• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Morecambe FC

Disappointing, after taking an early lead. They looked very suspect at the back, had a keeper who simply could not kick the ball, yet he was not troubled once all afternoon. We noticeably went longer today, but stood off them in the second half and allowed them far too much room. Not impressed with the ref either, there was an awful tackle on Green in the first two minutes that warranted a yellow (Green was a passenger thereafter and eventually had to come off) he also missed an over the top tackle on Demi and the second half melee started after he failed to spot their guy had initiated contact. Summed our day up when the wind dropped in the second half.

Oxley - Seems to come when he shouldn't and doesn't when he should.
Elvis - The no 11 had the measure of him' and he got wrong side on a couple of a occasions.
Taylor - Defended well at times, but still makes me nervous
Hobson - Brought ball out of defence well at times but passing far too heavy. Bad body shape for their winner.
Ralph - looked assured but gave their winger too much room to cross for the equaliser.
Egbri - Can't fault his effort but simply too lightweight.
K Taylor - Undoubtedly MOTM, very composed on the ball and can only remember him giving the ball away once (and that was a cute ball into the box) - don't think he's a tackler mind.
Demi - Good first half but gave the ball away a few times when tired second period.
Green - Kicked out of the match early doors, should have come off a lot earlier.
Acquah - Held the ball up well but was also injured fairly early on.
Goodship - did well to put three of their defenders on their ars*s for our goal, but did nothing after that.

Kelman, looked chunky and seemingly uninterested, main contribution was setting up their winner.

Football better and had some decent passages of play but with no creativity we aren't even asking questions of opposition gk.

Acquah looked decent and wow a player that bought a ball down, held it and gave it to a blue shirt was fantastic to see. Shame he took the knock.

Taylor looks like a smart player, pleased with that signing.

I mean we started to probe and there was a couple of attempted passes through the oppo back 4 until kelman played the best pass of the game to their front two and killed us off with their second. For me the signs of improvement are there but lack of bite at either end is criminal at the moment

Unsure. I'd argue the standard of each team has been worse each week which has me worried.

We play like an academy side, which we sort of are at the moment. We look pretty on the edge of our own box but lack any real substance in the final third.

We did play some nice stuff in the first half I'm not doubting that, but I'm really unsure if I think we're improving each game at present. I honestly thought Morecambe were pretty poor in that first half rather than us dictating it
I am not going to blame kids who are not ready to be thrown into a side lacking experienced players alongside them. Keep fielding the same side week in and week out and we are going to get similar results, or worse against better oppostion. We need the injured players back asap. But, to save our season and stay up we need more experience brought in to compliment what we already have, at least 6 players in my eyes.

Assuming the embargo is lifted on the 28th October we could have played 9 League games by then and still have 0 points. Sort it out now or say goodbye to our league status.

Thought we had some good spells in the 1st half and moved the ball around well, but couldn’t capitalise on the early goal and Morecambe started to put us under pressure at will. Same old Southend, we just can’t create enough chances or shots at goal to have any chance of winning games. 1 shot on target today is unbelievable.

I had hope after the 1st half and was impressed with Kyle Taylor and JD in the centre midfield and Emile up top with Goodship, but we started to fade towards the end of the 1st 45. The 2nd half was dreadful, as soon as Emile went off and Kelman came on we totally lost shape and didn’t get going. Defensively we are so naive. Hobson is too slow and passing negligible. Elvis is really off form, and doesn’t look fit. R Taylor and Ralph were a little better, but did nothing special. What the hell is wrong with Kelman? He hardly even broke into a jog, we may as well have had 10men. Egbri is not ready for 1st team football, so can’t see him retaining his place for next week. Who comes in I don’t know, we really need to get JW, Lennon Timothe, and Macca fit, then see what Akinola brings?

Zero points, zero confidence. MM needs a miracle to save us. He’s going to have to be more than the workaholic he claims to turn this shabby lot around.

Oxley 6
Bwomono 4
Hobson 4
R Taylor 5
Ralph 5
Green 5
K Taylor 7
Demi 7
Egbri 4
Emile 6
Goodship 6

Subs
Kelman 4
Clifford 5
Rush 4

Last edited:
Paul Clark summed it up, the higher up you go in the leagues the more you'll get punished if you misplace a pass. Half these players are used to having the luxury of losing the ball and being able to rely on someone else to recover, at this level though if you lose the ball the rest of the team has pushed up expecting you to create a chance, which means you'll be hit on the break. It happened so many times today. If we don't manage to bring in replacements then the team needs to follow Kyle Taylor's example and learn to spot the simple pass if there's nothing else on.

I see Kelman has become the new scapegoat and target for abuse. Just a reminder... he’s 18 years old. He and his family may well read some of this, along with the **** on Twitter. I know everyone is ****ed off with how things are going but seriously, get a grip. I’ve read recently how Kelman is overweight, disinterested, sulking, lazy etc. Who could blame him if he does want to leave with support like that? Charlie is still very young and still learning. He began doing well under Campbell, but he’s now playing a different style under a different manager. It will take time for him to settle and get back to his best.

The only thing worse than the current state of affairs at the club is our so called ‘fans’ reaction to it. Constantly digging out youngsters who shouldn’t be having to be relied upon as first team starters at this age. The abuse towards Hutchinson and his dad was embarrassing and shameful. Good luck to him, I’m sure he’ll flourish at a club where he isn’t subjected to that and the pressure that comes with it.

For everyone who has felt the need to make nasty or personal comments about players either on here or Twitter recently, just remember why Ted Smith retired and remember that these lads are real people with real feelings. Mental health has come into focus in football recently for a reason. Don’t be part of the problem. The vast majority responsible wouldn’t dream of saying it to their face if you met them in them in the street. It doesn’t make it okay because you’ve had a beer, got the hump and are hiding behind a keyboard.

Unsure. I'd argue the standard of each team has been worse each week which has me worried.

We play like an academy side, which we sort of are at the moment. We look pretty on the edge of our own box but lack any real substance in the final third.

We did play some nice stuff in the first half I'm not doubting that, but I'm really unsure if I think we're improving each game at present. I honestly thought Morecambe were pretty poor in that first half rather than us dictating it
Agree - we need to remember this is a team that has conceded 12 goals this weak and we lost to them!!

Yep, it's the manager thaat's the problem.

Give me strength
Agreed, it's not the manager. He needs help to be able to bring in more quality. It still isn't too late (yet) but it worries me that we could effectively go winless until the debt is paid. That's then just under a quarter of the season played for us to fight back. 22nd position is looking quite enviable just now.

Seeing some of you list a line up as our ‘dream team’ gives me a stone in the pit of my stomach.
How far we’ve fallen.

Same issues, poor players or should I say some who used to put in a shift but have lost interest and perhaps a manager who is out of his depth. Kicking it about at the back and an odd shot at goal in 99 min.

Today was woeful.

We really have reached rock bottom. A team totally out of its depth in league 2 against the mighty Morecambe ffs.

We are a car crash in every aspect of the club.

This club of ours is on life support and shows no signs of recovery.

How long ago does that play off win into league 1 seem now?

Please move some youngsters on Ron and allow us to sign some senior pros before we fall out of the league.

Back