• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Straker looked like he was really enjoying himself this afternoon and was def my man of the match just ahead of Fred who just about covered every blade of grass in the Plymouth half untill he understandably tired later on. So nice as well to hear the crowd singing Strakers name which must do his confidence the world of good.

I was impressed with Straker today -- his runs and passes were much better than last season.

He seemed to relish the short passes and looked a completely different player.

Properly enjoyed today. I have a lot of respect for Sturrock but did lose the buzz of games that I had under Tilson. Even in the relegation season from league 1, we still tried to play football and the fight was there which made me buzz for every game. This had slightly gone the last few years and even though I was buzzing for the new season, the boys done us proud today

Best opening game for many seasons. Played some lovely passing football and the fitness and work rate was fantastic. On that evidence, I would urge any part time supporters to get down to the hall asap. Very entertaining.

Bentley, 7...Not much to do. Looked confident

White, 7...Tidy
Coker 8...Had a very good game. Combined well with Straker
Phillips 7.5...Looks fitter. Reads the game so well.
Prosser 7...Played well.
Laird 7.5...Worked his buns off.
Leonard 8...My MOTM Bossed the centre of the park with Laird. Tired passes at the end, but an all action display from Lenny.
Atkinson 7.5... Like the look of this guy. Works hard and does the simple things well.
Straker 7.5.., Best game in Blues shirt. Gave the ball away a few times, but was a real threat with his pace. Nice hearing his chant when he did well.
Fred 7.5...Getting back to his old self. His control and reading of the game were first class.
BBBC 7.5...Always a threat. Will score a lot of goals this season.

Subs. Reid 6.5...Not overly impressed, but it's early days
Clifford..Not on long

Ref 8. Thought he did ok. Tried to let the game flow.

A half decent afternoon, I don't disagree with much that has already been written (bar the numpty who marked Straker a 4).

I was a few seats away from the dug out, and the difference in the two managers was an interesting watch. Brown was up and down, shouting, encouraging. Everything was positive.

Sheridan on the other hand managed "don't ****ing lose it", "don't ****ing stand there" and "just ****ing pass it".

Brown's certainly got "something" about him.

Sheridan on the other hand managed "don't ****ing lose it", "don't ****ing stand there" and "just ****ing pass it".

Indeed before Wotton was injured he was giving Sheridan some verbals back. Not really that constructive I thought by them..

Plymouth were disappointing. I thought their huge travelling support deserved better than that.

Great 100% effort and commitment from all of Mr Browns Boys . First time for ages the play was on the floor really showed what we have been missing,so much more enjoyable to watch than hoofball

I cant find fault with one player today. White looks a more than adequate replacement for SC, very composed. Coker is full of industry as well as having decent defending abilities. Atkinson was a bit quiet for me, but I saw him at Braintree & Im sure he's going to be a threat. Straker is reborn at LM & pleased about that as I think he's a decent, honest player.

All in all very positive, want to see a bit more of Clifford though, he was excellent against QPR

And a first day crowd of over 7000.. When did that last happen?
2009/10 V Huddersfield crowd was 8,059 that was League 1.
But not had an opening day crowd in League 2 over 7,000 since 2001/2 season when we played Brighton the crowd was 7,492.

I noticed that today's Portsmouth v Oxford crowd of 18,000 was quoted as a League 2 record crowd. Now I still think of League 2 as Division 4 or level/tier 4 of English football and I'm pretty sure there have been higher crowds than 18,000 since we have had 4 Divisions?
Just had a quick look and I think the highest ever Div 4 crowd is 37,774 between Crystal Palace and Millwall in 1960/1 season. So they must base today's Portsmouth crowd just since it has been called League 2. Hate records like that bit like all these 'Premier League' records ignore all previous top level records.

Talking of crowds anyone know where I can get a full list of today's crowds? The BBC website seem to just show the score and a very short match report. Does not even give you a list of the 2 teams. Pretty sure it was better than that last season, must be the cutbacks. Looks like BBC are only showing more detailed reports & stats for Championship games. No crowds on the official site either, as they seem to take the same feed for stats. I hope it's just a glitch.

The Football League official site is even worse they have not even got today's League 2 results shown yet.

Last edited:
What can one say, I am a fan of PS but today was a pleasure to watch again as a Southend fan. Work rate was top class and fitness I've never seen before for a long time. It's not going to be an easy season with the Tuesday nights playing on a cold frozen pitch so we need to mix it up a bit. What I can say is we have a manager who likes to play football (got his own squad now) so hats off to the manager. Respect to the man and when he came on and applauded everyone gets my respect..... Seems like he has something here. Watch this space.

Early days but it's great to win the first game of the season. It would be great to make R H a horrible place to come to if your an away team to get a result.

Way back in the i think 50s when Alex Stepney was in goal for Millwall and they were top of the league . They played SUFC under lights at Roots HALL ,there were no seats at either end in those days ,the ground was packed to the hilt , definitely looked more than 18000 then , SUFC lost that game 3-1, but was a pleasure to be there.

IIRC we held the largest 'most recent record attendance' (v Liverpool in the Cup) until Southampton moved to St Mary's. Always great to win the first game of the season, but no one has mentioned how poor Plymouth were today - comments ?

Interesting that claim of a record crowd being 18000, I haven't checked but I'm sure we had over 18000 for some of the games against Watford in Div 4 back in the late 70's.
Yep the Watford Div 4 away crowd in 1978 was nearly 19,000. They must have based the Portsmouth 18,000 record crowd only since level 4 football was renamed League 2 which I think was 2004/5 season.

I sit in the west stand and prefer it when TBV aren't in the north stand. The atmosphere was great today.

Back