Though all the Mackems I've ever met before have been fine.

Good laugh, grand weekend....previous bother with Luton ensured a large steward / police presence, and on occasion, we tend to fight amongst ourselves...:Headbang:….

Good luck in the play-offs Lost Mackem...:Smile:

Have to say LM, your fans were brilliant, I was walking through the town to the game, when a group of 30 kids aged 17-20 saw me in my shirt and I thought here we go, only to be greeted with a friendly smile and given a tin to walk along with them to The Blue Boar
Brilliant banter with them and one called me Grandad (Lucky he was still able to walk :Smile:), proves youngsters can have a beer be loud and still be good citizens

Very tempted to join them in the Blue Boar, but think many wouldn't have been able to get in, so showed them The Chip shop where they happily waved good bye

Would be happy to see you guys next season, maybe both in a promotion battle

Good luck though with the play offs

Back