• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 Gillingham FC

A disappointing result against an avaerge Gills team. Typical Evans team, hoof ball and kick lumps out of your opponents. We didn't deserve to lose and their only effort on target was the goal. We played the better football and the least we deserved was a draw which young Rush should have secured for us. Of the youngsters Egbri agin impressed but tired second half and Clifford again oozed class on the ball. Mitchell at the back had some dodgy moments but agin I still having to learn very quickly. Seadon in goal will probably regret waiting for the cross as the goal was probably down to him, but like others he will learn. Macca, Dieng, Mantom, Elvis and Milligan all put in a shift as did Harry K who grew into the game. Shaughnessy's return is also welcome and at least we now have some senior players coming back into the squad with JD also set to return on Saturday

Like others i was surprised Barrett didn't come on in the second half but for me over the next few months it's about Sol giving game time to players and working out what's what for next season

So yes a disappointing result again but not as bad a night as some are making it out to be

Thought Harry did well on his debut at 18, must be very nerve racking especially in the second half with 800 Gills supporters goading him. Find your comments normally positive SNB, not this time, easy to sit in the stand and see what he should have done, the pressure on him was immense. Saw him 3 times for Great Wakering last season the lad has a future

I only say how I saw it. Harry did a lot of good things, but he was caught out on crosses. They missed a couple of headed sitters in the match, before the goal. And I did say, the kids are doing their best, but have been thrown in too soon.

I’m not intending to be negative and will always support the players at the game as long as they try. But that’s the third defeat on the bounce I've watched in just over a week, I was wet and fed up. Fans have different opinions, why that winds people up I’m not sure. Some just won’t accept alternative views...we all support the team or we wouldn’t be here, let’s face it. Some think Ron’s a c#*t, some think Campbell can do no wrong. Some rate Hutch, some clearly don’t. We all have opinions....that’s what makes it interesting and certainly amuses me on match days. Who hasn’t sat/stood behind someone who appears to be watching another game entirely?

I’m not intending to be negative and will always support the players at the game as long as they try. But that’s the third defeat on the bounce I've watched in just over a week, I was wet and fed up. Fans have different opinions, why that winds people up I’m not sure. Some just won’t accept alternative views...we all support the team or we wouldn’t be here, let’s face it. Some think Ron’s a c#*t, some think Campbell can do no wrong. Some rate Hutch, some clearly don’t. We all have opinions....that’s what makes it interesting and certainly amuses me on match days. Who hasn’t sat/stood behind someone who appears to be watching another game entirely?

Do you sit behind Sol?

Not one corner won for us the whole game. Kelman as a lone target man jumping against giants, two shots on target the whole game. Gillingham were poor but my goodness its tactically, the worst Southend side I've ever seen.

I’m with Rootshallbloke! I enjoyed the game and felt each one of our team put in a shift. Youngsters will make mistakes, won’t carve out the same opportunities as more seasoned professionals might but this team is learning and will improve. We are more competitive now than we were and are playing some decent football by drawing on the enthusiasm and willingness to work hard and learn of our young players. Matching player to player on paper Gillingham should have cantered home against a team with only three wins all season- and they didn’t. They lucked out to win a game that we deserved at least a draw from. We are playing the players we have and as long as they give of their best and put pride into their team and mine then I will back them all the way.

Oh, and our fans may moan and wail at times but a crowd of over 6,000 shows the great support and supporters we have.
Except it was nowhere near 6,000. They include season-ticket holders in the figures, and I would say over 1,000 of them were absent tonight.
I have not seen so many empty seats in the West Stand for a long time.

I only say how I saw it. Harry did a lot of good things, but he was caught out on crosses. They missed a couple of headed sitters in the match, before the goal. And I did say, the kids are doing their best, but have been thrown in too soon.
No criticism to you and totally agree our excellent kids have been thrown in too soon, but Harry just needs a bit more confidence to own the penalty area which will come in time. After tonight in my opinion I think our youngsters are thinking hold on we can beat some of these teams

No criticism to you and totally agree our excellent kids have been thrown in too soon, but Harry just needs a bit more confidence to own the penalty area which will come in time. After tonight in my opinion I think our youngsters are thinking hold on we can beat some of these teams

For sure. We could have won tonight. Some of these kids have a really bright future. Harry will learn and get better. Goalies tend to fill out and get more solid after about 20 years of age. That's when they tend to be bolder and braver against bruising forwards or giant centre backs coming in for the header.

