• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If that wasn't a pen it's obviously become legal for a defender to pull, push and eventually wrestle a player to the floor in the box. It was so nailed on it didn't even need a hammer.

Love the new keeper but he needs to learn he has two feet to really make it, he's very much a leftie, wouldn't even touch the ball with his right. That would be exploited at a higher level.
It started outside the box, it should have been pulled back for a free kick

Gutted, team played well. Unlucky to lose it like that. Fans got right behind the boys. Hopefully the injuries clear and we can be back on track. Need to make sure we get 6 points from the 2 home games we have. It's very tight in the play off places , there will be more twists ! :clap:Coyb ! Hopefully we can keep Walton a little longer he's a very good keeper.

Gutted. We went toe to toe with 2nd with a make shift team. Roll on Saturday. Play like we did in the second half and we'll destroy them.

Just keep Smith "injured" til the end of the season and we can keep Walton! Easily a class above Smith:winking:
I said exactly this to my friends in the car on the way home.
unfortunately for Ted, Walton has showed him up to be not quite good enough or ready for this level of football yet.

An incredibly gutted, but proud Shrimper tonight.

Definitely didn't deserve to lose that at the death after being the better team by far in the second half. We stood up to them so well and could've taken the three points instead if luck had been on our side. As someone mentioned on BBC Essex though, we won't play a better team than that in the playoffs and given how well we played with three key first team players out, it really is encouraging.

No one really had a bad game but a couple stood out for me. Theo Robinson was class tonight and his effort and work rate was different gear. The other standout was John White and I much prefer him at centre back to right back. His reading of the game is second to none and if he was as tall as Inniss, he'd probably be the best centre back in the league!

Good gutsy performance, Some big performances out there tonight , white and zthomoson were immense and Timlins tackle on Le Fondre was absolute perfection, didn't create a great deal and should of put their back four under more pressure but getting the ball in the box - not a night to critisce like many have said so well done to PB and his team

And what the heck was the West lino watching when gave their goalie a free kick when he came out of his box against Theo who clearly won the ball with a perfect tackle who then would've been heading to an open goal!!!!:omg:

Still in the playoff hunt, still sixth, have great run home now, still in our hands.

Yep Millwall are level but we are still only three and one from Bradford and Scunthorpe.

We just need to win now and let the others fall when they face tougher opposition.

After tonight the belief is still there as we played incredibly well.

Bolton were strong, direct, fast and completely bullied us in the first half. We were hanging on but once their professional big bloke Madine went off at half time it was a different dynamic. We were extremely unfortunate not to get a point from that in the end. Terrific effort from everyone.

Ratings

Walton - 9 - MOM - Absolutely superb and made 2 or 3 fantastic saves. Dominant, commanding, great communication and unfortunately I don't think he'll be around beyond Saturday as he has to go back when Ted is fit.

Demetriou - 7 - Great battling but was constantly pressured by their wide guy.
Timlin - 8 - Some superb tackles and looks ok going forward but less so when a winger runs at him. Does a job out of position but if the rumour about Coker is true then he's there for the rest of the season.
Thompson - 8 - Great strength against a right lump
Inniss - 7 - Was looking ok until his injury. That's him done I'm afraid... looks like he's broken his arm or dislocated his shoulder.

McLaughlin - 6 - Battled but quite quiet. Rasping shot just before he was subbed.
Wordsworth - 8 - One of his better games and really stood up tonight
Atkinson - 8 - Did a great job in midfield, especially in the second half
Robinson - 8.5 - Outstanding contribution again. He has really surprised me.

Ranger - 8 - Not sure that it was a penalty to be fair but he absolutely worked his socks off.
Cox - 8 - A really intelligent contribution and another one who was unlucky not to score with a rasping shot just before he was subbed.

Subs -

White - 8.5 - Contender for MOM as he stood in brilliantly for Inniss. I have no problem with him being there on Saturday if Ferdinand isn't fit.
McGlashan - 5 - The only down note for me... didn't make his usual impact and gave away the stupid free kick that led to the corner that led to their late winner.
Fortune - 6 - Struggled to get into it really.

