• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bit harsh considering this is our first season in this League, and very few expected us to be where we are in the table?. FWIW i'm neither pro or anti Brown, although for a guy of his experience, I must admit I do find his tactics 'odd' at times.

Losing for me isn't everything but the way we lose is frankly embarrassing ,we are not playing brilliant teams ,yet we allow the opposition acres of grass as they zip it about yet when we have the ball it's slow ponderous and dull.

Alway's thought Phil has been lucky here,Wembley we were seconds from still playing league 2 and we suffered dull fame after game with odd moments of brilliance thrown in,this season at times we have been very good but again too many times we have been shocking.

A game we could have won and should have won. We had the better chances but once again it didn't go our way. The most blatant of blatant penalties not awarded, if scored would probably have won the game. Their goal was a real break away but was very well taken.

Getting frustrated saying the the same things over and over again, but we are so narrow. Yes we had width in Worrall who played very well up to his injury. But no width on the other side making the team very lop sided. As for hunt coming on for Worrall, probably one of the most bizarre substitutions ever by PB. We then had no width on either side and as Glen Pennyfather said on BBC Essex it played right in to the hands of the Chesterfield full backs who suddenly had acres of space to exploit. The second bizarre substitution involved the taking off of Barrnett, I thought he led the line extremely well and offered the only real threat going forward we had. Once he was taken off we looked a very different side with no one winning any headers up top. So once again us fans are left rubbing our heads over not only the starting formation but also yet again the substitutions. We didnt deserve to lose the game, but not sure in the end we would have deserved the win despite creating the better chances. I said Tuesday that the team have the look of one who knows PB might be on his way, many more weeks like this and I think he defo will be.

10th is very credible after promotion last season, but this team has proved numerous times this season that they are capable of much more than they have shown this week and I think that is what is frustrating fans the most. Unfortunately this team has little chance next week away to Barnsley who are the form side in the country. We have got to start playing football again instead of this hopeless hoof ball we have suddenly started playing recently. Get two wingers back in the side, or revert back to the 3511 that served us well a month or so ago.

What a load of ********.

too many jouneymen seeing out their days on good contracts -

Hunt
Wordsworth
Mooney

add in the ageing Barrat -

and the always confused Degaan

throw in a chancer like Brown ...

Bentley - look at ME going up for a corner

loanees simply trying to catch the eye

Everyone is playing for themselves - aren't they ?

value for money from Barnett
and from Worrall and Atkinson

Payne wants it

BUT the hunger from Chesterfield won it - Granty had it locked down for Crewe -

The real joy on the faces of the young men in red - at the final whistle for us its just another bad game in a long career -

another day another club another pay check -

Can you imagine what a real quality manager could do with the generous football budget at Roots Hall -

the next Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche, Martinez is out there.

If Brown does not deliver - plays off minimum -hes toast

Last edited by a moderator:
Too many people been on the mushrooms today - will reserve comment until tom.

Can we get Hendrie back to replace Coker who has been very poor, if not Brown needs to have a word with him to hit a few early crosses into the box instead of keep cutting back and trying to beat his man again, our strikers never know when the cross is coming in at least with White they know its 1 touch then the cross.

Don't know why you're raising this now. Coker has never played the early ball. It's nothing new.

There's some right tripe posted on here sometimes and it's getting worse.

As for today;

Deegan again played well considering he was doing the work of 2 players, Wordsworth was a disgrace, slow, lazy and totally inept.

Brown looks disinterested, his body language today and on Tuesday is not showing the passion he had before all this Bolton bollox started.

Lastly our "fans", we really do have some morons and whenever I sit in the South Upper it seems to be 10x worse. Woman sitting behind me shouts out "well done Ben unlucky" after a dreadful pass, when Deegan made his first mistake she lambasted him, just **** right off you silly old cow, not the only one but the one in my ear today.

Can't believe some of accounts running down the whole team.Our only problem was again the midfield no creative and forward running players to link up the play, really are missing the injured players.Thought Timlin should have replaced Wordsworth or Atkinson instead of taking off Barnett.Much better team effort and display than Tuesday just needed that bit of luck
If the rumours re Brown going are correct then we could be in for a rough end to the season ,and the new ground saga if tied to his contract no more than pie in the sky

I am amazed the mods allow this abuse to continue !

Last edited by a moderator:
Chesterfield were more up for it. Had more ideas, moved the ball quicker. We were slow in any build up lay, when we weren't lumping it up front.

We looked like a team playing away from home, trying to grab something on the break. We need 2 wingers at home, use the width of the pitch but we seem to play a very unbalanced midfield.

Ref had a good game, barring Mooney's penalty shout, which was a penalty all day every day.

I think we have to accept this season is consolidation, like we always hoped it would be, and just forget about the play offs. We just haven't got it in us to play in the Championship at the moment. Maybe another season in L1 with a different manager once PB has gone to Bolton will see some advancement on the pitch.

I agree that the build up play is slow and laboured. Our lack of creativity in breaking the opposition down has been poor for the last two games.

