• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Southend Town Centre

Yep, or playing football on those Leigh Marshes pitches.

The coldest game I ever played in was right there!

TOTS was great in those days. They had many a good act some nights. Odyssey was popular and booked a few times. Lou Manzi would throw an after party sometimes. After Olivia Newton John appeared at TOTS, a few tried to pull her at the after party, but she was having none of it, Lol. Most of the acts were pop or disco.

I had to pick her up from Stanstead airport when she flew in to attend Lou and Marions wedding..That was an odd day with half of the aged London Mafia there with their 25 year old blondes in tow.

I have a million stories about the Old Southend, including working at The Penny Farthing when I was 15 in the cloakroom, and seeing the Beatles at the Odeon when I was very young..I was picked up by the old bill on that occasion as I was waiting outside the back trying to get an autograph, not knowing they had left yonks ago from a separate entrance. I lived on the seafront so knew everybody when my Mum and her partner owned a few of the drinking establishments in town then. Then worked along side Dick Devigne (met him at The Penny) until the Mid seventies. We are still very good friends.

There isn't really much I don't know about the Town from the 60's onwards.

And I am still only 29..go figure. :Whistling:

Last edited:
TOTS was great in those days. They had many a good act some nights. Odyssey was popular and booked a few times. Lou Manzi would throw an after party sometimes. After Olivia Newton John appeared at TOTS, a few tried to pull her at the after party, but she was having none of it, Lol. Most of the acts were pop or disco.

My aunt lives in San Francisco and is friendly with a guy that lives in Los Angeles (he's the son of her best friend). He happens to be O N-J's hairdresser. She once flew him to Australia to do her hair. Guess where he's originally from? Yep, Southend. He went to Southend High.

I had to pick her up from Stanstead airport when she flew in to attend Lou and Marions wedding..That was an odd day with half of the aged London Mafia there with their 25 year old blondes in tow.

I have a million stories about the Old Southend, including working at The Penny Farthing when I was 15 in the cloakroom, and seeing the Beatles at the Odeon when I was very young..I was picked up by the old bill on that occasion as I was waiting outside the back trying to get an autograph, not knowing they had left yonks ago from a separate entrance. I lived on the seafront so knew everybody when my Mum and her partner owned a few of the drinking establishments in town then. Then worked along side Dick Devigne (met him at The Penny) until the Mid seventies. We are still very good friends.

There isn't really much I don't know about the Town from the 60's onwards.

And I am still only 29..go figure. :Whistling:

Fantastic post. It's a shame you weren't on this thread so much when it was running a year or so ago @Cricko as there are lots of stories on here that you would be able to add to.

I guess you saw the ONJ photo on here of that after party?

My aunt lives in San Francisco and is friendly with a guy that lives in Los Angeles (he's the son of her best friend). He happens to be O N-J's hairdresser. She once flew him to Australia to do her hair. Guess where he's originally from? Yep, Southend. He went to Southend High.

Love these posts.

Fantastic post. It's a shame you weren't on this thread so much when it was running a year or so ago @Cricko as there are lots of stories on here that you would be able to add to.

I guess you saw the ONJ photo on here of that after party?

Yes I have looked through a few and could of answered several. Shame I missed it...I was close when that photo of Lou and ONJ was taken.

Love that photo (Post #71 on this thread for anyone interested). She genuinely looks like she was having a great time.

It's great when fellow posters tell of old stories. Love that.

Not sure if this was posted before, but it popped up on my youtube prompts. Love it :-

Great video post (again !), Andy. Last time I used Westcliff swimming bath's, ended up in Southend General with a nasty gut infection. Note to self; don't drink the water :Sick:

And that Ferris wheel in PPPG, I know the vid is playing at warp 8 but could you imagine it actually spinning at that speed - what a blast :Look:

With all the photo's and vid's posted - has anyone seen either themselves or anyone (other than celebrity) they could recognise ?

Love all the old nostalgic stuff about Southend and the area.

Especially the 50's/60's.

Was it that one that Ian Dury contracted polio or was it one at the Southchurch end?

OK thank you @Cricko . I just have this vague thing in the back of my mind that there was one up at the Southchurch end in the 1940's as well.

OK thank you @Cricko . I just have this vague thing in the back of my mind that there was one up at the Southchurch end in the 1940's as well.

There were Baths at the corner of Lifstan way and Southchurch road if you mean those, I have no recollection of any Swimming pool.

That might well be them that I was thinking of.

Last edited:
Back