• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another dreadful game, yes we got the right result and worked very hard but our quality in the final third was absent. Sturrock needs to work out his best team at home, the one that started today is good for away games but you need more at home. Two strikers for me at home, unfortunately neither Benyon, Harris or Sampson have scored in 2012 and all 3 look short of any confidence. Dicko has led the line well but he needs more support, today we put some good balls in but often there was no one attacking them. Moshni once again stood out as the best footballer in our team. Martin did ok, Hall still looks a way off his best but pleased with the clean sheet, albeit against a woeful Crewe side. Phillips and Clohessy have been outstanding all season and were again today.

Crewe offered nothing to the match until they went behind, another season in this awful division will see me join the Samaritans full time.

As a consequence of Crewe's lack of ambition we largely lacked the guile to break them down, at least Sturrock had the nousto change the fomation and get two up front. Great free kick from Hall and equally good anticipationby Mohsni. But despiteall that possession we didn't ceate any clear cut chancesin the box. As others have said the ever improving Clohessy was very good going foward and he also put in a couple of terrific tackles in the first half.

Another3 points in the bag.

Bilel Mohsni gave League Two leaders Southend a narrow victory over Crewe.
The Blues looked threatening early on, with leading scorer Liam Dickinson firing two shots narrowly wide.
Southend took the lead through Mohsni's close-range effort after Crewe goalkeeper Glenn Morris could only parry Ryan Hall's free kick.
Mohsni almost added a second but his shot was blocked by Matt Tootle as the home side maintained their position at the top of the league.
dont you just love bbc reporting

Thought it was a good solid performance with all the players showing the right commitment which was lacking in the last couple of home matches. Well done lads keep it up ....and get us out of this dire division

Morris...7 Didn't have much to do. It could have been a much different game, but the treble save in the first half.
Clohessy...8 My MOTM. Good tackling, goal-line clearances and a constant threat going forward.
Philips...7.5 Solid. Makes the right decisions.
Barker...7 Much better with Phillips beside him. Good display
Gilbert...6.5 OK. Did a fair job defensively and a couple of nice crosses
Martin...7 Gets better and better. A really good signing.
Kalala...7 Gave the ball away a few times but he is such an asset when he breaks up their playi
Ferdinand...7 Kept playing backwards but tidy game. Didn't deserve to be taken off, but tactically, it had to be him.
Timlin...7 Much better performance in the centre. Fantastic workrate.
Mohsni...6.5 Lost interest for a while when he got a knock, but played some tidy football. Always a threat.
Dickinson...7.5 Good again. Worked very hard on his own. This role seems to get the best out of him. a
Subs : Hall...7 Looked eager to impress. Nice free-kick for the goal. Benyon 6.5 Not on long, but grafted to the end

Not going to give ratings, as I felt all the players did well (even the subs); though it wasn't a perfect performance, I believe we dominated the game and deserved the win.

However special mention to the crowd, the atmosphere in the second half was the best I'd seen for a while (though there was still the odd stupid moan!!) and it did seem to make a difference to the players urgency; not sure if that was just a coincidence though :smile: but we do make a difference when we lay off the players, so let that continue please

Scrappy game, nothing pretty but shut out Crewe for pretty much the whole game except a shot or two. Had 2 shots cleared off the line and Mohsni had he controlled back post would almost certainly have scored.

Clohessy was a touch above today and MOTM for me, Dickinson was fantastic doing everything asked of him, Martin played well as did Phillips and Hall was a threat when he came on. Don't get me wrong, we were far from exciting but we got the 3 points and there were some effective performances around the pitch.

Morris 7.5 - Did everything asked of him including a good double save.
Clohessy - 8 - My MOTM - was excellent both defensively and going forward, definitely a player we need to hold on to.
Phillips - 7.5 - Quality again from Mr dependable, look good defensively when he's in the side.
Barker - 7 - Played well alongside Phillips, swept up well when required.
Gilbert - 6.5 - Nothing much to deal with, prefer Prosser for me.
Kalala - 7 - Dependable as usual. Effective, did his job.
Timlin - 7 - Nothing spectacular but kept the ball moving.
Mohsni - 7 - Decent first half, absent most of second but great following up on Halls freekick for his goal.
Martin - 7 - I like the look of the lad. Old fashioned winger, nothing fancy but defended well and did well going forward.
Ferdinand - 7 - Good chasing going forward and did his job.
Dickinson - 7.5 - Second only to Clohessy, did everything asked, held the ball up very well. Almost scored with a great swivel & volley (cleared off the line). Not sure what more you can ask from the lad.

subs:
Hall - 7 - Quality on the ball linking up play but didn't create anything in his 20 odd minute appearance
Benyon - Very good at trapping the ball back to goal and laying it off. Chased well. A few more sub appearances like that will do him no harm.

Sturrock - 7.5 - Good timely subs for me and kept Crewe out of the game.

Agree with all the above, except the bit about Gilbert. Thought the lad did well yesterday - 7 from me.
Clohessey MOM and my vote for Player of the Season as things stand!

Agree with all the above, except the bit about Gilbert. Thought the lad did well yesterday - 7 from me.
Clohessey MOM and my vote for Player of the Season as things stand!

People won't give Gilbert valid marks for fear they'd be castigated by the "in" crowd

A solid and competent professional performance, just what was needed at this stage, three points and a clean sheet. No we did not look like tearing them apart but I will take these home performances, combined with our current away form where we get more room.

Morris 7 - Not much to do, one scare with parried shot, otherwise good
Clohessy 8 - MOTM, combined his usual attacking flair with some great defensive tackles
Phillips 7.5 - No coincidence our return to winning ways and more solid at the back is due to his return
Barker 7 - Getting back to the level of performance we expect
Gilbert 7 - Did nothing wrong, had a tough task with Powell their tricky winger
Mohsni 7 - Not his best game, but still in the right place for the goal, wanted Bilel to attack the crosses but was always at the back with the cross falling short.
Kalala 7 - Solid game, passing was better as well
Timlin 7 - Got through a lot of work, forward forays a bit inhibited with this system
Martin 7 - Got a good 60 mins from him seeing as allegedly was not 100% fit.
Ferdinand 6.5 - Not quite as effective as Monday, but gave his all
Dickinson 7.5 - Hold up play better, got through a lot of work, was isolated at times.

Hall 6 - Good early substitutions, not quite as sharp as when at his best
Benyon 6 - Desperately needs a goal to get his Blues career going

Well done Blues, sorely needed three home points, now got a run of three away games. It is so tight at the top wins are needed to keep the pack at bay, especially when they play their games in hand. Top three has got to be the aim, play-offs will not be failure but only 25% chance of success from them.

Morris - 6 - Flapped a bit
Clohessy - 8- almost MOM
Gilbert - 6 - did basic stuff OK but still out of position a few times
Barker - 6 OK
Phillips - 8 - superb
Timlin - 7
Kalalalalala - 6 very rarely passed to our players
Martin - 6 didnt notice him
Mohsni - 7 - seemed a bit off, but still got the rebound
Ferdinand - 6- bit off the pace, not much support for Dicko
Dickinson - 8 MOM - led the line, always battled.

Back