• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Ipswich Town

I agree with that. Bakoyobo didn't impress tonight. Looked flat footed, poor in the air, didn't get tight on too many occasions and I thought he was blowing when Ipswich had a period of play that came down our left. (Obviously fitness can be worked on.) If it was a choice between Bakayobo and Herd I'd go for the latter.
As for Rigters, I thought he showed some encouraging signs. Fast, looked to make something happen, not afraid to shoot and had good feet. My concern with him though is that he might have bigger plans than us. If he wants to get his career going again then he'll be too good for our level, if he isn't motivated to make it happen then I wouldn't want him anyway.

What game were you watching???
Bakayobo was more than ok. Good strength and awareness of position and who he was up against. Good game all round. Rigters was bloody quick. They both deserve another look.

What game were you watching???
Bakayobo was more than ok. Good strength and awareness of position and who he was up against. Good game all round. Rigters was bloody quick. They both deserve another look.

Yeah, I'd agree, Rigters wasn't as quick as I'd thought, certainly no Theo, and I'm not too sure about Barney and him - I actually think he'd work brilliantly with Dougie. Incidentally, Laurent is ok, just a little "pain"!

I agree Paul, thought Moussa was dire until the kids came on. At least we got the chance to see Sawyer and Macca and I thought they did ok as a pairing. Failed completely to understand the subs, Franno played the full game on Saturday and looked quite in control I thought last night so keep him on. Considering he was playing alongside Jeff, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt - also didn't understand taking Rigters off, or Macca for that matter. Laurent had been kicked, shoved and fouled to hell and back - his ankle is definitely going to be in a bad way today and he should have been allowed to come off.

Fwiw, I though we did reasonably well, Ipswich scored practically their only two chances and for a game that was mainly played out in the middle of the field and with us having a makeshift back 4, I thought it was ok. I like the little no.3, and I'd certainly like to see him given a chance in a few more games. A central defender has to be the top priority though and the sooner the better.

Officials were terrible, there were some awful challenges going in from the Ipswich players.

Thought Sawyer and Macca worked quite well, but it meant Macca having to hold all the time and fair play, he did it well - but I dont know if he would want to do that for a whole season as his game is based on being more box to box (like Sawyer).

I think with Laurents performances on the right so far, Macca may find himself out of the side (sorry OBL!) with Grant/Christophe partnering Sawyer.

Sawyer looked head and shoulders above most of the players out there last night too (including Ipswich) and for me HAS to start central.

Never mind the back 4, I think the most interesting selection for Huddersfield will be how Tilly lines us up in midfield - my mate has a sneaky suspicion that Tilly wont leave Macca out...

Never mind the back 4, I think the most interesting selection for Huddersfield will be how Tilly lines us up in midfield - my mate has a sneaky suspicion that Tilly wont leave Macca out...

Of course, I think your mate will be right ;), he looked actually quite shocked to be subbed last night, and I think had been enjoying playing the more defensive role.

I would consider signing Bakayogo, he has looked good to me in the Chelmsford/Ipswich games. He got forward and overlapped a couple of times and swung some crosses in, something unfortunately Francis seems scared to do.

Rigters, looked pacey, held it up well, but looks like one of those strikers that needs a constant supply line. Without it, he would be non-existant. So we need to sign a winger who can put the crosses in, or he will be wasted if we sign him.

The defence was all over the place when Adam went off. No surprise really. But shows that we need a couple of bodies in there, at least.

All in all, I thought the midfield was very good. I honestly think it will be one of the strongest in League One. But, we need a winger to feed some crosses in. Up front ok, still think we need a fox in the box though, Rigters could be it, if he gets the service. The defence as we know is the main problem. Bakayogo could be the answer to the left back slot, although I am not 100% convinced just yet. Obviously we need a big commanding centre half or 2 as well.

So, in my opinion, we need the following 4 players.

Winger, who has pace, has the confidence to take on the full backs and whip some crosses in.

Left back.

Big centre half.

Fox in the box striker.

...Fox in the box striker.

Had a conversation about Freedman the other day - I think his best days are long (long) behind him and I dont think he is cut out for even this level.

BUT, I did say that if we had a supply line and got the ball in the box, then he *could* score goals at this level as a 'fox in the box' - with the way our team is currently, then he is worthless I'm afraid to say as his legs have gone and he cannot create or hold the ball up with any consistency outside of the box - which is what we need.

This is why I think Revell is vastly under-rated in our side. He is the only player (bar Laurent) that you can bang the ball up to and he will chase and hold it - allowing time for Sawyer/Macca/Laurent/Moussa to come from deep and try and create something.

