• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Bristol Rovers

We had 3 shots on target. That's one every 30 minutes which is dire. We're 3 points away from the relegation zone.
Just hope someone wakes up and realises how poor things really are.
We can no longer use injuries as an excuse.
We're only a few matches away from panic mode.

Think you need some math lessons :)

You just don't like Powell, much like I didn't like Brown. Difference being Brown has virtually a whole squad to choose from. Powell has just over half a squad to choose from

It’s only Elvis and Yearwood from today’s starting line up who weren’t signed by Powell or given a new deal by Powell last summer. I’m not having that this isn’t his side

If they’re not good enough, don’t sign them

Powell might be a name here from back in the early 90’s as a player but younger fans aren’t gonna know him. He has no name for himself as a manager

You just don't like Powell, much like I didn't like Brown. Difference being Brown has virtually a whole squad to choose from. Powell has just over half a squad to choose from
I just a manager on merit.

CP played 532 last week vs top and it was ****.
CP then chooses to play 5 at the back vs 23rd in the league at home

16 home games, 9 losses and we still have Portsmouth Barnsley and Sunderland at home to play.

We will finish the season with a Loss rate at home of more than 50%. Shambolic

What's that coming over the hill....relegation. Total shambles of a performance, if we were looking for a reaction to last week's poor show we certainly got it.Falling gates, terrible atmosphere and a clueless manager whos motivation and tactics leave many people as confused as the players who look like 11 individuals

.......Powell is taking the players he has got left rapidly backwards....Dieng going backwards, Mantom backwashes, Yearwood backwards, Turner backwards, Oxley backwards, Macca backwards, Kightly backwards etc. etc.....the bloke ain’t got a clue and how you can keep a positive on the way we’re playing now is unbelievable. Every team we play look like Man City and we look like a bottom league 2 side....this is gonna get worse and worse with Mr. Unmotivater in charge!

Please please please please never ever ever play 3 at the back with wingbacks ever ever ever ever ever again with the players we currently have available. Please.

Another concern, having lost a player as the transfer window closed and a dozen queuing for the treatment table is there are players who pick themselves - and they know it.
It means being on your toes in training and games is not a given.
I know the formation is de rigueur the main discussion - but how much do Southend players currently want it?
Who was busting a gut today? How long did the impetus of 4-4-2 last?
This motivation thing everybody talks about: what does Powell say to players to make them want it more? 'You're out the door unless you perform'? 'Come on you know you can do better'? I would genuinely like to see if anyone out there has ideas.

I still can't really come round to put my thoughts down on the game today but I will add that I feel genuinely sorry for Turner. The guy is absolutely done by the looks of it. There was one point where he looked to slap himself as if to say "what the **** am I doing". Age has caught him up this season big time

Dear Andrew

Sorry I made you think this season would be different, I promised you shots and crosses, I also made it quite clear we were gunning for promotion. I lead you on and made you believe in something that I don't have the ability to do. Im sorry I have seriously underestimated the job im also sorry I have made some shocking decisions (not know my captain amongst all the players I signed and re signed was probably an indication i'm a little out of my depth) Once again andrew through all the hype, ive proper mugged myself on this occasion..

Love Chris

Turgid and clueless. You can say “tactics don’t win games, players do” as much as you like but starting with that formation and mentality, having been **** last week with the same, is unbelieveably poor. If you want to use a 352 or 532 or whatever then put it back into the ****ing box until you have the players to fit it - that means waiting for Demi and Coker to come back and for a whole new midfield to be acquired, because those playing in those positions today are incapable of doing so in that formation.

Speed (of movement AND thought) and positioning in central defence atrocious; Yearwood woefully off form and probably in need of a stint back in the U23s; Dieng lazy; Hart and Bwomono just not good enough; Cox and Humphrys feeding off absolute scraps; too slow in our build-up play; no intelligent movement off the ball; continual lumping it forward; only going sideways and backwards when we DO get it on the deck.

I want CP to succeed. I like him a lot. But we’re past the point where we can keep blaming injuries for his tactical errors and our home form, and I’m beginning to lose patience. Big, big, BIG changes needed in team selection, tactics and mentality or we will undoubtedly be dragged into a relegation fight.

Another concern, having lost a player as the transfer window closed and a dozen queuing for the treatment table is there are players who pick themselves - and they know it.
It means being on your toes in training and games is not a given.
I know the formation is de rigueur the main discussion - but how much do Southend players currently want it?
Who was busting a gut today? How long did the impetus of 4-4-2 last?
This motivation thing everybody talks about: what does Powell say to players to make them want it more? 'You're out the door unless you perform'? 'Come on you know you can do better'? I would genuinely like to see if anyone out there has ideas.
Always remember Peter Butler talking about Webby taking over the season we were relegated before bouncing back.He said that he immediately knew the players in the dressing room who were going through the motions and not giving 100% every game and they were gone

Shambles on the pitch
Shambles in the transfer market
Shambles all around the club at the moment

Me and my mate were trying to think of a time that we had a less combative and effective midfield than the current one... any suggestions? I’ll leave Dru out of it (for now) but Dieng and Mantom??? Jeez... absolutely pathetic. The ball drops in midfield time and time again and they just stand and watch the opposition bring it down, turn and play a pass completely unopposed. If we want to stay up this year we need someone in there to roll his sleeves up, get some urgency and fight. At the moment, I would keep about 3 maybe 4 players at the club from those that played today

Bishop made some fantastic saves in the first half to prevent it being worse.

Defence a shambles with the exception of Moore who was the only one in the first half that seem to want to do something. Drove forward a few times and created problems. The one advantage of 5 at the back. The full backs didn’t push forward at all and Hart kept leaving the wide man free even when in a 5.

Midfield - I don’t think we had one. Simply unacceptable.

Forward line worked hard but no service.

Subs - they made a difference even if not in terms of goals or result. Kightly offered some creativity but Macca wasn’t used enough to cause any danger.

Back