• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-0 Salford City

Looking at the table before the match today taking a point is a good result for us and hence am happy

Well, positives .... again we defended well and made it hard for Salford to settle and play their game. Quality just wasn't there today but we worked and chased. A valuable point and another clean sheet. Seaden did a good job, my MoM possibly John White. So consistent. Clifford and Dieng had good games. Ferguson, I like the way he plays and the positions he gets into and he breaks up play.

Same old with chances, we need to take them. Acquah at least had 2 clear opportunities. Few other half chances that we snatched at, RHF and ANG just didn't spark. Think possibly that's why Macca was brought on and Ferguson pushed up. Let's not dwell on the Ranger appearance. He is nowhere near match fit. MM gambled and well....let's hope he recovers quickly, we desperately need something to inspire us up there, especially if Akinola is now out (let's hope not).

Last edited:
Was optimistic and then I heard Gary Neville was there and thought it's gonna be dull and got 0-0 all over it!

Why wasn't Ricky Holmes used to inject some kind of threat in the opposition half?
If we had brought on Holmes we wouldn’t have had anyone to replace Ranger and might have lost the game with 10 men?

Good point in the end - looked tired second half and that shows the importance of squad depth.

Thought Seaden did very well in circumstances but important to have Oxley back soon. Kept an eye on Acquah today and again thought he did okay - interestingly the 11 minute Ranger cameo I think showed where Acquah needs to work in terms of winning moreballs in the air and being more of a presence - but sure that will come in time. Overall happy to see us grind out a point.
It would if we actually used the said squad.
Having run the same players into the ground he will be forced into some changes on Tues. As I said on the match thread I’m sure his heart said don’t change anything but his head should have intervened. Hope the injury count isn’t too bad but tired players are more likely to pick up injuries.

It would if we actually used the said squad.
Having run the same players into the ground he will be forced into some changes on Tues. As I said on the match thread I’m sure his heart said don’t change anything but his head should have intervened. Hope the injury count isn’t too bad but tired players are more likely to pick up injuries.
But the injured players are;
New Keeper - didn’t play last week
Oxley - didn’t play today
Ranger - didn’t play in the week
So really we only picked up one which is Taylor and maybe Akinola.

MM would’ve been ridiculed if he dropped Akinola. Taylor...maybe you have a case.

We would of lost that by a couple of goals 3 months ago , so the improvements are there to see , defensively I think MM has got it right , we just need to start clicking up top

As they say , keep a clean sheet and you can’t lose a game , of course the reverse reflects us too .....can’t win a game if u don’t score

Absolutely nothing to do with fitness- he was very unlucky slipping as he fell. It will be convenient to pretend otherwise but saying won’t make it true.

Paul Clark suggested in his commentary that there's no substitute for playing rather than training.As we're all awatre NR hasn't played 1st team football for 3 years now.Nothing to do with fitness-Ha!

Last edited:
In the circumstances a very valuable point. I thought it was a spirited performance. I agree with amsemp that if was not RHF's best day but I have to say the boy does get through a mountain of work off the ball. All credit to him for that.
I thought we showed great spirit out and mental strength out there.
Just as well we have a bit of strength in depth as today's injuries might test that a bit.
Is MM on the phone to Jay Simpson as I write?
If either NR or SimAk is out for any length of the time he might come in very useful.

But the injured players are;
New Keeper - didn’t play last week
Oxley - didn’t play today
Ranger - didn’t play in the week
So really we only picked up one which is Taylor and maybe Akinola.

MM would’ve been ridiculed if he dropped Akinola. Taylor...maybe you have a case.
I think we will find there a few more knocks than that...regrettably. I don’t think he would have been ridiculed for doing what he said he was going to do? Not by me anyway. Any it will be forced for Tues but it is better when by design.

Believe me, that was a point gained rather than two lost, especially looked at in the context of Grimsby and Barrow's result. Sadly lots of disruption today due to injuries, even before a ball had been kicked. As Oscar would say, to lose one goalkeeper may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose two looks like carelessness! Which leads me to heap great praise on Harry Seadon who was instrumental in gaining us that point with a great save and a highly competent performance. I was very saddened by Nile's injury but it unfortunately it won't come as much of a surprise for many of us who understood the risks of taking on someone who has bee out of the game for so long and to think there were people who believed he should have started! For this reason I don't think Jay Simpson should be considered. The biggest worry for me today is the injury to Akinola, if he is out for any period of time that will be a great loss. With our injury problems, Cheltenham looks a huge ask on Tuesday night, another 0-0 would be excellent. With that in mind it's a great relief to have got four points from the last two difficult games.

A hard thought point. We edged the first half, they edged the second. A fair result in the end. It's a point closer to safety with both Barrow and Grimsby losing. Defence looked solid despite having a new keeper behind them for 45 minutes and then a different one the second half. Midfield battled, Ferguson for me the pick of MM purchases. Attack still a problem despite Emile having a good game. We need to be more clinical.

Bass; 6- Kicking wasn't great but came and collected some challenging crosses. Hope the injury isn't serious.
Elvis; 7- Solid enough. Dealt with the threat on his side okay.
White; 7- Marshalled the back as he always does, solid in everything he did.
Hobson; 7- Again, did what he had to do with minimum fuss.
Clifford; 6- We've seen and probably expect better on an attacking front. Didn't do anything wrong though.
K. Taylor; 7- Can only assume he was taken off due to fitness. We lost all our creativeness when he left the field.
Dieng; 8- Solid performance, Defensively good, controlled the midfield I thought.
RHF; 7- First half was a threat. Second half got through a lot of defensive work. Worked hard all game.
Ferguson; 8- Get's through so much in both halves of the pitch. A very good signing.
Akinola; 7- Again, plenty of hard work. Hopefully the injury isn't to serious.
Emile; 7.5- I thought he played well. Was isolated at times through no fault of his own. Battled hard against three centre backs. Hard two very good chances he should have scored though.

Seaden; 8.5- Assured performance with two point saving saves. I'd have no concerns if he had to play the next few games.
McCormack; 5- Customary yellow card. Looked rusty.
ANG; 6- Best dribbler I've seen for a long time. So comfortable with the ball at his feet. Didn't get in to the game much though.
Demi; N/A- Strange substitute to make but I guess MM wanted to protect the point.

Ranger; Not even going to bother rating that cameo. It's the lads fault he had to go off with an injury but surely it isn't a surprise to anyone? We've pretty much pulled the lad off the street and let him train for a couple of months. It was far to early to give him game time and this injury proves it. What's more, that couple be a few weeks or month out now. It's safe to say that the Ranger experiment for me has been a waste of time.

On to Cheltenham midweek, a tough game on paper but I fancy our chances given our good away form recently.

In the circumstances a very valuable point. I thought it was a spirited performance. I agree with amsemp that if was not RHF's best day but I have to say the boy does get through a mountain of work off the ball. All credit to him for that.
I thought we showed great spirit out and mental strength out there.
Just as well we have a bit of strength in depth as today's injuries might test that a bit.
Is MM on the phone to Jay Simpson as I write?
If either NR or SimAk is out for any length of the time he might come in very useful.
I am not sure what SA’s injury was. If Niles is a groin it might settle down and take an injection but it looked like inner thigh which might be two or three weeks at least. We will see.

Back