• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I thought we were O.K. the first 30 minutes and looked the only team likely to score. We needed to score when we were on top. As the game went on we had so many players that tired and got slower leading to us being caught out. Ranger did his best by winning most his headers and roughing up the center backs. But when he ran you could see he wasn't 100%. Ferdinand another that clearly wasn't fit. McLaughlin is way off his best form. Timlin had a nightmare at left back, and Demetriou at right back. I certainly didn't see lack of effort tho. I thought Lenny was fantastic. Thompson gave everything. We had a few crosses that flashed across the goal. On another day someone gets on the end of them. We had quite a few shots from outside the area, most were very poor.

Generally the ball is only in play 60-65 mins on average. Add in your time wasting on days like today and you'd be playing for 130-140 minutes.

The idea would be that a match would last 60 minutes (Two Halves of 30 Minutes each).
The clock stops EVERYTIME the ball is out of play, for whatever reason.
There would never ever again be any more 'Fergie' minutes, no more time wasting.
In fact the matches would be over QUICKER than at present, seeing that there would be no motivation for teams to waste time.

Can anyone give me a good reason, why this idea never ever even gets a mention?

That really got my goat. The drop ball that they had should have gone back to the keeper but they kicked it out for a throw inside the 18 yard line. Unsporting behaviour. The number 6 who threw himself to the ground when nobody touched him while Cox was waiting to take the penalty and then kicking out when Ferdy helped him up. Disgusting

You saw what, luckily the officials did - nothing.
I was worried when the east side lino came over as I thought he, or the 4th official had seen Theo's nasty stamp onto the top of the 6's foot, very unnecessary and should have been a red card if seen.
There was a lot of frustration at the Hall and nerves really played a part
We have played worse and won but that is no consolation.
On to the Shrews.
UTB

Am I alone in getting fed up wiith these head injury stoppages being roundly abused , both by players using it to break up play and on the restart.
No problems if it is a genuine issue, but tbh, that appears to be in the minority.
I like to see a safety concerns stopping the game, thats reasonable, but if the concern is enough to stop the game, it should be enough to require an additional health check, 10 minutes off the pitch for a compulsory concussion check, should stop those feigning injury

That really got my goat. The drop ball that they had should have gone back to the keeper but they kicked it out for a throw inside the 18 yard line. Unsporting behaviour. The number 6 who threw himself to the ground when nobody touched him while Cox was waiting to take the penalty and then kicking out when Ferdy helped him up. Disgusting

You saw what, luckily the officials did - nothing.
I was worried when the east side lino came over as I thought he, or the 4th official had seen Theo's nasty stamp onto the top of the 6's foot, very unnecessary and should have been a red card if seen.
There was a lot of frustration at the Hall and nerves really played a part
We have played worse and won but that is no consolation.
On to the Shrews.
UTB
As Massimo says, could very easily have been a second yellow had anyone seen it. Link here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2549926993/permalink/10154376737236994/

Coincidentally, their number 6, Ed Upson, was on trial here a few times 2008-2010 before we were relegated and we turned him down.

Last edited:
Knew the day was not going to be ours.
I think it started badly just trying to get into the ground with the machines broken and not allowing Season cards through.
Brown called for the supporters and we obliged just a shame the team didn't really turn up.
I thought Ranger looked tired today and he was surrounded by at least two players while on the pitch. Anton also looked tired and you have to wonder if they are not fully fit. Was good to have Lenny back but, we had it in our hands and we choked but, To be fair MK were never going to be a push over and they had done their homework.
The crowd fell almost silent in the second half but we had nothing to get excited about. On the plus side at least Millwall lost and we still have two games to go

It's hard to know what to say really. We started well and I thought that a Southend goal was only a short time away. When that didn't happen we huffed and puffed a little bit but I still thought that we would slaughter them in the second half. Just shows what I know. Second half and we really did start playing like we hoped something would happen rather than making it happen. MK Dons started to believe that it wasn't their day for a stuffing and they took the game to us. The outcome of this was that they scored twice and we huffed and puffed even more. Walton has come in for some stick in other match reports, but I don't think he was that bad as he made two or three saves which were top drawer. Anton today looked as if he was still feeling the effects of Friday and his injury and Demetriou probably will want to forget his performance today, certainly not one of his best. I'm probably being a bit harsh on those two as nobody covered themselves in glory but there you go.