Its not pretty, but I can see it being effective. If we signed him, I'd like to see us start with Rigters and Revell up top and banish Barney to the bench. His first touch is a tackle...

Fox in the box striker.
Is there any point then in us keeping Barnard &/or Freedman? My view is that both of these are best off close in, as they'll undoubtedly injure themselves by trying to kick it too hard & from too far out. :unsure:

Some interesting views from last night..

For what its worth, I thought Bakayogo had a good first half, but was woefully out of sorts in the second. It was no surprise that all goals came from David Wright exploiting this flank time and time again, once he came on. This may be fitness related as he was puffing. He also gave the ball away for the second goal

For what its worth, I watched the game with an Ipswich fan, who was pretty appalled with the Ipswich display. He concurred we bossed the midfield completely and concedes they wouldnt have scored two goals if we hadnt been down to bare bones defensively, and therein lies our problem

As for Rigters, did ok, against a very solid Ipswich team. I cant see them scoring many, or conceding many next season. He certainly looked more likely to score than any of our front players, and therein lies our other problem.

We look unbalanced at the moment. A glut of brilliantly talented midfielders, but no 20 goal a season man, and no idea of shape at the back. Had we kept Dervite, Clarke and Robinson, I honestly believe we could have gone up. As it stands at the moment, we will probably be exciting to watch in midfield, but will find ourselves constantly losing matches we should probably have won. Could be frustrating, but I am keeping faith in Tilson. We arent far away from a very good side

Had a conversation about Freedman the other day - I think his best days are long (long) behind him and I dont think he is cut out for even this level.
Gives even more credence to our Goat Love! ;)

Although past his best HRH the Goat wouldn't have come to Southend if he didn't think he could "do a job". I think we all agree that he did his bit, both on & off the field, & packed up when he decided that he couldn't contribute. I agree with you in that I think Freedman is well past it & his contribution will be negligible this season. Hope I'm wrong & he turns into the inspiration that Leonard became, but I can't see it personally.

Mildy 7
Did what was asked of him and couldn't do anything about the second goal and couldn't be blame for the first goal either
Francis 7
Did well at right back and showed a big improvement defensively but drifted out of the game at centre back, maybe could have marked better
JFC 7
You wouldn't have guessed straight away that he was out of position and made some great tackles, if he improved his positioning at centre back he could do well there but pushed up too much in the second half leading to the first goal
Adam Barrett 8
Please please please please can his injury not be bad! Held a make shift back four together with an assured performance, few problems with communication but with that back four it's only expected
Bakoyobo 7.5
Worth signing, maybe in rotation with Herd. Looked quick and a good reader of the game and hardly anyone got past him all game but drifted out as the game went on
Laurent 6.5
Probably distract by that dirty cheating scumbag of a number 3 for Ipswich but hardly ever made the right run, he would drift inside or drop short to pick up the ball and not use the gaping hole behind the full back but when he did that **** pushed him in the wall so... But some great skill to beat his man
Macca 7
Some good tackling and some not so good tackling, got stuck in and made a few good passes but didn't stand out
Grant 6.5
Some stupid challenges when at right back but main problem was he didn't look like he knew what he was doing in that position
Moussa 7
Showed glimpses of the player we saw last season but never really got that involved
Barney 7
Chased things down and had the odd good run but needed to get on the end of more crosses
Maceo Reigters 7.5
Definitely worth another look, showed pace and skill and improved as the game went on; was non existent in the first 15 minutes but along with Sawyer our only threat in the last 15 minutes
Subs
Lee Sawyer 8.5
Great performance, would win a challenge in his own half and just run past everyone and knock it out wide when he got 20 yards out, good thinking even when his first touch let him down late on he saw the keeper would stand no chance if he cut it back and did so but Moussa wasn't ready for it
Revs 7
Worried defenders at crosses but didn't really get many touches
O'Keefe 7
Didn't really touch it
Herd 7
Few good balls in from free kicks
Calver 7
Great movement, didn't stop moving for the ball and looked a threat when he got it

Ref 4
Awful, Ipswichs number 3 was dangerous and Grant was getting to the point where he had to calm down.

I would consider signing Bakayogo, he has looked good to me in the Chelmsford/Ipswich games. He got forward and overlapped a couple of times and swung some crosses in, something unfortunately Francis seems scared to do.

Rigters, looked pacey, held it up well, but looks like one of those strikers that needs a constant supply line. Without it, he would be non-existant. So we need to sign a winger who can put the crosses in, or he will be wasted if we sign him.

The defence was all over the place when Adam went off. No surprise really. But shows that we need a couple of bodies in there, at least.