For sure. We could have won tonight. Some of these kids have a really bright future. Harry will learn and get better. Goalies tend to fill out and get more solid after about 20 years of age. That's when they tend to be bolder and braver against bruising forwards or giant centre backs coming in for the header.
Agree with you, changing the subject slightly shows how good Nathan was for a youngster shame many people on this site criticised him on this site,and in front of a none existent defence

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell had words of praise for goalkeeper Harry Seaden after the young shot-stopper made his Shrimpers debut against Gillingham.

More...

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell praised his young players after seeing them slip to 1-0 defeat to Gillingham at Roots Hall.

More...

I think Sol is actually having a bloody good bash at polishing a ****.

I think he is operating a squad rotation system to avoid the kids getting too burnt out or demoralised and the seniors from getting too injured. Bear in mind that Kyp and Shaughnessy are just coming back, Demi (injured anyway) and Macca can't do 3 games in a week, Milligan is 34 and White, Humphreys, Lennon, Ralph and Hyam are all out long term. I'm not sure what Hyam is out with to be honest but he's nowhere near anything so I assume he's got something!

My mate's 12 year old daughter wondered what the average height of the team was... even she noticed we were much smaller than the opposition! Tonight we were crying out for some height - hence Shaughnessy coming on. Kyp did well and that enabled Clifford to move further forwards and the link up play in the first half was superb on occasion. Unfortunately we have limited striking options which, as good a prospect as Kelman may be, is not helping us because there is no-one else able to play alongside.

Sol has lost, what, 8 players and brought in none. That isn't his fault.

The pre-season fitness (or lack of) isn't his fault.

Yes, his interviews are a bit strange at times but "I don't know" (or course he does) is more professional in my opinion than "No comment".

In any event, none of this is his fault and the team effort and ability has improved massively since the Bond days.

Some of the comments and rating son here are so harsh for tonight - I can't believe I was at the same game. We were by FAR the better side, Gillingham were poor, the only difference being the inexperience of an 18 year old debutant keeper. We did not deserve to lose that game.

Ratings -

Seaden - 6 - Kicking was in difficult conditions, did nothing wrong other than not attack a very good cross from the right for their goal.

Elvis - 8 - Solid, mature performance and provided good attacking options in the first half, especially.
Mitchell-Nelson - 8 - Very calm and assured, looked like he's played there for ever. Can't believe it's only his 3rd appearance.
Dieng - 8 - Decent performance, again, didn't put a foot wrong.
Kyprianou - 7 - Good to see him back, started blowing after about 55 mins and was surprised he wasn't subbed sooner.

Egbri - 6 - Ok, full of effort but am not sure he has the all round game to progress. Lacks the blistering pace and super skills to make up for his small stature. We will see.
Milligan - 8.5 - MOM - Superb. Linked up really well with all his midfield collegaues and barely put a foot wrong.
Mantom - 7 - Good effort again, didn't do anything wrong and linked play well, especially in the first half.
Clifford - 8 - Moved into left midfield and wasn't intimidated, used the ball well.
McLaughlin - 7 - Played out of position and it showed, good effort though.

Kelman - 7 - Battled very hard up top on his own and got little service, did well to create something from nothing a couple of times.

Subs -

Shaugnessy - 6 - Brought on to provide a bit of height as Gillingham were winning everything in the air.
Rush - 6 - Had a golden chance in injury time to equalise. Hit it well and fooled everyone in the East as they thought it would nestle in the back of the net. It didn't.

Last edited:
I think Sol is actually having a bloody good bash at polishing a ****.

I think he is operating a squad rotation system to avoid the kids getting too burnt out or demoralised and the seniors from getting too injured. Bear in mind that Kyp and Shaughnessy are just coming back, Demi (injured anyway) and Macca can't do 3 games in a week, Milligan is 34 and White, Humphreys, Lennon, Ralph and Hyam are all out long term. I'm not sure what Hyam is out with to be honest but he's nowhere near anything so I assume he's got something!

My mate's 12 year old daughter wondered what the average height of the team was... even she noticed we were much smaller than the opposition! Tonight we were crying out for some height - hence Shaughnessy coming on. Kyp did well and that enabled Clifford to move further forwards and the link up play in the first half was superb on occasion. Unfortunately we have limited striking options which, as good a prospect as Kelman may be, is not helping us because there is no-one else able to play alongside.

Sol has lost, what, 8 players and brought in none. That isn't his fault.

The pre-season fitness (or lack of) isn't his fault.

