• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-0 Fleetwood Town

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
A very welcome 3 points at last in what I would say was another game we were on top for a great deal of it and could have scored more.

Just happy for 3 points and even happier Coxy scored. He might not score as regular as we'd all like, but he is by far one of our better players

Who was calling for Cox to be dropped - best player on the field by a mile

Just happy for 3 points and even happier Coxy scored. He might not score as regular as we'd all like, but he is by far one of our better players

Agreed and he was my MOTM. Only player we have that has true class IMHO

What a boring game but three points, woo! Hard to believe that this was the same Fleetwood team which were unbeaten in eight as they were really poor. We weren't particularly great, but as usual dominated the first half without ever really threatening. Second half we faded, as usual again, but took our chance when we got lucky.

Fleetwood were poor and looked even less threatening than us. We seemed to stifle them fairly well and our defence looked far less error prone than they have in recent weeks, wonder if having the three has eased the nerves.

We didn't seem to have much a game plan and the wing-back system was strange as we just seemed to surpass them completely by hoofing the ball either wide for Robinson to chase or to Hopper's head. There was very little service for the forwards and it looked a bit desperate, but after the goal we settled a little more and began to get the ball down.

Well held out and well done to the defence, a clean sheet after conceding in the last four games in all competitions.

Stockdale 6 Didn't have much to do, did it well when needed other than the bizarre punch.
White 7 Looked strong, reliable and comfortable.
Turner 7 As above.
Moore 8 Probably the pick of the defence, just. Looked composed and very impressive.
Demetriou 7 Got forward well and tracked back well, was responsible with when he went forward and when he dropped back too.
Mantom 6 Still doesn't look 100% to me, he was quiet and ineffective for the most part.
Dieng 9 Brilliant display, completely dominated the midfield from start to finish. The Leonard replacement we needed.
Coker 7 Good technique and reliable on the left.
Cox 7 Not sure his role was very clear in the middle, he put himself about and looked to bring others into play. Scored the goal.
Robinson 6 Not his fault as he spent most of the game chasing balls hoofed out wide.
Hopper 7 Got stuck in and tried to win every header, not great service nor any great chances.

Subs
Klass 7 Very promising, some good technique.
McCoulsky - Must get more frustrated with every passing week.

Great to get three points on the board. With players coming back from injury now too, let's hope that this is the spring board to really get the confidence flowing and get performances improving and climb up the table.

SIMON Cox fired Southend United back to winning ways with the only goal of the game in a 1-0 victory against Fleetwood Town this afternoon.

More...

Good team performance. Cox looked good sitting just behind the front two. Taylor Moore looked assured in defence, played the ball out well and his positioning was good. The best player by far for us was Bolger. Finally we benefit from his lapse of concentration

Great to get three points , but in truth it was mediocre against poor.
All our players worked hard though and the system seemed to suit.
Dieng mom for me , especially defensively.
Quite where we fit Kightly , Bunn and McLaughlin in ??
Still think Theo is weak link IMO

Great to get three points , but in truth it was mediocre against poor.
All our players worked hard though and the system seemed to suit.
Dieng mom for me , especially defensively.
Quite where we fit Kightly , Bunn and McLaughlin in ??
Still think Theo is weak link IMO
don't forget Yearwood too.

Watched the game on I Follow.
And I said the game we won over Bristol Rovers was winning ugly? Well this was perhaps three times uglier!
Fleetwood unbeaten since the first week of the season? They looked very ordinary and unambitious albeit direct and physical. I was expecting more from them.
We changed our formation and I thought it did help the defence. JD looks better as a wing back than a full back while Turner and White looked less jittery with Moore alongside them. His pace appeared to give them both confidence. Without our two wingers we looked a little toothless at times but this formation seem to give us more defensive solidity.
I suspect some of our tentativeness could be directly attributable the our recent poor run at home but we did grow into the game as time passed.
Our goal was a result of ex Blues defender Bolger dwelling on a ball thrown to him by his goalkeeper, and, when seemingly nothing was on he then had his pocket picked by Theo. He took the ball to the bye line and rolled it to Cox who only had to put in an open goal, which he managed to do despite having almost seeming to have second thoughts about scoring. Exactly the type of goal we have been conceding recently.
A win is a win ia a win and we will take it and we needed it.
Ratings:
Stockdale: 6. Never really tested but was competent enough in dealing with what came his way.
JD: 6.5. Some good touches and looked more comfortable in his more advanced position. A decent outing.
White: 6. Usual uncompromising no frills display. Solid.
Turner: 6.5. Looked much better than his last outing against Peterborough. An asset in the air.
Moore: 7. Has pace reads the game well and is comfortable on the ball. Would have been an 8 save for a couple of brain farts which unnecessarily placed us under pressure. Once he rids himself of these erratic moments he will be a very fine player.
Coker: 7. I thought he had a decent game and often combined well with Moore. In the second half a Theo Robinson touch robbed him of what would have been an excellent shooting chance; had that gone in a higher mark would have been forthcoming.
Mantom: 6.5. Looked to be moving better. Not his best game for us but he was still good value.
Dieng: 8. Was constantly involved especially in the second half. I have always thought that his best position should be defensive midfield playing in front of the back four and that seemed to be the role he took on in the second half. Assured on the ball, some booming headers and timely clearances while he also found time to fully test their goalkeeper with a shot from distance in the first half.
Cox: 6.5. As always ran all day, got himself involved and was another who seemed to benefit from the change of system. The ball has not always broken for him this season but it did when Theo set him up for his tap in.
Theo: 6. Pros: Speed, directness and great work ethic. Cons: Poor control and a relatively low football I.Q. Result: A player who for all his shortcomings, can often make things happen. And so it was today when he chased down a lost cause, picked Bolger's pocket and set up a goal from seemingly nowhere. Often unappreciated and I am as guilty of this as anyone.
Hopper: 6. Took another battering as he was often left up front alone, and, as always seems to be the case in this division, his marker took no prisoners. Not for the first time he received little help from the officials but he did get through a huge amount of work. Much of what he does is not glamorous but really helps out his teammates
Subs: Klass: 7. I thought a great cameo for almost twenty minutes. He really looked the part and used the ball well.
Mc Coulsky: Not on long enough to secure a rating but he did run all over the place the short time he was on.
A much needed three points and it is good to be smiling again.

I will give credit to CP for playing a formation that ensured that we had strength at centre back positions and so looked ok when dealing with set pieces and the physical approach of The Cod. Also we didn't need regular full backs as Fleetwood had little width. Maybe some good opposition scout work?
We looked like we had a plan and stuck to it in an attritional game that we could have had won by half time but Mantom made a mess of a gift chance from the go's mistake and Hopper didn't get what to me looked a nailed on pen.
Our goal showed what pressing and pace can earn on a slick pitch.
No Shrimper had a poor game.
I wish we would not try and take it in the corner/time waste in the last 10 minutes when the best defense is possession and scoring!
Poor ref, but equally poor for red and blue.

Last edited:
The most encouraging thing today apart from the three points was the defensive display, Fleetwood had plenty of corners but we dealt with them really well. The system using wing backs should be kept for the next game, much better than playing with wingers who are often not particularly good defensively. A much better afternoon.

Couldn’t make this game but excellent 3points, roll on oxford and col u away as I’m on them two games.

CHRIS Powell was a relieved man after seeing his Southend United side get back to winning ways against Fleetwood Town this afternoon.

More...

Back