• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend High Street

Ron Manager

formerly Libertine
Went for a walk down Southend High Street yesterday for the first time in over a year. This is where you can really see how the recession has hit our town. It was quite depressing, closed down shops and those that were open had very few people in them or were slashing prices.

Don't know if it was worse for me as I didn't see it happen gradually, does anyone else feel the same when they go there that it appears a shadow of it's former self? I was actually quite saddened by it and couldn't get away quick enough.

Agreed. There is too many, cheap, tacky little shops selling crap at the moment. Some bigger named retailers are needed to make the high street more appealing again. It's a sad state of affairs, but since the introduction of out of town "mega malls", like Lakeside and Bluewater, most that want high end brands are forced to head there instead. It's the same in pretty much every town though and I cannot see it changing anytime soon.

the sooner the town gets a second department store (John Lewis or House of Fraser) the better.

Town's set out all wrong, two medium size shopping centres on the edges and a whole plethora of toot shops and To Let signs do no favours, starting at Vic Plaza to do HMV etc then having to trudge down to The Royals for TK Maxx and Debenhams really isn't too appealing when you can do the circuit at Lakey and 1) be warm and 2) have a more salubrious selection of shops to choose from is the main failing.

They should really do the same in Bas and Southend, admit defeat and in the words of Edwyn Collins "rip it up and start again"

Went for a walk down Southend High Street yesterday for the first time in over a year. This is where you can really see how the recession has hit our town. It was quite depressing, closed down shops and those that were open had very few people in them or were slashing prices.

Don't know if it was worse for me as I didn't see it happen gradually, does anyone else feel the same when they go there that it appears a shadow of it's former self? I was actually quite saddened by it and couldn't get away quick enough.

My guess is that the state of Southend high street is down to a combination of factors, not just the current recession.

It has certainly deteriorated to the point where those with plenty of disposable income don't shop in Southend because there is nowhere to spend it.

Last edited:
I actually thought how much better Southend town centre looked the last time I visited (back in Feb).

Hadn't been in that part of town for more years than I cared to remember and it was refreshing to see big names like Starbucks & JD Sports had moved in.

Town's set out all wrong, two medium size shopping centres on the edges and a whole plethora of toot shops and To Let signs do no favours, starting at Vic Plaza to do HMV etc then having to trudge down to The Royals for TK Maxx and Debenhams really isn't too appealing when you can do the circuit at Lakey and 1) be warm and 2) have a more salubrious selection of shops to choose from is the main failing.

They should really do the same in Bas and Southend, admit defeat and in the words of Edwyn Collins "rip it up and start again"

Agreed, one full shopping centre instead of 2 half empty ones!

There are too many toot shops that is for sure, but i'd rather em filled with these upmarket market stalls than left completely empty. The 99p and £1 shops are actually not too bad for some stuff. Only on Saturday i went in the 99p shop in Southend and bought 12 AAA remote control batteries for 99p.

There are too many toot shops that is for sure, but i'd rather em filled with these upmarket market stalls than left completely empty. The 99p and £1 shops are actually not too bad for some stuff. Only on Saturday i went in the 99p shop in Southend and bought 12 AAA remote control batteries for 99p.

They are good for some things. I wouldn't buy a smoke alarm from one though.

I like the idea of market stalls. My favourites are the butchers who have a microphone and PA system. The way they whip the crowd into a frenzy of bloodlust by reducing cheap meat to insane prices reminds me of Hitler a bit.

Last edited:

that's one big vibrator you've got there

Tha AAA ones aren't too bad as they don't use much power for what they are used for, but the AA, C and D are rubbish and don't last very long and can leak.

The 2 AAAs or 2 AA Duracell for £1 tend to work out best value, good power and last a long time.

Yours sincerely
The Battery Doctor.

I've always felt Southend High Street has had a slightly depressing air to it.

In fact it is largely responsible for me supporting Southend United as I found accompanying my old man to the football a less depressing experience than being dragged round Southend High Street by my mum on a Saturday afternoon. Given the overall fate of following a team like Southend is largely one of disappointment punctuated by only the occasional moments of joy that lead to false (Martin?) dawns that must speak volumes about the High Street.

Having said all that, I think it looks in better shape these days.

The High Street of the late 50's and early 60's was IMO vastly superior. The old Talza Arcade was a wonderful place for a kid to explore. While I realise progress is great, I don't really think a High Street littered with Costa Coffee, Starbucks and bloody charity shops is what a shopping centre is about.

The High Street of the late 50's and early 60's was IMO vastly superior. The old Talza Arcade was a wonderful place for a kid to explore. While I realise progress is great, I don't really think a High Street littered with Costa Coffee, Starbucks and bloody charity shops is what a shopping centre is about.

Agreed Harry, you can't beat Canvey City Centre.

Back