Yes, his interviews are a bit strange at times but "I don't know" (or course he does) is more professional in my opinion than "No comment".

In any event, none of this is his fault and the team effort and ability has improved massively since the Bond days.

Some of the comments and rating son here are so harsh for tonight - I can't believe I was at the same game. We were by FAR the better side, Gillingham were poor, the only difference being the inexperience of an 18 year old debutant keeper. We did not deserve to lose that game.

Ratings -

Seaden - 6 - Kicking was in difficult conditions, did nothing wrong other than not attack a very good cross from the right for their goal.

Elvis - 8 - Solid, mature performance and provided good attacking options in the first half, especially.
Mitchell-Nelson - 8 - Very calm and assured, looked like he's played there for ever. Can't believe it's only his 3rd appearance.
Dieng - 8 - Decent performance, again, didn't put a foot wrong.
Kyprianou - 7 - Good to see him back, started blowing after about 55 mins and was surprised he wasn't subbed sooner.

Egbri - 6 - Ok, full of effort but am not sure he has the all round game to progress. Lacks the blistering pace and super skills to make up for his small stature. We will see.
Milligan - 8.5 - MOM - Superb. Linked up really well with all his midfield collegaues and barely put a foot wrong.
Mantom - 7 - Good effort again, didn't do anything wronmg and linked play well, especially in the first half.
Clifford - 8 - Moved into left midfield and wasn't intimidated, used the ball well.
McLaughlin - 7 - Played out of position and it showed, good effort though.

Kelman - 7 - Battled very hard up top on his own and got little service, did well to create something from nothing a couple of times.

Subs -

Shaugnessy - 6 - Brought on to provide a bit of height as Gillingham were winning everything in the air.
Rush - 6 - Had a golden chance in injury time to equalise. Hit it well and fooled everyone in the East as they thought it would nestle in the back of the net. It didn't.
Great post, spot on

I thought this on Saturday. For some reason, probably being a bit prejudiced I suppose, I expected him to be very quick and tricky, but it doesn’t look like he actually is. He works bloody hard definitely, but without super pace I fear he’s going to struggle to carve a pro career.

From a different perspective to normal, we thoroughly enjoyed the game. It was good to see some confidence in the side with them pinging the ball about between each others several times. It was great to see Harry Kyp back starting, and also to see Joe Shaugnessy come on after their respective injuries.

I've never had much time for Evans, but watching him at the end with the Gillingham supporters, I was quite envious of the connect he has with them which we've been missing since Powell first came in.

Very slow to make subs, I felt Hutchinson or Barratt should have come on for Egbri, and Clifford should have been pushed back earlier for Kyp. And how can you be losing and not make all 3 subs when that match was certainly there to get something out of? It's great that the youngsters are "bedding in" but we need to challenge if any points are there for the taking.

Seaden - 6.5, thought he did ok on the whole, the goal apart. Confident, carries himself well and smothered the ball on more than one occasion
Bwomono - 8, Elvis was into everything, can see a big money offer coming in at the end of the season. Good tackling, good challenging and always offering an option
Mitchell-Nelson - 7, looks assured, kept his concentration
Dieng - 7.5, grown so much in stature
Kyprianou - 6.5, good to see him back, looked a little slow but brought some height and got a few tackles in
Egbri - 6.5, had some good moments but tired
Mantom - 7, a solid performance, with some good passing. Glad he kept away from the dead balls for once
Milligan - 8.5, MOTM, this is the player we hoped for at the start of the season. I don't know if it's Sol or the players that have left, but he is like a new signing
Clifford - 8, I really like this young man, huge energy, huge heart
McLaughlin - 7.5, Macca is another that looks rejuvenated. Great to see the old Macca back
Kelman - 6.5, things aren't going Charlie's way at the moment, but his chance will come

Subs:
Shaugnessy - 7, good to see him back, used his height well and won plenty of headers
Rush - 7, brought some energy and was unlucky

Officials - Kettle had a good game!

One down side from just before the game started. Our normal ritual is park up, grab a latte and a hot chocolate from the M&S Garage and then walk to the ground. Bugger me, the machine was in pieces awaiting an engineer last night, that's just not on! In desparation we went for white coffee and hot choc from the West Stand drinks bar. I don't have the words to describe the coffee, net time I'll pass. And whilst I'm on a whinge fest, the rain still comes through the West Stand entrace roof Ron, and there was a lot of rain last night, maybe turn off the lights in the lobby when it's raining, just a thought. Definitely make sure you have rubber soles on if rain is forecast.:Winking:

Back