• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just didn't show up in the first half. For a side to find themselves 2-0 down inside five minutes on the back of two determined away wins must be gut wrenching, and it showed as the team just couldn't piece anything together in the first half. Our defensive shape went awry and Coughlan and Barker were chasing the same man, which directly created the chance for their second.

Evans will have to accept responsibility for both goals. The first, from where I was sat, was a routine save that Evans made a pig's ear of and the second went right through his grasp, although definitely not helped by those in front of him. Personally, I thought it was incredibly harsh on Ferdinand to be subbed off so early on, as he actually looked one of our tidiest players in the opening exchanges. I would've preferred Coughy to make way, with Ferdinand dropping back into his natural position as Cheltenham didn't have a boisterous centre-forward, but I appreciate Sturrock wanting to keep a "leader" on the pitch for the squad to battle back.

Second half was much better, with the midfield being driven forward by Grant and we looked a lot more threatening with Comminges on the right, allowing Clohessy to run further forward and get the delivery in. Dropping Comminges into that right-sided role could prove to be an astute signing, as he looked to divert attention away from Clohessy allowing the cross, rather than taking the ball and driving into a dead end like Soares. Hall was largely inconsistent, some great deliveries (including one for our goal) and some absolute pies. He's quick and tricky, yet you wouldn't believe it as he doesn't either... and He needs to develop some self belief and start attacking his full-back.

Speaking of full-backs, I understand Herd had a good(ish) game against Oxford, well today he was pretty much useless. Failed to stop the winger getting his cross in on each occasion he was actually tested, his decision making is still poor (half-arsed closing down of a player without fully committing, allowing the winger to skip past him) and his distribution was awful... Failing to meet a blue shirt with just about every forward pass. He's learnt from Gilbert how to be a hoofball merchant, except he's worse.

Up top, Sturrock was not at the races. He looked tired to me and was a yard short of where he has been for us in the past, producing some tired efforts towards goal... Things weren't coming off for him and he probably should have made way at half time, but that's not to say he deserves the level of abuse from the stands. It's nothing short of a disgraceful and those responsible should be ashamed of themselves. You're not supporters. Pato looked sharp and like he actually wanted it, but he still lacks basic qualities to have an impact. Him and Corr have been at the same club for several months now, so why can't Pato read a single lay-off from Corr? If he could, he might have found himself in a goalscoring position.

Corr was terrific from the start. He won the vast majority of headers, forced two fantastic saves out of the 'keeper and and was a general thorn in the opposition's side. Deserved his goal and probably deserved another. I'll stick my neck on the line and say he's probably one of the best centre-forwards in the division on this form.

Ratings -

Evans - 4 - Not marked down just for his two howlers, but his kicking was horrendous.
Clohessy - 7 - Solid enough from the lad and looked to get forward in search of an equaliser
Coughlan - 5 - Looked well off the pace initially.
Barker - 7 - Calming influence, class throughout other than one lapse.
Herd - 4 - We're playing in blue, Johnny.
Soares - 5 - Few good runs, lacked any consistent threat
Ferdinand - 6 - Didn't deserve to be hauled off... Played one delightful ball over the top to Sturrock who was flagged, but he wasn't offside.
Easton - 6 - Tried to keep things ticking over
Hall - 6 - Inconsistent.
Sturrock - 5 - Not at the races today
Corr - MOTM 8 - Brilliant display... If others learnt to read off his knock-ons we could've pipped Cheltenham today.

Subs

Grant - 7 - Solid second half performance, engine in midfield and turned his marker on a number of occasions.
Comminges - 6 - Had a good enough impact to warrant inclusion on Saturday.
Pato - 6 - Looked like he wanted it, needs to read Corr's knock-ons to be truly effective.

Clearly,we weren't watching the same game(or certainly not seeing the same things).
I thought Herd was excellent throughout and Sturrock played reasonably well.Needless to say I don't share your high opinion of Corr.
BTW,Timlin is a much better player than Easton,who wasn't capable of getting us back in the game(he left that to Grant) .Agree with you about Barker but not as regards Clohessy(who had a relatively poor game) or Coughlan,who was better than you suggest.

Clearly,we weren't watching the same game(or certainly not seeing the same things).
I thought Herd was excellent throughout and Sturrock played reasonably well.Needless to say I don't share your high opinion of Corr.
BTW,Timlin is a much better player than Easton,who wasn't capable of getting us back in the game(he left that to Grant) .Agree with you about Barker but not as regards Clohessy(who had a relatively poor game) or Coughlan,who was better than you suggest.

For me Easton is a nothing player and is part of the problem not the solution.

I'd hazard a guess that we were watching the same game, it's just that we have different opinions, or are prepared to take different opinions on specific players. I like passes to reach players on the same team, rather than the opposition, which is why I criticised Herd for his poor distribution. I prefer my full-backs to stop the crosses coming in, rather than watch them sail into the box, which is why I have a problem with Herd allowing a number of crosses to drift into the box.

