• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

spoons

Manager
This season has started as we all wanted but are the fans setting the same standards as the team?
Instead of moronic chants of "We pay your benefit" to Northern clubs and references to rioting recently, why not set a standard for others to admire and chant only for Southend United.
Yes, ignore the silly chants fom opposing fans and concentrate on our team only.
I know it is difficult to exercise restraint after 4 hours or more on coaches and beers that taste different, but it can be done.
How good would our fans look when facing barrages of abuse from the opposing fans we just carried on cheering and singing our hearts out for Southend United.
If we stay in the form we are showing we will face even more hostility from opposition, but that will be our chance to set a standard.
Too much to hope for perhaps but with our younger fans coming to matches I suggest that my idea might have legs.
So come on, give it a go and match the teams standard.:smile::smile:

This season has started as we all wanted but are the fans setting the same standards as the team?
Instead of moronic chants of "We pay your benefit" to Northern clubs and references to rioting recently, why not set a standard for others to admire and chant only for Southend United.
Yes, ignore the silly chants fom opposing fans and concentrate on our team only.
I know it is difficult to exercise restraint after 4 hours or more on coaches and beers that taste different, but it can be done.
How good would our fans look when facing barrages of abuse from the opposing fans we just carried on cheering and singing our hearts out for Southend United.
If we stay in the form we are showing we will face even more hostility from opposition, but that will be our chance to set a standard.
Too much to hope for perhaps but with our younger fans coming to matches I suggest that my idea might have legs.

Nice idea in theory mate but never going to happen. Every club has its idiots who concentrate on winding up the opposition's fans more than the game. In a way it's part and parcel of being in a crowd. Chants like "Is that all you bring away?" are just banter but as a South London resident I agree that the riot chants maybe overstepped the mark.

A more realistic aim would be just to cut out the moronic chants like these but you're never gonna stop the average football fan winding up the opposition.

You cant be serious... twisted good natured black humour on the terraces Fans v Fans is what makes atmosphere at games
sorry mate it just aint gonna happen not here or any other club in football

Mostly harmless tonque in cheek wind ups by most fans at all clubs i reckon,beats the **** out of the hooligans of the 80's and 90's.

Mostly harmless tonque in cheek wind ups by most fans at all clubs i reckon,beats the **** out of the hooligans of the 80's and 90's.
What about the hooligans of the 60's & & 70's don't forget them.
Or in Millwall's case the hooligans of the 20's,30's,40's,50's,60's,70's,80's,90's,2000's & 2010's.

Southampton away, Doncaster away, In my opinion we have already set a standard. Was talking to a saints fan today who remembered our support, (oh and he thanked us for Lee Barnard m'lord)

Southampton away, Doncaster away, In my opinion we have already set a standard. Was talking to a saints fan today who remembered our support, (oh and he thanked us for Lee Barnard m'lord)

Would be nice to see us do that once when we weren't getting our arses handed to us!

You cant be serious... twisted good natured black humour on the terraces Fans v Fans is what makes atmosphere at games
sorry mate it just aint gonna happen not here or any other club in football

If only it were humorous.

Chanting things to wind up opposition fans, improves the atmosphere because if the away fans start singing back more home fans get involved in chants, which gets the PRO SOUTHEND SONGS going.

I understand some peoples problems with some of the songs, but sometimes you do have to question whether you would prefer to be at the local croquet club or in the stands watching a football team!

Well good luck with that :thumbsup: What the only thing that bothers me is the lack of individual identity. There's no song that Southend fans sing and know one else does. Which is kind of bringing up the whole anthem debate thing up again . Will never happen but oh well :happy:

The problem with this now is most clubs have an anthem which they've had for years and is part of their history and heritage. If we bring one in now not only would you struggle to get fans to learn it but it would feel pretty fake and forced IMO. I always say the songs we sing on the terraces are pretty basic. We have endless threads on Shrimperzone about creating new songs for players and some great suggestions get put forward. But at the end of the day you know that all it takes is a p*ssed up bloke with a big mouth and a bit of dutch courage to start singing something witty at the right time.

What happened to The Blue Voice chant? I haven't heard it at Roots Hall for a while.
Have I missed something or does it just get forgotten about? :unsure:

("When Southend United come out to play, sing up, sing up...")

Haha! Very funny it was.
I've got a few videos aswell, I may upload later!

but surely you lot look as muggy as they do?? I dont understand this?? two sets of fans looking equally stupid, standing in from of each other singiong and dancing? In my day that road would have made a nice ring slung abit of rope up a stool in each corner, and away you go

but surely you lot look as muggy as they do?? I dont understand this?? two sets of fans looking equally stupid, standing in from of each other singiong and dancing? In my day that road would have made a nice ring slung abit of rope up a stool in each corner, and away you go

I was too busy laughing to look muggy! Due to the 10, 6 year olds going mental, it was funny! The older blokes weren't the brightest of characters, which made it very funny, and the addition of Blackburn Barry, topped off a cracking away win!

What happened to The Blue Voice chant? I haven't heard it at Roots Hall for a while.
Have I missed something or does it just get forgotten about? :unsure:

("When Southend United come out to play, sing up, sing up...")

It was sung a couple of times last Tuesday. :unsure:

Back