• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Semi-Spanish Shrimper

High School Student
Morris - 7 - Sound, with just a shaky moment after a fumble but was rarely tested.

Clohessy - 8 - Keep saying this but how has no other team shown interest in him? He is Mr. Consistent and first on my team sheet.
Philips - 7.5 - Solid, we look so much more comfortable at the back with him.
Barker - 7 - He seems to get a lot of criticism at the moment but he seems solid to me.
Gilbert - 7.5 - Rarely tested, but far far better and probably his best performance of the season.

Martin - 7 - Has class about him and put in some good crosses.
Kalala - 6.5 - Looked like he might get sent off but was solid as usual and had a good shot near the end. Doesn't look like a player who can play a forward pass though.
Ferdinand - 7 - Not his best performance but I think he will be a good player and you have to remember he is only 19.
Timlin - 8 - MOM. Unbelievable energy, good distribution and looked more like the player we had in that amazing run we had.
Mohsni - 6.5 - Unusually quiet performance, but won every header as usual, and he was obviously delighted with his goal. Was often in the wrong position though.

Dickinson - 7 - Had a tough job up top on his own and didn't have the support he needed to do it but worked his socks off as usual. The way we hoofed it to him in the first half made us look like we were the away side.

Hall and Benyon did well when they came on. Think Hall is too good not to be starting really and Benyon looks like a player with quality and hope he gets a goal soon.

A good 3 points against a competent Crewe outfit. A team in form but who we made look ordinary today and hopefully this will now put us on a lenghty run which will ultimately seal our place in the top 3. Handy for Torquay to lose today but lets remember the other sides won and Crawley I think have 3 games on us in hand. A credit to the team today but my motto will always be to not take things for granted.

Although a priceless goal by Mohsni my man of the match is actually Clohessy.

Morris - 7 - Good enough when called into play. The fumble was a difficult one as the ball changed direction considerably. For me, he did well with the initial shot and then the follow up which could easily have gone in.

Clohessy - 8 - As SS said, Mr Consistent. Often beats his man with the ball rather than having to take it around him.

Philips - 7 - Great to have him back. Most of what Phillips does goes unnoticed. Always simple and effective.

Barker - 7 - Better game than of late. Benefit from having Phillips back in the side?

Gilbert - 6.5 - A conundrum: why he is such a good crosser of the ball yet so poor at playing the ball up the line. Perhaps he's just not well suited to the game Sturrock wants him to play and/or our forwards aren't making the right runs. I'd like to score him higher for today but he is still too wasteful with the ball - for whatever reason.

Martin - 8 - Always composed. Like Clohessy, beat his man a number of times with the ball when crossing or with a final touch rather than having to get around him.

Timlin
- 8 - MOM. Here, there and everywhere. Always leading and communicating with the team.

Mohsni - 6.5 - Would've been a 5 but for following up well to get the winner. Strange to find myself typing this but he seemed almost disinterested at times. That may have been due to the solid challenge early on which clearly hurt him, but he also seemed to be generally frustrated at being out of the action on the wing. Difficult to criticise when a player is out of position, but his overall contribution from that position was poor. Drifted inside far too many times when the team's organisation needed him out wide. While it might be sometimes hard to see where to play him, this is surely his least effective position.

Dickinson - 7 - Little in terms of service but ran himself hard throughout the game. Unlucky not to score with one move.

Hall (as sub) - 8 - Good call from Sturrock. Sit him on the bench as his form has waned, then bring him on fired up to make a contribution, as he did with a superbly executed free-kick which took advantage of the gap in the wall and presented the opportunity to Mohsni.

Benyon (as sub) - 7 - Not always an obvious name on the team sheet but he has an intelligence with the ball and changed our approach play considerably when he came on.

Southend United 1 Crewe Alexandra 0

SOUTHEND remained top of the League Two table after an opportunist goal from Bilel Mohsni earned them a narrow win over Crewe Alexandra.
H.19.4

More...

