• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Hospital DUMP

Funny, I just spoke to a couple of nurses and they said exactly the same thing. They said its all going downhill and that the cash machine is never working which is a real problem as its often the only way people there can get cash out as there is no other cashpoint nearby!

My hospital doesn't have a cash machine. we all manage.

So Southend Hospital is a dump? As I can see no reason why you have stated this, I would have to imagine that it could be due to the cigarette butts that lay outside the exits where patient's decide to go and smoke although some already have breathing problems due to smoking. Perhaps its the litter that visitors leave when they leave. Perhaps you were only visiting A+E and thought the overworked doctors and nurses should react quicker to some drunk or druggie who is complaining that they have to wait with the rest of the population.
Maybe you had to have treatment and were admitted? If so what ward were you on? Did you notice the lack of staff as the hospital are closing wards (the whole tower block will become offices hence 8 less wards in an elderly population:stunned:) and staff are being moved from one ward to another. Perhaps the student nurse wasn't smiling enough, that is because the hospital are not taking on any students, (thanks for the three years working in the hospital doing the jobs that nobody else wanted to do for little pay and goodbye). Perhaps the staff nurse wasn't happy that is as already mentioned due to staff shortages making less qualified nurses available when staff go off sick. Perhaps the nurse isn't happy due to the lack of support, after all most morning shifts start around 7am and the late shift finishes around 10pm and they have had no break and had to deal with 27 patients plus umpteen doctor rounds and relatives as well as three (or more drug rounds).
At the end of the day this is everyday hospital life, there isn't enough money and cutbacks are being made left right and center. Oh and finally if you think Southend Hospital is bad then try an East London one

Being a bit of an expert on hospitals lately, I can assure you Jack, that Southend Hospital is bloody fantastic at what they do. It's the morons using it that leave it in an undesirable state - and as for prisons, well, my other half is a prison officer at Pentonville and I can assure you that there's no need to be smuggling mobiles OR food in to hospital in any of the ways shown in any of the prison programmes on tv!

Big up for the WRVS ladies who also do a brilliant job and make the best (and cheapest) latte in the area - same as at other local hospitals. These volunteers are the people you should be campaigning about on your next mission as there's plans afoot to replace them by "proper" caterers.

Being a bit of an expert on hospitals lately, I can assure you Jack, that Southend Hospital is bloody fantastic at what they do. It's the morons using it that leave it in an undesirable state - and as for prisons, well, my other half is a prison officer at Pentonville and I can assure you that there's no need to be smuggling mobiles OR food in to hospital in any of the ways shown in any of the prison programmes on tv!

Big up for the WRVS ladies who also do a brilliant job and make the best (and cheapest) latte in the area - same as at other local hospitals. These volunteers are the people you should be campaigning about on your next mission as there's plans afoot to replace them by "proper" caterers.

The WRVS ladies are heroes.

So Southend Hospital is a dump? As I can see no reason why you have stated this, I would have to imagine that it could be due to the cigarette butts that lay outside the exits where patient's decide to go and smoke although some already have breathing problems due to smoking. Perhaps its the litter that visitors leave when they leave. Perhaps you were only visiting A+E and thought the overworked doctors and nurses should react quicker to some drunk or druggie who is complaining that they have to wait with the rest of the population.
Maybe you had to have treatment and were admitted? If so what ward were you on? Did you notice the lack of staff as the hospital are closing wards (the whole tower block will become offices hence 8 less wards in an elderly population:stunned:) and staff are being moved from one ward to another. Perhaps the student nurse wasn't smiling enough, that is because the hospital are not taking on any students, (thanks for the three years working in the hospital doing the jobs that nobody else wanted to do for little pay and goodbye). Perhaps the staff nurse wasn't happy that is as already mentioned due to staff shortages making less qualified nurses available when staff go off sick. Perhaps the nurse isn't happy due to the lack of support, after all most morning shifts start around 7am and the late shift finishes around 10pm and they have had no break and had to deal with 27 patients plus umpteen doctor rounds and relatives as well as three (or more drug rounds).
At the end of the day this is everyday hospital life, there isn't enough money and cutbacks are being made left right and center. Oh and finally if you think Southend Hospital is bad then try an East London one

Thankless job sometimes. You try your best and in the face of it you occasionally get hit,spat and verbally abused by the people you are trying to help and lets not forget that people that work there or in the community are people too.
Threads like this make me hopping mad and if statements are going to made then at least have the gull to back it up with a rationale

Sorry Jassyfa1, that was not a pop at you. I was agreeing in what you said, I was having a pop at the orginal start of the thread

It strikes me that certain members post absolute crap based on a very short and limited life-span. All children should be strangled at birth so they never become teenage members of the Zone.

Wouldn't ever criticise Southend Hospital, they've been superb for both the older and younger members of my family in the past couple of years. I think people have inflated expectations where the NHS is concerned. My eldest son has had 3 ops, and a life threatening incident since 2008 and has been afforded a extraordinary standard of care, for just the price of a small amount of my taxes. Not sure whats got your goat Jack, but IMO they don't get much wrong at Southend.

Thankless job sometimes. You try your best and in the face of it you occasionally get hit,spat and verbally abused by the people you are trying to help and lets not forget that people that work there or in the community are people too.
Threads like this make me hopping mad and if statements are going to made then at least have the gull to back it up with a rationale

You're absolutely right Jackie, my mum passed away in Southend just over 3 years ago, she was in there for about 6 weeks before she died, and the treatment she received from all the medical staff was exemplary, and the sympathy we received afterwards was genuine and much appreciated. Probably the worst thing (and it can't be helped) is that wards that have old folk in them are reminiscent of Gods waiting room.

A truly brilliant reply.

Sorry Jassyfa1, that was not a pop at you. I was agreeing in what you said, I was having a pop at the orginal start of the thread

Thats Okay I worked at Southend Hospital for 7 years as a qualified nurse, and done front line nursing (A+E, AMU) and I had been sworn at more times than I like to remember

Jack, you're probably a nice young man, but I hope you have learnt a valuable lesson. Be careful when taking a particular side on an emotive subject, and posting your view on a forum like this. You're young and green and as such, prone to many mistakes. With age and experience comes greater knowledge, and you may find yourself championing all the great work the Nurses, Doctors, staff and volunteers do at Southend Hospital.

Southend Hospital needs doing up, edited cause members!

Hey Chap!

I wholeheartedly agree. I myself have a personal physician, as mixing with the riff raff in Southend Hospital simply wouldn't do so have therefore never set foot inside.
Having said that, it's a filthy hovel that probably causes more illnesses than it cures. I expect the walls are smeared in human excrement, blood, sputum etc and there is a dead foetus in every sink.
The staff are more than likely lazy, insolent chavs, stealing from every patient and spitting in their food and drink at every opportunity and every receptionist in the history of Southend Hospital is or has been a fat lezza.

I would also imagine the surgeon smokes crack whilst operating and his support staff are all either ****faced, or off their tits on acid.

My advice would be to simply use one's parents inheritance to employ the best doctors money can buy.

Kind Regards

Back