Not sure Brown's departure (if it happens) would necessarily see progress on the pitch. I think the whole squad is very competitive. There's not a lot between the lot of them position for position and that probably goes some way to explaining the team changes/formation changes. Nobody in the squad has really shown the consistency to hold the shirt for the season. There's hardly anyone who can demand to be first name on the team sheet and I think the selections each week tell that.
I'm of the opinion that Brown is getting more out of this squad than most would and, while he isn't exempt from criticism, I hope he stays.

The lack of midfield creativity is the problem. Payne tried hard but when he is surrounded by 4 defenders due to the distance to 3 defensive midfielders it is never going to work. Which is why Leonard is important as he is worth two of Atkinson Deegan and Wordsworth

Wordsworth was in the centre for creativity today and didn't deliver. If he isn't doing that for the team then I'd rather have a worker in there. Woody HAS to offer more for the team.

I am amazed the mods allow this abuse to continue !
There were 20 minutes between the post being made and the post being deleted. It's 9pm on a Saturday night. As a team of volunteers, mods and owners do their best to remove any abuse as soon as it is spotted but we can't always spot everything immediately. If you've got that much of a problem with it then help us by reporting the post.

There were 20 minutes between the post being made and the post being deleted. It's 9pm on a Saturday night. As a team of volunteers, mods and owners do their best to remove any abuse as soon as it is spotted but we can't always spot everything immediately. If you've got that much of a problem with it then help us by reporting the post.

Thank you.

When you look at the gate we had for the Crewe game then look at today's gate I can only say a big well done to those that turned up today, I never thought there would be 7,500 plus for today going on the back of the Crewe match:thumbsup:

Kids for a quid boosted the gate!

We definitely played better than Tuesday and probably deserved a point, having said that we were impotent in the final third :sad:.

Bentley 6
White 6 - Good to see him back and defended well. More attacking threat than Thompson.
Coker 5 - Did ok but gave the ball away needlessly prior to the goal.
Barrett 6
Bolger 6
Deegan 7 - MOM I'm no Deegan fan boy but he was easily our best player today.
Atkinson 5
Wordsworth 5
Worrall 7 - Started really well, I hope he's not out for long.
Payne 7 - In and out of the game but looked the only player likely to create a chance.
Barnett 6 - Started well but drifted out as the game went on.

SUBS
Hunt 5 - What's happened to the Hunt of early season? Sadly looks a shadow at present.
McQueen 5 - No real impact.
Mooney - Not enough time to give a score, was it a pen? My first reaction was yes, until I see a replay it's hard to say. However he hasn't done himself any favours in the past by going down far too easily.

Last edited:
There's some right tripe posted on here sometimes and it's getting worse.

As for today;

Deegan again played well considering he was doing the work of 2 players, Wordsworth was a disgrace, slow, lazy and totally inept.

Brown looks disinterested, his body language today and on Tuesday is not showing the passion he had before all this Bolton bollox started.

Lastly our "fans", we really do have some morons and whenever I sit in the South Upper it seems to be 10x worse. Woman sitting behind me shouts out "well done Ben unlucky" after a dreadful pass, when Deegan made his first mistake she lambasted him, just **** right off you silly old cow, not the only one but the one in my ear today.

:nope: I'd argue against this strongly, he looked as passionate as always to me. IMO you are looking for something that's not there due to the rumours.

Don't know why you're raising this now. Coker has never played the early ball. It's nothing new.

Frustration I suppose as others have said once Worrall went of the fullbacks were providing our width and Coker keeps doing as you say he has to be told.

Bentley 6 Did nothing of note other than conceded.

White 5 defended well but offered little going forward.
Bolger 4 Really poor play throughout and awful distribution
Barrett 5 Same old but seems to be getting slower
Coker 5 Average and nobody in front of him to link with
Worrall 7 the best player on the pitch until being injures
Deegan 3 was he playing?
Atkinson 4 headless chicken. Run run run. That's about it
Wordsworth 4 great when the goings good. And garbage when things get tough.
Payne 5 Just didn't get going
Barnett 7 The only player who played like he wanted it
Subs Hunt 4 Just didn't have any influence on the match
McQueen 6 looked lively but had no effect
Mooney 4 typical mooney

Brown 1 out of 10. Awful team selection awful substitutions and frankly the energy and enthusiasm shown by the players was that of a team that is not playing for their manager.

Proper shower of **** today and didn't deserve the 7500 paying customers.

Will comment more tomorrow, but want to add my overall observations tonight.

the problem, as I see it my friends, is that Brown is so busy trying to second-guess what the opposition will do that there is no focus on us doing what we do best, and carrying on doing that! We looked great vs Burton and Coventry, where we won convincingly, yet we are still faffing around with various formations, with no width and a distinct lack of creativity. And even our creative players do not seem to have the freedom to roam and play to their strengths. Today's defeat was sadly no surprise in the end. We looked like a team at the bottom end of the table and away from home, not a team starting the game 1 point outside the playoffs... Yet, in very small patches, we played the ball on the deck, ran at them, and suddenly we look dangerous. Fast forward a few moments, then the ball is launched skywards again then given away freely. WTF is that all about???

No need to go overboard lads. We didn't play too badly today but our confidence is lower than it was. Barnett and Worrall should have scored and we should have had a penalty. Chesterfield scored with a breakaway as we were pressing for a late winner.

Barnsley will be a tough proposition but, you know what? I bet we'll beat 'em.

Back