Given the fact that, in a match ratings thread that has hugely varied results in comparison to the usual correlation, Corr appears to be one of the only players who has managed a consistently high mark, I'd suggest that it's your own stubborness that's masking your judgement of the player.

I'd hazard a guess that we were watching the same game, it's just that we have different opinions, or are prepared to take different opinions on specific players. I like passes to reach players on the same team, rather than the opposition, which is why I criticised Herd for his poor distribution. I prefer my full-backs to stop the crosses coming in, rather than watch them sail into the box, which is why I have a problem with Herd allowing a number of crosses to drift into the box.

Given the fact that, in a match ratings thread that has hugely varied results in comparison to the usual correlation, Corr appears to be one of the only players who has managed a consistently high mark, I'd suggest that it's your own stubborness that's masking your judgement of the player.

I didn't say I thought Corr played badly(he didn't).Just that I didn't share your high opinion (and 9 rating)of him.

As a former full back myself, I find some of your comments about Herd to be way off the mark.You must have seen that Barker clearly covered for him in the air,(with Herd switching inside)whenever we were pushing up, to try and get back in the game.Herd's distribution is NOT poor.He was trying to play ambitious,creative balls at a time when we clearly needed something of that sort to get anything from the game.There's no point in playing the ball to feet everytime when you're 0-2 down.2-0 up,fine.
We all like to see tiki taka passing but only Bar$a(and Spain) are really up to that.:winking:

Last edited:
I didn't say I thought Corr played badly(he didn't).Just that I didn't share your high opinion (and 9 rating)of him.

As a former full back myself, I find some of your comments about Herd to be way off the mark.You must have seen that Barker clearly covered for him in the air,(with Herd switching inside)whenever we were pushing up, to try and get back in the game.Herd's distribution is NOTpoor.He was trying to play ambitious,creative balls at a time when we clearly needed something of that sort to get anything from the game.There's no point in playing the ball to feet everytime when you're 0-2 down.2-0 up,fine.

I gave Corr an 8.

You're right. He was trying to play ambitious balls at a time when we needed some creativity... It's just he was playing balls that required far more ability than he has, and they often ended up floating aimlessly to opposition feet. Equally, when we're chasing the game, the very last thing we should be doing is given the ball away, particularly when the opposition are expressing such an interest in wasting time.

Perhaps we should be giving you a crack, you know, as a former full-back yourself.

Last edited:

As a former full back myself, I find some of your comments about Herd to be way off the mark.You must have seen that Barker clearly covered for him in the air,(with Herd switching inside)whenever we were pushing up, to try and get back in the game.Herd's distribution is NOT poor.He was trying to play ambitious,creative balls at a time when we clearly needed something of that sort to get anything from the game.There's no point in playing the ball to feet everytime when you're 0-2 down.2-0 up,fine.
We all like to see tiki taka passing but only Bar$a(and Spain) are really up to that.:winking:

I expected little of Corr. Just a lot of indiscipline and suspensions.

He has far exceeded my expectations and, despite injuries, is clearly one of the few successes of this motley assortment. Furthermore he has rarely looked like emulating last season's three red cards.

I gave Corr an 8.

You're right. He was trying to play ambitious balls at a time when we needed some creativity... It's just he was playing balls that required far more ability than he has, and they often ended up floating aimlessly to opposition feet. Equally, when we're chasing the game, the very last thing we should be doing is given the ball away, particularly when the opposition are expressing such an interest in wasting time.

Perhaps we should be giving you a crack, you know, as a former full-back yourself.[/QUOTE]

Sorry,I've just been catching up on this thread in one long scroll through.
FWIW,(and you can quote me if you like)I thought Corr played quite well though he did miss an absolute sitter in the first half(at a time when we really needed to get back in the game).

Sadly, my playing days are long over.I was Borough Combination standard rather than LI level anyway.

I expected little of Corr. Just a lot of indiscipline and suspensions.

He has far exceeded my expectations and, despite injuries, is clearly one of the few successes of this motley assortment. Furthermore he has rarely looked like emulating last season's three red cards.

That's what I hear from other people who also go regularly,Mick.
I would also agree with your comments about his exceeding expectations based on his previous as regards injuries(still a problem)and red cards.

I'd have to admit(reluctantly)that you were a more skillful player than me but not a better fullback.:nope:

That wasn't what I was referring to, but one of our friends certainly heard you crack a winger's leg in the Walthamstow & District League many moons ago. :Worthy:

That wasn't what I was referring to, but one of our friends certainly heard you crack a winger's leg in the Walthamstow & District League many moons ago. :Worthy:

Ah,finally caught up with the double entendre.:dim:
Libellous comment btw:smile:As far as I'm aware I was never responsible for anyone breaking their leg though I'd own up to causing a few lesser injuries.:harry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back