• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gutted.

No way did we deserve to lose that. Yes we were poor in a generally scrappy first half, but in the second half we could easily have won. If one of our shots had gone in, it would've have been a different game, but it wasn't to be.

More positives than negatives though, and onto Charlton
UTB

Don't get me started on the ref or the West linesman...

Feel like I've been punched in the balls. Absolutely gutted. Our makeshift team matched 2nd in the league for 91 minutes. I feel sick to lose it so late

Didn't like the set-up tonight. We did the same against Sheffield United when they played three centre-backs.

That said, everyone gave their all and it was a proud performance with key players missing.

RATINGS :

Walton 8 - FFS, sign this guy if Brighton will let us have him next season. Seriously! .. He nearly scored, as well!

Demetriou 7 - Pinned back by the lack of room down the flanks. Pretty ineffective going forwards, but defended well enough.

Thompson 7.5 - Dealt with Madine and Le Fondre reasonably comfortably.

Inniss 7 - Difficult to rate, due to the injury.

Timlin 7.5 - Thought he did a great job as a stand-in. No issues from me.

Atkinson 8 MOM - Tireless effort. Because of the lopsided set-up, he effectively was doing two jobs.

Wordsworth 7 - Playing way too deep.

McLaughlin 6 - Again, squeezed out by their wing-backs.

Cox 7.5 - Did everything he could, but needs to be where he can do serious damage in the box.

Ranger 6.5 - Amazed, with his 50/50 call, that we got 90 minutes out of him. As a result, seemed a little off the pace.

Robinson 6.5 - Definitely far better utilized as an impact sub.

SUBS :

White 8 - Didn't put a foot wrong, for me.

McGlashan 6 - Stupid free-kick to give away. Had no real impact on the game.

Fortune 7 - Not on long enough to give a mark either way.

BOLTON :

Thought Oldham looked a better side, in truth.

The three centre-halves had it a bit too easy, at times. Their midfield weren't in the game, at all, for the most part.

Bang average side. No wonder Chesterfield drew with them on Saturday.

They made life difficult and you can see why they are at the top, as they don't concede goals. Keeper looked a bit dodgy.

Sheffield United were a different level. I couldn't watch them every week!

REFEREE :

Another ref who liked to have a natter with everyone. Kept pulling us up for taking quick free-kicks and being fussy, yet let them gain 15 yards every time they had a throw-in.

Think he got the penalty call right.

Hilarious 12 yard wall again, near the end. He really can't pace 10 yards. It's quite laughable, really!

OVERALL :

We didn't deserve to lose that. Great spirited performance by everyone.

Word on the keeper Walton, he was excellent again tonight! Same age as Ted, but just seems to ooze confidence and again good comms with the back 4. Made a couple of great saves.. and almost scored at the end too ! If we can find a way to keep him for the rest of the season it would massive plus point

i want him on a season loan next season. Class

Tough one tonight.
Medina dominated the first half and I don't think I'm over the top when I say Bolton were a proper long ball team....they hit madine every time and he held the ball up very well. Once he went off the whole game changed and we were on the front foot most of the second half. We lined up a tad different tonight obviously to try and negate Bolton and the talent we were missing tonight.
While we pressed in the second half I don't think we created a clear cut chance. Boltons defence was excellent. I was a tad mystified by the cox substitution he was pulling strings in the hole.
Absolutely brilliant support tonight...bring on charlton

I actually think the ref got the penalty call right, Ranger was going nowhere once the defender tracked back and seemed to look for it as soon as he got in the box.

Think we missed Ferdinand today, we'll probably be alright for the rest of the season but it's vital he comes back for the playoffs.

Bolton were strong, direct, fast and completely bullied us in the first half. We were hanging on but once their professional big bloke Madine went off at half time it was a different dynamic. We were extremely unfortunate not to get a point from that in the end. Terrific effort from everyone.

Ratings

Walton - 9 - MOM - Absolutely superb and made 2 or 3 fantastic saves. Dominant, commanding, great communication and unfortunately I don't think he'll be around beyond Saturday as he has to go back when Ted is fit.

Demetriou - 7 - Great battling but was constantly pressured by their wide guy.
Timlin - 8 - Some superb tackles and looks ok going forward but less so when a winger runs at him. Does a job out of position but if the rumour about Coker is true then he's there for the rest of the season.
Thompson - 8 - Great strength against a right lump
Inniss - 7 - Was looking ok until his injury. That's him done I'm afraid... looks like he's broken his arm or dislocated his shoulder.