Brown - The passion got to him again and he was off to the stands. Will that be another 3/4 game ban for him? That's where he started the season of course...

Ref - 6 - Doesn't like the advantage rule and paced out the longest 10 yards I've ever seen! It was at least 13 yards! I think he probably got the penalty call right to be fair.

i watched and counted he took eleven quite large paces. muppet.

the distance was ridiculous. shame we failed to take advantage

First things first.

The TBV (W & X tonight) were superb! :thumbsup:

Place was rocking!

Unbelievable support from TBV tonight. Bolton mute during the first half. Second half i could see them up on their feet singing/chanting but couldn't really hear them.

I'd say a poor effort from almost 700 bolton 'fans' housed in the apparently, accousticly superior north stand.

Unbelievable support from TBV tonight. Bolton mute during the first half. Second half i could see them up on their feet singing/chanting but couldn't really hear them.

I'd say a poor effort from almost 700 bolton 'fans' housed in the apparently, accousticly superior north stand.

I think we just drowned them out tbh best atmosphere at RH for sometime.

Now that was a painful defeat. 90 minutes plus of cut and thrust with both sides giving their all. First half Bolton were probably the more accomplished team and just edged the half, although route one Parkinson style was their favoured tactic. For our part injuries took their toll on the balance of the side, but not the spirit, the lads just never stopped running and getting a foot in. As others have said, it was a shame about Inniss and his injury, but John White filled the gap with style and experience. What we did lack was the finishing ability in the final third. It looked just a bit hopeful rather than planned to me in that half. Still 0-0 against the second placed FL1 team shows how far we have come as a squad since the start of the season.

The second half was just non stop attacking from the Blues, but again our finishing let us down. Bolton soaked up the pressure and then nicked the game in injury time. Mind you, there were times when they got by more by luck than judgement, that’s how much we went at them. Should we have had a penalty? Absolutely, Did we deserve a share of the points? Absolutely. Was the ref a bit weird? Absolutely. By the way, the crowd support was brilliant for the whole 90 minutes and TBV were loud and proud, well done lads. On to Charlton then and an opportunity to get the hurt of that defeat out of our systems.

Later...I posted this this morning to allow time for reflection. I've just read it back to myself and it's far too fair. They were really a bunch of cheating Northern gits who kicked their way to victory and didn't deserve anything from the game........I now feel that my match report is far more balanced and I feel much better!

Last edited:
And this is partly why many of us dislike Plankinson so much -
Parkinson "I don't think anyone here tonight could deny that we deserved the win."

Parkinson ticks all the boxes for being an a***

1) Mouthy
2) Ungracious
3) Dull football
4) Trying to referee the game himself
5) Blind to the reality of what actually happens
6) He's even an ex Col Ewe manager!

Things I'd forgotten :-

Dorian Dervite played 18 games for us.

I said exactly this to my friends in the car on the way home.
unfortunately for Ted, Walton has showed him up to be not quite good enough or ready for this level of football yet.

Really????

Walton is a better keeper than Smith, Championship quality. That said, Smith has played a fair amount of the season in a team that is in the play offs. I'd say he is ready for L1 football.

I think you should have a little more respect for Smith to be honest

Would love to see the penalty shout again - I was sat in the west, dead level with the incident, and it looked to me like Nile was clearly pushed to the ground in the end after trying to stay on his feet.

Parkinson ticks all the boxes for being an a***

1) Mouthy
2) Ungracious
3) Dull football
4) Trying to referee the game himself
5) Blind to the reality of what actually happens
6) He's even an ex Col Ewe manager!

No one likes him, the odious ****, but let's move on to Charlton, big performances again required

I have been watching southend for 40+ years and accept that you get good & bad refs, I'm very vocal when it comes to decisions being made.. and on balance the bad decisions level out over a season. The issue I cannot accept are throw-ins. Not a big thing I hear you say, but last night Bolton were taking taking throw-ins 10-15 yards from where the ball went out. This is not acceptable and blatant cheating. On top of this the ref/linesman both watching. Will this ever get sorted? :angry::angry::angry:

Back