Morris - 7 - Good enough when called into play. The fumble was a difficult one as the ball changed direction considerably. For me, he did well with the initial shot and then the follow up which could easily have gone in.

Clohessy - 8 - As SS said, Mr Consistent. Often beats his man with the ball rather than having to take it around him.

Philips - 7 - Great to have him back. Most of what Phillips does goes unnoticed. Always simple and effective.

Barker - 7 - Better game than of late. Benefit from having Phillips back in the side?

Gilbert - 6.5 - A conundrum: why he is such a good crosser of the ball yet so poor at playing the ball up the line. Perhaps he's just not well suited to the game Sturrock wants him to play and/or our forwards aren't making the right runs. I'd like to score him higher for today but he is still too wasteful with the ball - for whatever reason.

Martin - 8 - Always composed. Like Clohessy, beat his man a number of times with the ball when crossing or with a final touch rather than having to get around him.

Timlin
- 8 - MOM. Here, there and everywhere. Always leading and communicating with the team.

Mohsni - 6.5 - Would've been a 5 but for following up well to get the winner. Strange to find myself typing this but he seemed almost disinterested at times. That may have been due to the solid challenge early on which clearly hurt him, but he also seemed to be generally frustrated at being out of the action on the wing. Difficult to criticise when a player is out of position, but his overall contribution from that position was poor. Drifted inside far too many times when the team's organisation needed him out wide. While it might be sometimes hard to see where to play him, this is surely his least effective position.

Dickinson - 7 - Little in terms of service but ran himself hard throughout the game. Unlucky not to score with one move.

Hall (as sub) - 8 - Good call from Sturrock. Sit him on the bench as his form has waned, then bring him on fired up to make a contribution, as he did with a superbly executed free-kick which took advantage of the gap in the wall and presented the opportunity to Mohsni.

Benyon (as sub) - 7 - Not always an obvious name on the team sheet but he has an intelligence with the ball and changed our approach play considerably when he came on.

Gilbert didn't put a foot wrong today and I thought was very close to MOM.

We were the better team. Difficult conditions, and we really imposed ourselves at the start of the second half. Although we didn't really create many clear cut chances. We had more shots in the first half, most were routin for their keeper.

Morris 7. Didn't have much to do, a shot spilled in the first, but with the conditions did well to react and save the resulting rebounds (2) Got hit in the face with a bobble in the second half.

Clohessey 7. Solid performance with good attacking especially in the second half.

Phillips 7. Solid performance won most that come his way, boy have we missed his influence.

Barker 7. better from the skipper, especially second half when he won everything.

Gilbert 7. Not troubled much defensively, and pushed forward and crossed a few in the second.

Martin 8 MOM has the best touch in the team, controls the ball instantly, and threatens with his runs. Took all the corners in the absence of Hall. Unlucky to be subbed, but I can understand Luggy didn't want two wingers on at the time when were having to knullify their midfield threat, so Martin took one for the team there. Didn't look too happy to be subbed.

Kalala 6.5 Better from him, but picked up a booking, and on another day...

Ferdinand 7. Good first half from Kane, linked up well and got forward when he could.

Timlin 7. Better second half than first. Won the free kick that lead to the goal

Mohnsi 6.5 Quiet game from him. Since he has calmed down it has taken something from his game-still the valium is working!

Dickinson 7. Considering the service this guy doesn't get his overall game is very good. Don't see why the crowd constantly barate him.

Subs; Hall 7. Good free kick that lead to the goal, and, was a threat on the right for much of the second half. We looked better balanced with him on the right. (good half time crossbar challenge too)
Benyon 6.5 If he was quicker he would be quite good. Gets marked down .5 for ducking out of a chance from a corner, when unless he was given a shout should not duck but attack the ball. Thats what strikers do.

Best moment their goalie striking his own centre half, a little row that had been going on since he blamed his central defender for not tracking Mohnsi. Letter of the law should have been red carded.

