• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bentley 6 Did nothing of note other than conceded.

White 5 defended well but offered little going forward.
Bolger 4 Really poor play throughout and awful distribution
Barrett 5 Same old but seems to be getting slower
Coker 5 Average and nobody in front of him to link with
Worrall 7 the best player on the pitch until being injures
Deegan 3 was he playing?
Atkinson 4 headless chicken. Run run run. That's about it
Wordsworth 4 great when the goings good. And garbage when things get tough.
Payne 5 Just didn't get going
Barnett 7 The only player who played like he wanted it
Subs Hunt 4 Just didn't have any influence on the match
McQueen 6 looked lively but had no effect
Mooney 4 typical mooney

Brown 1 out of 10. Awful team selection awful substitutions and frankly the energy and enthusiasm shown by the players was that of a team that is not playing for their manager.

Proper shower of **** today and didn't deserve the 7500 paying customers.

I was going to do my own ratings but tommy beat me to it.

His scores and comments are very similar to my own.

So just because we made it up last season, by the skin of our teeth, we are supposed to be full of pride and joy after that gutless performance. Dont think so. Of course, if I was to predict where we would finish this season, especially as it took to the Peterbrough game to get our first win, then like everyone I would be happy to finish mid table. The thing is though I think we over-estimated the quality of this league, and we could have and should be doing better. Its hard to figure out where Brown is coming from at the moment and what he is trying to achieve. From the christmas schedule where changes were needed and set us on that bad run of conceeding 11 in 3 games, and to now where its numerous changes every game. Today we hardly put one decent move together. Passing was non existent. No one really knew their individual role. Our play was slow and laborious and predictable. Our full backs had no outlets, especially Coker, no one in front of him to give and go. Him and White were restricted to long balls. Deegan did have a better game and was trying to link the defence with the midfield and attack like Leonard does. I lost count of how many times he had no one to pass to. All in all very disappointing. Brown is over thinking it and trying to be cleverer than the opposition manager at the expense of the team. Just my opinion of course but footballs a simple game. No more in evidence than Leicester city. 4-4-2 with two wingers is good enough to be top of the Premier League. Im not saying thats the way we should play but how many formations have we had this season. Anyway its clear this season will peter out and we will finish comfortably in midtable

Last edited:
Far too one-dimensional once Worrall went off. All down the middle, either (a) give to Payne and hope he beats the entire Chesterfield team or (b) loft (mostly aimless) balls into the box from deep.

I have a bit of sympathy with Deegan, who was actually my MOTM. Every time he got the ball in the middle of the park with a bit of time, you could see he was looking for a bit of width and everyone (bar Coker occassionally) were all central! His only option sometimes was to play the ball back. Have to ask if McLaughlin is injured again? If not, how comes he was not on the bench and we named THREE strikers as subs.

Did think McQueen would have been a more natural replacement for Worrall but, on the flip side, the upfront pairing of Barnett and Hunt would usually produce results with the right service.

And, I'm sorry, I really don't think White is better RB than O'Neill, who gives us FAR more in an attacking sense and would have at least provided another outlet as he likes to get forward.

I know another thread is pointing out we are still 10th and we would have all taken this pre-season, and I totally agree, but this thread is a report on today's match and I thought we were poor.

Sadly, play-off place looks gone now.

Apart from Payne our midfield were simply appalling,sideways passing ,zero tempo and just plain slow in every aspect.

Barnett battled and chased and he most be wondering where was the service!

For my money I expect more than what was offered,Phil has been in charge for a very reasonable time yet he's team constantly underperform far too many times.

Far too one-dimensional once Worrall went off. All down the middle, either (a) give to Payne and hope he beats the entire Chesterfield team or (b) loft (mostly aimless) balls into the box from deep.

I have a bit of sympathy with Deegan, who was actually my MOTM. Every time he got the ball in the middle of the park with a bit of time, you could see he was looking for a bit of width and everyone (bar Coker occassionally) were all central! His only option sometimes was to play the ball back. Have to ask if McLaughlin is injured again? If not, how comes he was not on the bench and we named THREE strikers as subs.

Did think McQueen would have been a more natural replacement for Worrall but, on the flip side, the upfront pairing of Barnett and Hunt would usually produce results with the right service.

And, I'm sorry, I really don't think White is better RB than O'Neill, who gives us FAR more in an attacking sense and would have at least provided another outlet as he likes to get forward.

I know another thread is pointing out we are still 10th and we would have all taken this pre-season, and I totally agree, but this thread is a report on today's match and I thought we were poor.

Sadly, play-off place looks gone now.
Spot on, that's the second game in a week that Deegan has had no outlet, he was also covering Wordsworth who I think is a luxury player. Wordsworth can look dangerous on the edge of the opposition box but he has been lazy in the last 2 games and left big holes in midfield when the opposition are on the attack.

At this stage of the season 4 changes on Tuesday night 3 changes on Saturday and two thirds of the way into the season and manager simply does not know his best starting 11.

First of all it looked quite promising with Worrall giving us width and an outlet from midfield and going forward we looked quite dangerous and it was pretty much an end-to-end game.

From looking quite promising with Worrall getting injured, instead of a like-for-like swap with McQueen being a simple replacement the manager not only brings on an unlikely sub but also totally changes the system and from this point on we look totally disjointed.

Midfield, with the exception of Jack Payne, looked disinterested, especially Wordsworth, and, with no width, had no outlets.