So, Fleetwood did us a favour and we are still in the mix but whether we are quite good enough I'm not sure after what I saw today. Nevertheless, onward to Shrewsbury where we will probably win with goals to spare, we are Southend United after all. And then it will be down to Bury with the obligatory big crowd and high expectations. Scary eh?

Am I alone in getting fed up wiith these head injury stoppages being roundly abused , both by players using it to break up play and on the restart.
No problems if it is a genuine issue, but tbh, that appears to be in the minority.
I like to see a safety concerns stopping the game, thats reasonable, but if the concern is enough to stop the game, it should be enough to require an additional health check, 10 minutes off the pitch for a compulsory concussion check, should stop those feigning injury

The referee and fourth official were a joke. Continued time wasting which is perfectly fine, but after a while you have to start booking people for it. He just continued to let them do it. The lino on the West Stand had to be on the take. Did nothing all game letting Cox's and Ranger's shirt be continuously pulled yet blows straight away as soon as we touch one of their players.

It really ****es me off when players go down and the grab the ball as well. The ref always gives a foul when it should be given as handball.

Even if we do make the playoffs there are a lot of players who are not at the levels they were a few weeks back or just need some serious patching up to get through another 2-3 games

Quite simple. MK did a job on us today. Thought we did ok first half and fully expected us to come out second half and get the result we needed. But we were simply dreadful. Think Leonard and Cox are the only two to come out with any credit. Defence was a shambles and between them and the keeper they cost us the goals. Midfield completely ineffective but actually thought Willo going off was a mistake. Macca seems to have lost the ability to either take his man on or deliver a decent cross. Woody very ineffective. Ranger was hopeless. All three subs also did very little. For PB to say that this result wasnt a blow is ridiculous. A draw or win today would mean the play offs are in our hands. This defeat means they are not. 3 defeats in 4 is also not a great stat

I guess you didn't see Theo rake him down his calf then! A little bit or argy bargy before that. If the ref had seen it was a defo red IMHO. We just weren't at the races today. I didn't think the ref was that bad; have seen much worse this season at RH. Tactics were wrong. Tempo lacking. We didn't deserve to win. Really hope we kick on the next couple of games because it's now out of our hands :sad:

Even if we do make the playoffs there are a lot of players who are not at the levels they were a few weeks back or just need some serious patching up to get through another 2-3 games
And if we do manage to get into the playoffs we'll have to play two games in 3 days. Ranger and Ferdinand don't seem able to perform to a high standard, without a week between games.

Bloody phone ran out of mobile data! No use blaming the ref or the opps. They soaked up everything we had for 30 minutes then realised that actually it wasn't a great deal and was A team clearly feeling the pressure. They came out and had a go in the second half gifted my unmarked in the 6 yard box and a defensive mistake. For all our chances and hit woodwork the most disappointing thing beyond the mistakes (and there were many) was a lack of creativity. All we can do is win next week and see how Millwall fare.

It's hard to find a stand out player today. Maybe Thompson was the pick of a poor back four but not one player stood up and said give me the ball I want to boss this game. Lenny tried but 3 games watching seemed to me to have an effect. No blaming Brown. I think we'd all have started with a pretty similar line up. No complaints on the choice of subs. Today we needed men and we largely didn't have them. Frustrating but the season is still not over.

The players knew today was their big chance and they responded with another below par performance .A couple of our major players were clearly struggling with injuries ,Lenny clearly lacking match fitness and apart from a couple of players the rest just didn't seem up for it again.

Back