Not too sure whether it was a free kick that lead to the goal, will need to see it again on the football league show, from my vantage point was unsure, seen them not given...

My first game in over 3 years! I'm well aware that Sturrock is trying to get the team to play a certain style of football but I struggled to see any positive play today. I guess a win is a win. Clohessy was my MOM - the only player who looked to go forward and show some offensive guile and industry. I can see why we have done so well away from home as it is very effective and hard to break down but painfully bad to watch.

I thought Morris was a liability - how hard can it be to catch a ball? 3 times today he managed to fumble. The back four looked solid and midfield too; Kalala does a good job holding, Timlin reasonably creative and energetic with Kane pushing on. I would like to see Hall and Martin on the pitch together, particularly at home. Dickinson did his job well considering how isolated we can make him.

I can't say I feel dejected over a win, but playing in this style certainly does not leave me coming away happy. I like Sturrock but really wish he could install some flair into our play ... I can't believe it is particularly inspiring for the players ...

If we continue like this I guess we have a chance of claiming the last automatic place ... are we any better than Swindon or Crawley? Are we any worse than the other remaining chasers? Probably not.

Martin 8 MOM has the best touch in the team, controls the ball instantly, and threatens with his runs. Took all the corners in the absence of Hall. Unlucky to be subbed, but I can understand Luggy didn't want two wingers on at the time when were having to knullify their midfield threat, so Martin took one for the team there. Didn't look too happy to be subbed.

He was probably subbed because of his injury.

Not too sure whether it was a free kick that lead to the goal, will need to see it again on the football league show, from my vantage point was unsure, seen them not given...

Really seemed to be given by the South Upper's reaction. Mere seconds perhaps, but the ref certainly seemed uninterested before the crowd voiced its collective reaction.

Ok, I know a lot of people were disappointed in the style of play and I know people were frustrated again at the seemingly negative approach of a lone striker at home, BUT, if we can play a full 90 and come out with a result as we did today then I shall be happy. People are always going to question the manager's decisions, myself included but the guy knows what he's doing and what he expects the team to do. Today they mostly did that.

Now, a word about Mr Mohsni. Seemed to me a little off his game in the first half, and certainly seemed to sulk like a schoolboy after the tackle which he felt (justifiably so in my book) should have been given. Ok, so he took a knock, but it took him a good 10 minutes to even show any kind of interest in what was going on. Second half I'm guessing Sturrock had words at half time because he seemed much more inclined to chase, harry and challenge. And please Bilel, stop keep trying these "shots" from the halfway line - just because you came close to scoring once doesn't mean it's always a good idea to keep trying again!

I was deeply disappointed that after a good performance on Monday, Prosser was incapacitated due to flu and Gilbert was back. However, give him his due, apart from the fact he barely made a pass to Martin down the wing in front of him, Gilly did ok.

Liam Dickinson (how sweet was his daughter being a mascot today?!), now, if I seem any criticism of him today then I really will despair. The guy worked his proverbial socks off today, with no-one to play off him until Benyon came on, and even then, still continued to chase everything. Top marks for effort and very unlucky not to score in the 1st half.

Ok, ratings (not done them for a while):
Morris - 7, solid, good punching, and good kicking
Clohessy - 8, if PotS was decided now, he'd win it hands down for me. Solid as a rock and made some great runs down the side
Phillips - 7, the defence is just so much more balanced when he plays
Barker - 7.5, nearly back to his best, very commanding and obviously draws huge comfort from Phillips playing
Gilbert - 7, some good defensive work, and some good crosses, just work on passing down the wing rather than across pitch
Mohsni - 7, and that's based on the 2nd half
Kalala - 8, my MOTM, and from someone who isn't his greatest fan that's an acknowledgement of just how much he broke up today and how influential he was. Timlin fed off him
Timlin - 7.5, huge effort, good command of the midfield
Ferdinand - 6.5, disappointing after Monday but today's game didn't really suit him in this set up
Martin - 7, wasn't given the chance to make the surging runs and crosses down the left and was isolated for a lot of the game
Dickinson - 8, huge effort from the forward, some decent attempts on goal too

