• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Hospital DUMP

I thought I would post this here, rather than a starting new thread.

So, anyway, I see Southend & more particularly Southend Hospital are on the ITV evening news tonight, regarding the possibility of allowing patients to recover from operations in the spare rooms of people's houses (or the seafront B&B's)in the local are, in a move to free up beds within the hospital. People could earn £50 a night (£1,000 a month).

The Question is, would you do it for the extra income?

I think a lot of people would do it if it were a family relative, especially if they were able to go to the toilet themselves, and just needed a bed to recover and some dinner made for them etc. But a stranger??

ITV haven't posted up the video link with David Amess interview yet, but there is a BBC link on the story here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-41752083

So, anyway, I see Southend & more particularly Southend Hospital are on the ITV evening news tonight, regarding the possibility of allowing patients to recover from operations in the spare rooms of people's houses (or the seafront B&B's)in the local are, in a move to free up beds within the hospital. People could earn £50 a night (£1,000 a month).

I think a lot of people would do it if it were a family relative, especially if they were able to go to the toilet themselves, and just needed a bed to recover and some dinner made for them etc. But a stranger??

ITV haven't posted up the video link with David Amess interview yet, but there is a BBC link on the story here:

If I got one of those trollies on wheels full of drugs I would think about it.

A couple of temazepam suppositories would certainly spice up an evening watching Secret weapons of the Luftwaffe.

In answer to the question posted I think hospitals perform a fantastic job given resources and red tape. I think this is an interesting innovation which should be allowed to trial. Surely the worst place to recuperate unless you really have to is a hospital both for risk of cross infection and psychologically

Yeah I mean why start a new thread when you can drag one out vaguely related from 7 years ago!?! :unsure:

Yeah I mean why start a new thread when you can drag one out vaguely related from 7 years ago!?! :unsure:

Well, I was thinking about tagging it onto the Billericay Town Official Match Thread, just to drag that on further, but I thought otherwise. :smile:

I really get irate sometimes when people moan and groan about our health service. I have worked in it now for almost 38 years and I think I am qualified enough to say I have seen most things and been around for most of the changes of which all are not for the good I may add.
I currently manage a very over referred service and work with minimum staff like most of my colleagues. Although I manage a service I still have clinical practice so I am "out there" to speak of. I can genuinely say that almost all staff are caring and conscientious and take their posts seriously. There is a lot of frustration amoung staff in that we cannot spend as much time with patients as we would like and more often we are just trouble shooting.
In my job I am shouted out, called all kind of vile names, threatened, abused and the list goes on but, I still go in everyday.
There are always lessons to be learnt but before people start cristising a good service that is free at the point of contact look at what or how things would be without it and before anyone says anything I have been working down in A&E when minor injuries walk through the door that could have been treated at home and covered with a plaster or by taking a paracetamol.
I personally would not work anywhere else and neither would most of my colleagues who all end up working in their own time.
Think of this: A qualified nurse working in cardiac care looking after a relative of yours or even yourself earns £26,000 - £30,000 salary (that they have had around 4 years training for) then think of the train driver earning up to £60,000 per year. I know where most people would like to work.

Tinks, probably the most honest and heart warming post iv'e read in a while.

I completely agree, We should all be grateful for the NHS, everyone does a wonderful job under the most testing of times & tougher budgets. I can only imagine, it gets tiresome after trying your best through the kindest of your heart (only to be abused for an 8 hour shift).

My mum was a senior nurse on the Neptune ward, and often came home crying after she cared for a young child for 6 months. You do it for the love, certainly not for the money. That takes a special type of person.

In answer to the question posted I think hospitals perform a fantastic job given resources and red tape. I think this is an interesting innovation which should be allowed to trial. Surely the worst place to recuperate unless you really have to is a hospital both for risk of cross infection and psychologically

Thanks for getting it back on topic, You have a valid point about infection etc. For example, we paid 61k a year to bupa, for my father in law to be in a care home, and personally I think he would have got a lot more better care at home with 24 hour private nurses, at half the cost.

Ironically, its now on the watch list (and has 6 months to improve).