McLaughlin - 6 - Battled but quite quiet. Rasping shot just before he was subbed.
Wordsworth - 8 - One of his better games and really stood up tonight
Atkinson - 8 - Did a great job in midfield, especially in the second half
Robinson - 8.5 - Outstanding contribution again. He has really surprised me.

Ranger - 8 - Not sure that it was a penalty to be fair but he absolutely worked his socks off.
Cox - 8 - A really intelligent contribution and another one who was unlucky not to score with a rasping shot just before he was subbed.

Subs -

White - 8.5 - Contender for MOM as he stood in brilliantly for Inniss. I have no problem with him being there on Saturday if Ferdinand isn't fit.
McGlashan - 5 - The only down note for me... didn't make his usual impact and gave away the stupid free kick that led to the corner that led to their late winner.
Fortune - 6 - Struggled to get into it really.

Brown - The passion got to him again and he was off to the stands. Will that be another 3/4 game ban for him? That's where he started the season of course...

Ref - 6 - Doesn't like the advantage rule and paced out the longest 10 yards I've ever seen! It was at least 13 yards! I think he probably got the penalty call right to be fair.

Gutted; shattered ; proud ...

How far we've come . This was a "makeshift" team, 4 injuries ( included Inniss ) plus a suspended Lenny and an on loan keeper ( who is class by the way ) and in that second half we dominated the game.

People always ask for passion and determination from their players , today we see that in abundance.

I hope this doesn't knock the stuffing , I hope it shows us what we can do !

If we can keep the nucleus of this squad , I do believe we will see a lot more.

Bring on Charlton on Saturday.

Rest them Phil, they deserve it.

UTB's

Gutted; shattered ; proud ...

How far we've come . This was a "makeshift" team, 4 injuries ( included Inniss ) plus a suspended Lenny and an on loan keeper ( who is class by the way ) and in that second half we dominated the game.

People always ask for passion and determination from their players , today we see that in abundance.

I hope this doesn't knock the stuffing , I hope it shows us what we can do !

If we can keep the nucleus of this squad , I do believe we will see a lot more.

Bring on Charlton on Saturday.

Rest them Phil, they deserve it.

UTB's

Gutted as others have said. Worst way to lose a game. First half tough to watch, second half excellant and we more than matched a team destined for the championship. One critiscm was that we were a bit careless in the final third and lacked composure. Defo should have had a penalty but tonight the luck went against us. But many positives to take into final 5 games. Probably need to win at least 4 of them. Onto charlton we go, already 1800 tickets sold.

PROUD!!!! Of the team, the support, to be a shrimper.

Didnt deserve to lose that, White when he came on for Innis ( dislocated same shoulder as last time ) was superb, Ranger Theo and Cox tireless and in general we more than matched a team, who with the resources behind them, are expected to go up.

Onwards and upwards, we can beat any team in this league, and we need the players to believe as much as we do.

P***ed of moaning about refs so no comment on the latest follically challenged muppet!

Match report: Southend United 0, Bolton Wanderers 1

A STOPPAGE-TIME strike from Mark Beevers saw a patched up Southend United side suffer a cruel 1-0 defeat against high-flying Bolton Wanderers at Roots Hall*tonight.

More...

As all the above posts, gutted for the result tonight.

Very physical team with lots of height and time wasting from minute 1 as well as taking liberties with throw ins. Ref should have booked their no 3 for it, can't believe how many times he told them to take from the correct position only for them to run another 3 or 4 yards before releasing the ball and got away with it all night.

Cannot believe the round the neck tackle on a breaking striker is only a yellow, that's why he's usually in league 2 with the other dregs of refereeing.

We gave them too much respect and space in the 1st half and allowed theme to boss the game BUT 2nd half we believed that we could play our football and beat them. It wasn't to be tonight, now let's go and take our frustratration out on Charlton on Saturday.

UTB

Was always going to be a tough game with 2 of the back four out through injury.Point would have been a fair result feel sorry for the players after the 2nd half display to lose in such a way. Bolton not a patch on Sheffield United

My neck still hurts from watching the high ball played in. Big beast of a team and glad to see the back of them. For second half performance there is no way we should have lost it.

A word on Walton. Class !

If that wasn't a pen it's obviously become legal for a defender to pull, push and eventually wrestle a player to the floor in the box. It was so nailed on it didn't even need a hammer.

Love the new keeper but he needs to learn he has two feet to really make it, he's very much a leftie, wouldn't even touch the ball with his right. That would be exploited at a higher level.

Back