Then, to our utter amazement, PB takes off our best striking option when his journeyman partner had done absolutely nothing and certainly looks like he's catching his last paydays, and with that substitution, the penalty appeal aside, we were never going to score.

From starting off the season looking fit, closing teams down quickly, playing with some width we now look disjointed without any plan B.

I honestly believe PB did an excellent job was promoted last year but even at Wembley it took 2 wingers to change the game. He has now bought in an excellent attacking option in Barnett who thrives on crosses and yet refuses to play any wingers.

Looking at all the managers of the teams who come to RH I can't help thinking that they live and die by their decisions and their jobs are at stake based upon performances and results.

In PB we have a manager who has done well for us getting is out of the basement division but certainly, with his media work, is not reliant purely upon the job at Southend United and I think it's beginning to show.

I don't fancy doing scores , because it's obvious that there are a huge range of differences between a fans perspective .. A couple of points though :-

- I agree with Brown that Chesterfield came for the point, they set up with 1 man up front and whilst yes they passed the ball and switched play , their play was often sideways , as often levied against Southend players. Their chances all pretty much were outside the area pot shots.
- until Worrell went off we were causing them serious problems down the right hand side. White obviously plus well with Worrell in front of him , because in the first 30 mins White got 3 dangerous crosses in and he and Worrell worked well to make a lot of space for Worrell coming in side
- I agree that the Hunt change for Worrell wasn't the right one as it changed the dynamics that up until that had worked, ie stretch the game out
- I rate Wordsworth as a football player , but he needs to get those long legs stuck in more
- whilst we are not a 1 man team and I'm not saying he is our saviour, but my god we miss Lenny. His energy and workrate for starters , but also he sets the tempo when he runs from deep with the ball
- some of the grief White was getting in the second half from the West Stand was a disgrace
- booing Mooney coming on , for me is also a disgrace. Yes it's obvious people don't rate him, but booing him when coming on isn't really going to get anything better from him is it !
- was I disappointed with the result, not really more the performance ( same as Crewe ), but it's good to see the old " we were lucky last season rubbish " start rearing its head , my how ive missed those wonderful threads ( time to take a holiday from this site again - yes forums are all about opinions but we've seen that comment to death , do we need to read them again again again , get some new points. Concentrate on the now ).
- all in all, id give this season a 7.5 out of 10 and I've seen quite a bit of it. As a paying consumer I'd say that's a decent return. We've seen some awesome games , including some superb away days but we've also seen some awful performances. I think it's fair to say we've not been consistent, hence why we are mid table , but who was expecting anything better than this ? Colchester have been consistent look at them , so if you want consistency we could always swap with them !

I've rambled a bit there, but as the daughter is watching Paw Patrol I thought I could kill some time

I don't think the Boos were for Mooney coming on, it was more for Barnett being taken off which was ludicrous given the fact that Hunt stayed on and had been totally ineffective.

I don't think the Boos were for Mooney coming on, it was more for Barnett being taken off which was ludicrous given the fact that Hunt stayed on and had been totally ineffective.

Yes this !

Taking off Barnett(unless he was injured)was mental,Hunt did absoulatey nothing and looked as he was thinking of the summer holidays,I don't think the booing was for Mooney.

I think if Hunt had started, he would have been subbed, but there is a reluctance to sub a sub and I guess PB was caught with that issue.

We all felt he could have taken a midfielder/defender off and just played three strikers anyway and gone for it, as we had nothing to lose.

It's so clear Brown doesn't have a clue what his best eleven is.

Coker was surprisingly off form yesterday.

I think if Hunt had started, he would have been subbed, but there is a reluctance to sub a sub and I guess PB was caught with that issue.

We all felt he could have taken a midfielder/defender off and just played three strikers anyway and gone for it, as we had nothing to lose.

Bit maybe it would let Hunt know he needs to pull his finger out.

Bit maybe it would let Hunt know he needs to pull his finger out.

4 goals...injured....uninterested.

Pointless signing !

We do it every year,sign an ageing veteran whose best days are long gone!

Bizarre !

Yes this !

Taking off Barnett(unless he was injured)was mental,Hunt did absoulatey nothing and looked as he was thinking of the summer holidays,I don't think the booing was for Mooney.

Nope, in the west stand there was booing for Mooney , suppose it's where you sit really. But Mooney was booed and then lambasted for the time he was on the pitch , really productive from people citing themselves as fans

Nope, in the west stand there was booing for Mooney , suppose it's where you sit really. But Mooney was booed and then lambasted for the time he was on the pitch , really productive from people citing themselves as fans

Shame on those fans if you correct.

there were plenty of sarcastic comments coming from the east too with regards to mooney. things like 'see if you can be bothered to jump for this one mooney'. nothing massively hurtful, nor coordinated enough to make a difference on the pitch. just a few smart a*ses trying to get a laugh from their mindless mates.

For what its worth, i thought barnett was inconsistent in his effort and made team mates look bad with his failure to continue a run. Hes a big unit, and was visibly flagging towards the end. by that point in the game it was just a case of trying something different. barnett hadnt come close to scoring, so why would he once tired?

A lot of good comments on this thread, most people have the same thoughts that Brown makes too many changes to the team on a regular basis and still does not know his best eleven and I'm sure if we asked Phil what width was he would struggle to answer!!!

After that shambolic Crewe match I would off had the players in on the wednesday, but instead Brown was on sky sports that morning!! does not seem right to me.......

I think he has one eye on his media stuff and the other on Bolton!!!!

Lets see if Gary Johnson does any better next season!!!

UTB

Back