• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Engimas....

The post on here about the most hated players got me thinking....

There are a few players who were, to coin the footballing phrase, highly rated but never quite made it....

To name a few in recent times

Gary Hooper - will we see the best from him
Michael Husbands
Barrington Belgrave

However my all time enigma of all time has to go to... wait for it... this one is from the memory banks...

Francisco Cagigao

Scored thousands of goals for the reserves... looked like our own Romario (if i remember correctly) and just never cut it when he played with the big boys... a great shame... now probably runs a fish and chip shop in Newcastle and talks like the spanish footballing chap off the Harry Enfield/Fast Show

Anyone want to share their memories?

I assume you didn't read the All At Sea interview with Cagigao in a recent issue then - he is now scouting for Arsenal. He had a player-boss stint in Spain a few years back as well.

I'd have to go for Tommy Mooney.
It turns out a guy I met a couple of years back was Tommy's best mate at school, and he only realised this week that TM had played for Southend.

So to prove it I checked out his stats on the Wycombe squad profiles. I couldn't honestly believe he only played for us 14 times and scored 5 goals (obviously 3 of these were v Oxford - Oct93). As mentioned elsewhere on the most hated player thread, how did Peter Taylor think that swapping Mooney for Keith Dublin & £100k was good business for SUFC?

Therefore, seeing as a lot of us all think so highly of him when he in the big scheme of things had such little impact, he'd get my voite for ultimate southend enigma!

Gareth Risbridger - Possibly the shortest appearance in the club's history (1 min) but what a debut! The lad charged around the Roots Hall surface as if on some sort of E-number rush! And then disappeared ... to Salisbury City.

I wouldn't describe either Husbands or Belgrave as "enigmas". They were both poor from the word go.

Steven Clark would fit the descirption. Mitchell Cole too.

Gareth Risbridger - Possibly the shortest appearance in the club's history (1 min) but what a debut! The lad charged around the Roots Hall surface as if on some sort of E-number rush! And then disappeared ... to Salisbury City.

The way every sub should act if they make their entry onto the pitch with less than 5 mins to go.....

Steve Broad for me. The bloke had the potential to be fantastic. Everything you want in a defender...Strong, good reading of the game, good passer but something in his head didnt seem to work....

Shame really as really think he could have been great for us.

Steve Broad for me. The bloke had the potential to be fantastic. Everything you want in a defender...Strong, good reading of the game, good passer but something in his head didnt seem to work....

yeah I liked Broad too DtS, didnt McSweeney get a contract renewal and we let Broad go?

What-a-mistake-a-to-make-a

Stephen Broad for the reasons outlined by DtS

Ben Smith anyone? Highly rated by Dave Webb, Yeovil fans were topping themselves when he left, played a whopping 12 minutes in a whole season because of injury ( and food intake ;o) )

and IIRC he got booked for a typical 'first tackle in the pro game' ( ie two footed non-League lunge ) :D

Pretty much every winger I've seen in a Southend shirt could be described as enigmatic, including the current duo.

I remember Broady scoring an absolute belter at Rochdale a few years back.

I remember Broady scoring an absolute belter at Rochdale a few years back.

Wasnt the trouble with Broad that he just wasnt that bothered about football. Didnt he talk of going off travelling around the world or something?

Steven Clark for me.....looked awesome when on loan, but just couldnt produce despite a clear abundance of ability. Bramble is in with a good shout though.....years waiting for the ability to shine through....

Back