• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 Gillingham FC

If we had any chance of survival I'd be gutted we didn't get a point but given that we're basically down already I'm pretty happy with that performance. The goal aside we kept Gillingham quiet for most of the match and fashioned a couple of decent chances, Rush in particular must be wondering how he missed at the end.

We were unlucky tonight. A draw would have been a fair result. Well played lads, you're learning lessons and the experience will stand you in good stead for next season.

We were unlucky tonight. A draw would have been a fair result. Well played lads, you're learning lessons and the experience will stand you in good stead for next season.
Will it really....do you think we are going to stay up next season in League 2 with Sol Campbell and the academy team, I think not!

Unlucky lads ! you gave it your best shot. In a way, this could be a nice way of blooding these young lads with a view to next season. By then, we'll know which of them have what it takes and it should keep our wage bill much lower.

Also, great crowd considering our position. Well done to everyone for sticking with them.

All we need is a goalkeeper that never ever, ever makes a mistake, a Central Midfielder that gets name checked on the radio regularly and we are laughing, everyone will be happy.....

Boys played well again.
Killing me watch these **** house teams beat us all the time.

Sol has worked magic. I just hope we can get these two guys from Mac signed up to play a few going into next season!

Last edited:
Some weird picks and subs but I suppose everything has to be viewed in the context of managing the workload of a load of kids and some players coming back from long-term injury, with a third game in seven days coming up on Saturday. Sol probably has a view to starting Shaughnessy on Sat and wanted to give him minutes.

I didn't enjoy that. Is it me or is Campbell going through the motions. He did nothing to affect the game from the bench. If he doesn't want to be in charge (and I would not blame him if he felt that) then go and at least let us have some enthusiasm injected into the team.

Slightly confused by the line-up, tactics and subs today... everything felt a little flat tonight and I’m not sure I enjoyed watching. It’s a slightly depressing experience watching the young lads trying their best - but they ultimately shouldn’t be playing, here’s the ratings nonetheless...

Seaden - 4 - Looked confident, but absolutely nowhere for crosses. Fundamental goalkeeping error for the goal... perhaps he was rushed back from injury, he will learn from today and get better.

Kyprianou - 6 - Solid enough, good to see him back from a bad injury.
Bwomono - 7 - Elvis gets better by the game. Solid defensive performance today.
Dieng - 6 - Done fairly well at the back, looks commanding.
Mitchell-Nelson - 5 - Looks class one minute then a liability the next. A few mistakes tonight but I think he will turn into a good player.

McLaughlin - 7 - Thought Macca played well today. His flick ons and headers could have helped us if we didn’t have one up top.
Egbri - 6 - Looks okay but doesn’t offer any more than Barratt or Goodship for me.
Milligan - 7 - Was lively and put a shift in.
Mantom - 6 - He was okay, not amazing.
Clifford - 5 - He looked a bit off today, and nowhere near as assured as he has been at left back. Would prefer him at the back on Saturday.

Kelman - 6 - Tried, but he can’t play up front on his own. It just doesn’t work. Needs someone alongside or just behind to feed him.

Subs:
Shaughnessy - 6 - Out of position but good to see him back. Would like him next to Dieng on Saturday.

Bar an error of judgment from the academy debutant in goal it would have been a clean sheet and a point on the board.

Some of the football - in two 15 minute spells - was pleasing to watch and they put their all into the performance.

Unlucky not to get a point there. That's all we can ask for until this nightmare season is over. Would of liked barratt for egbri and rush for kyprianou a bit earlier to go after the game but that's the only criticism tonight really.

Genuinely think if we can get 4 or 5 solid signings through the door in summer we may well see an average season next year which excites me as opposed to the last 2.

Up the blues

Goalkeeping mistake was the difference between the teams. Gills were big, strong and dirty. The ref protected Egbri much more than the ref did on Saturday. Rush was unlucky right at the death. Good solid performance from a youthful team with some neat passing

Great to see Kyp and Shaunnessy back playing. Shaunnessy came on and played CM and actually looked ok there.

I am very much in the Ranger to return under Sol, give him a fresh start. We need a big strong striker with experience

Someone said: 'don't blame the kids'. Why? They're not good enough yet; Clifford apart, because they are kids.
Mitchell-Nelson, Egbri, Rush (with his one chance, but what a chance!) and Seaden contributed little or nothing.
It's a shame they've being thrown to the wolves, but four seasoned pros instead of the four above would have won this.
I'm not sure this is 'good experience' for them - with emphasis on the 'good'.
I suppose what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...eventually.

All we need is a goalkeeper that never ever, ever makes a mistake, a Central Midfielder that gets name checked on the radio regularly and we are laughing, everyone will be happy.....
A 'central midfielder' that does anything, something, would be a change.

SOUTHEND United slipped to a fourth successive defeat tonight as in-form Gillingham recorded a 1-0 win at a wet Roots Hall.

More...

Given that I go with very low expectations these days overall I enjoyed the game. Some decent play by the youngsters. Kyps and Clifford did well. Add some experienced players and we will have a decent side next year. Only downside I felt was that Sol should have subbed Egbri mid way through the second half given that he stopped having any influence on the game as he tired (understandably)

A 'central midfielder' that does anything, something, would be a change.
Things might be tough here but thank goodness I don’t have to watch Gillingham every week. I think Campbell missed a trick. Egbri could not get into the game in the second half. It was almost like playing with ten men. He should have boosted the attack earlier . Best team lost .

Back