Last edited:
The bottom line is , we have to try something , the system today doesn't work. There are too many people in hospital who would be better off elsewhere if the opportunity was there. I can see this working if managed correctly. There are plenty of "good" people out there. Foster carers take people into their own home, it's very loosely similar, and there are lots of people who volunteer and like to "do good". What you don't want is people doing it just for the money and delivering the cheapest/ lowest level service possible so we end up with the he care home fiasco.

if nothing else it highlights the issue, and shows how far out of the norm hospital managers are having to think

The bottom line is , we have to try something , the system today doesn't work. There are too many people in hospital who would be better off elsewhere if the opportunity was there. I can see this working if managed correctly. There are plenty of "good" people out there. Foster carers take people into their own home, it's very loosely similar, and there are lots of people who volunteer and like to "do good". What you don't want is people doing it just for the money and delivering the cheapest/ lowest level service possible so we end up with the he care home fiasco.

if nothing else it highlights the issue, and shows how far out of the norm hospital managers are having to think

The NHS is a source of national Pride compared to 99% of the rest of the world..
However the funding (and health of many people) issues will not be solved by small measures or further cuts to general care.
It is harsh and draconian but BUT to make people well the patient has to take part in the process; for example what real point is there in knee surgery for a 25 stone person or any of the myriad of illnesses/infirmity associated with common life style choices?
The NHS has frequently and virulently shown itself to be unwilling to monitor or charge "Health Tourists" and that has to change pdq;= it isn't nice but nor is the pain and suffering to those UK persons suffering delay and cuts.
Get rid/cut the bean counters, doubled up management, senior staff with "interests in Nursing Agency" making huge profits on low staff levels.
In short the NHS isn't broken BUT if it doesn't get some fixes it won't get the repairs it(we- Jo NI paying Public) needs.

The NHS is a source of national Pride compared to 99% of the rest of the world..
However the funding (and health of many people) issues will not be solved by small measures or further cuts to general care.
It is harsh and draconian but BUT to make people well the patient has to take part in the process; for example what real point is there in knee surgery for a 25 stone person or any of the myriad of illnesses/infirmity associated with common life style choices?
The NHS has frequently and virulently shown itself to be unwilling to monitor or charge "Health Tourists" and that has to change pdq;= it isn't nice but nor is the pain and suffering to those UK persons suffering delay and cuts.
Get rid/cut the bean counters, doubled up management, senior staff with "interests in Nursing Agency" making huge profits on low staff levels.
In short the NHS isn't broken BUT if it doesn't get some fixes it won't get the repairs it(we- Jo NI paying Public) needs.
The tourism piece is a red herring used by politicians. Its impossible to change ( without changing your he fundamentals of the NHS in doctor training and the hyprocritical oath. The number of beds taken by health tourists is a drop in the ocean compared to patients that are in hospital who could/ should be elsewhere.

The tourism piece is a red herring used by politicians. Its impossible to change ( without changing your he fundamentals of the NHS in doctor training and the hyprocritical oath. The number of beds taken by health tourists is a drop in the ocean compared to patients that are in hospital who could/ should be elsewhere.

I would agree that it is only a small number of Trust areas that are affected by this at present (although Brexit may change that!) however in certain areas it does exist. For example East London with many tropical diseases etc being treated on non UK persons whose status to the entitlement is very unclear.
The costs for treatments and drugs etc are often huge;- most of us have travel insurance etc to assist us if we are ill overseas (however it would not cover a pre-existing condition) yet the NHS does not even seek to pursue such basic matters.

It is harsh and draconian but BUT to make people well the patient has to take part in the process; for example what real point is there in knee surgery for a 25 stone person or any of the myriad of illnesses/infirmity associated with common life style.

My Step Dad of 45 years went in a year ago for a new kneecap ( he was 2 months off his 89th birthday ). Glad he had it, but was surprised they did it because of his age.
Fast forward a year, he's never been right since, the knee & lower leg are permanently swollen & red raw. 4 different Dr's tried various medication, none worked!.
Last Fri he came out after being in Southend Hosp for 10 days for a combination of his knee problems & COPD which he also has. One old guy opposite him with Dementia, got up one night & pee-ed in the Laundry Bin!. No staff about to see it happen!.
Still believe he wouldn't have suffered so much discomfort if he hadn't had it done.

Back