All in all, I thought the midfield was very good. I honestly think it will be one of the strongest in League One. But, we need a winger to feed some crosses in. Up front ok, still think we need a fox in the box though, Rigters could be it, if he gets the service. The defence as we know is the main problem. Bakayogo could be the answer to the left back slot, although I am not 100% convinced just yet. Obviously we need a big commanding centre half or 2 as well.

So, in my opinion, we need the following 4 players.

Winger, who has pace, has the confidence to take on the full backs and whip some crosses in.

Left back.

Big centre half.

Fox in the box striker.

Surely Barnard is the fox in the box type striker?

Thoughts based on last night's match....

Bakayoko looked decent to me; couldn't blame him when Moussa went walkabout and left him two-on-one for their first goal.

Franno will provide CB cover but we need a big strong CB to partner Barratt; two would be even better. Either of the Ipswich pairing would do the job well but that's why they're on CCC wages I guess. Anyway we need Franno at RB as Grant's really only any good as cover for that position.

JFC at CB is something that should be kept for emergencies only. He belongs in CM as our holding player.

Laurent wide right is going to cause the opposition problems galore this season; we'd better learn how to get bodies into the box to get on the end of whatever he decides to chuck in. He'll provide plenty of entertainment too btw.

With the squad we have now Moussa'd better start realising he's going to be wide left this season and learn how to play that position well. He's got tons of ability and can definitely do the job. I hope so as the thought of Betsy as our left winger doesn't exactly cheer me any.

I thought Ritgers did a lot of good stuff and looked to me like a stronger, tougher version of Theo. I'll be interested to see if he can strike up a partnership with Barney although he might have more luck with Revell who'll be a lot happier laying the ball off and trying to slip him through than Barney.

Whoever plays up front is going to find plenty of opportunities this year as long as Sawyer is on the pitch. He is the one player in the squad who can actually read a game. Mind you, his first touch is so good that he gets that second or so more to think about what to do with the ball than most players in this division.

If we can sort out a CB and get JFC back into a CM slot, I think Macca will need to up his game considerably. His passing has become a liability at times, and if he loses the ball, which he seems to do a lot more now, you just know he'll be looking to scythe into somebody in the next 30 seconds or so. I think this league is going to be tough enough for us this year without playing 3 or 4 matches with only 10 men.

I've spoken before about Tilly's weakness when it comes to sticking with players he knows well rather than picking the best 11 possible. We can't afford to do the same this year... If Sawyer is putting Macca to shame like I expect he will, and Tilson continues to favour Macca, then don't expect the supporters not to voice their opinion.

I really hope Tilly doesnt pair Macca with Sawyer in the middle. I'd go for Jeff and Sawyer. Assuming our defence will be as guff as it was last season pre-Dervitte we will need someone to sit in front of the back 4.

Ipswichs firt goal highlighted a mass of problems with our side in 1 move, ball played out of defence down the right, moussa had gone in centre allowing their right back and right winger to a 2v1 v bakoyoko, the cross eventuall y came in and neither JFC or Francis had marked the player on the penalty spot who scored. That to me highlights Left wing, and centre halfs! It was a goal that would be shocking in the sunday league to be honest.

If Tilly aint on the phone today getting a winger, centre half and left back in today then he aint doing his job, i would play Herd at LB but that aint an option for Tilly by the look of it, why only give Herd the last 8 mins in a pre season friendly, in a game that would have done him the world of good experience wise.

SZ crashed for me at about 9.15 last night .......couldn't connect. More difficult getting news out of Roots Hall than getting out of Colditz.
Gleaning what I can from reports I come up with the following. We seem to have the basis of a decent squad and possess a strong midfield. We are very thin on numbers and seriously need additions. Rigters looked as though he could be a decent signing but desperately needs goals to gain confidence. For this reason a move down to the third tier may not be a stupid idea........for him and for us. We could do with a winger but the real problem, as we all know, is at the back. Bakayogo would be better if he could change himself into Juan or even Jean. However central defence is where the need is greatest...........and patience aside,it needs sorting out sooner than later.
Thus, we need to avoid getting too wound up..........especially around the 29th of the month........with a couple of additions and a bit of luck with injuries, we should be able to hold our own in this division.

With Sankofa, Walker, Scannell, Freedman and now Barrett, sidelined with injury and the season not even yet under way..................perhaps this is a bit of wishful thinking.

Can't agree I'm afraid, the best part of Francis' game is getting forward. He's got a great cross on him and more often than not ends up putting in more deliveries during a game than our right midfielder!

Back