Subs:
Hall for Martin - 7, did what was expected and caused some problems - oh and great effort in the half time challenge too!
Benyon for Ferdinand - 7, gave Dicko a target and put some running in against a straggling defence

Officials:
I thought we had a solid performance from the officials today, very little to criticise and particularly liked the way the ref called play back for a free kick a couple of times when advantage was clearly not taken.

Excellent win and three points!

The last time we beat Gillingham am I write in saying we went on a 17 game unbeaten run including that game! We have now beat them Again and won again today and have 15 games left!

A nice bit of symmetry for the last 15 games!

This is exactly how you get promoted, keep picking up wins no matter how you play! Its what man united do year in year out!

I don't want to compare us to united though, I wouldn't want to do that, because we are better than that!

Well done boys! Another win and keeping us at the top again!

Why can't we win the league, again?

Scrappy game, nothing pretty but shut out Crewe for pretty much the whole game except a shot or two. Had 2 shots cleared off the line and Mohsni had he controlled back post would almost certainly have scored.

Clohessy was a touch above today and MOTM for me, Dickinson was fantastic doing everything asked of him, Martin played well as did Phillips and Hall was a threat when he came on. Don't get me wrong, we were far from exciting but we got the 3 points and there were some effective performances around the pitch.

Morris 7.5 - Did everything asked of him including a good double save.
Clohessy - 8 - My MOTM - was excellent both defensively and going forward, definitely a player we need to hold on to.
Phillips - 7.5 - Quality again from Mr dependable, look good defensively when he's in the side.
Barker - 7 - Played well alongside Phillips, swept up well when required.
Gilbert - 6.5 - Nothing much to deal with, prefer Prosser for me.
Kalala - 7 - Dependable as usual. Effective, did his job.
Timlin - 7 - Nothing spectacular but kept the ball moving.
Mohsni - 7 - Decent first half, absent most of second but great following up on Halls freekick for his goal.
Martin - 7 - I like the look of the lad. Old fashioned winger, nothing fancy but defended well and did well going forward.
Ferdinand - 7 - Good chasing going forward and did his job.
Dickinson - 7.5 - Second only to Clohessy, did everything asked, held the ball up very well. Almost scored with a great swivel & volley (cleared off the line). Not sure what more you can ask from the lad.

subs:
Hall - 7 - Quality on the ball linking up play but didn't create anything in his 20 odd minute appearance
Benyon - Very good at trapping the ball back to goal and laying it off. Chased well. A few more sub appearances like that will do him no harm.

Sturrock - 7.5 - Good timely subs for me and kept Crewe out of the game.

Its what man united do year in year out!

I don't want to compare us to united though, I wouldn't want to do that, because we are better than that!

This. :smile:

...Gilbert was back. However, give him his due, apart from the fact he barely made a pass to Martin down the wing in front of him, Gilly did ok.

But not this. :nope:

Liam Dickinson (how sweet was his daughter being a mascot today?!), now, if I seem any criticism of him today then I really will despair. The guy worked his proverbial socks off today, with no-one to play off him until Benyon came on, and even then, still continued to chase everything. Top marks for effort and very unlucky not to score in the 1st half.

Spot. On. I think some people fail to see the bigger picture with regards to strikers playing up front on their own, not all forwards can do it. Dicko has learnt how to do it and is doing it well IMHO. It takes a lot of effort throughout every game and no-one can accuse Dicko of not putting real shifts in, especially today and also at Gillingham. I believe (don't quote me on it) that he is still due to have surgery on his ankle in the summer which makes his performances all the more remarkable. Keep it up Dicko! :thumbsup:

Back