• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Rochdale

No, not just you! He’s a great player and has the talent to play at a higher level for sure, but his decision making has to improve. It’s great that we play out from the back, but there’s a time when you have to read the danger and play the percentages, it’s okay to just clear the ball sometimes.

Kensdale today got away with a couple of near misses overplaying at the back before the equaliser. I hoped he’d learn from the warning signs, but no unfortunately. It’s something he needs to improve for sure.
His decision today was to bring the ball down as it came down with snow on it. He was never going to have as much time as he would have liked. Head it son

Hmmm...
I'd be only too happy to praise him. He doesn't offer much to allow it.
Yes, there is the odd moment when he scores, for example, three is it this season?
And, fine, Altrincham was a good shout for him.
But if @LBBlue's stats are correct that was one from 31+7 appearances this season.
One or two out of 38? Not for me...
He's been particularly poor in his recent substitute appearances, certainly not looking like 'fresh legs'.

He's been particularly poor in his recent substitute appearances, certainly not looking like 'fresh legs'.
I would expect Wes, Powell and Wood to be released. We need to be cut throat to win the league next season. As much as all these players have talent….i don’t think they are National League Champions material!

Not sure if any team in this league has a less inspiring player.

Anybody else getting fed up with Kensdale constantly having a severe spell of brain fog on the edge of his own 18 yard box?
Probably just me...appreciate we aren't allowed to criticise any of our players without severe repercussions.
For all the good credit built up this season, the management and players will be expected to get promotion next season, so for me, we need a serious injection of discipline and common sense at critical times of a game - far too many times this season, we have helped to swing the game in the opposition's favour with a piece of rank naivety or terrible decision-making.

The great worry for me is CM is one of those areas that clearly needs meaningful improvement in some respects - the current group together provide little in the way of goal threat, and are relatively lacking re creative threat/assists. That’s fine to the extent that a couple of additions and it’s fixed for sure- but if we keep Wes, and having given all the others 2 year contracts, the fear is it will be deja vu in midfield next year. We are crying out for at least one proven attacking midfielder who brings goals and assists?(ideally two). That would take us to 7 CM- 8 if you included Wood..
Yes. We can’t keep adding. If we want to change, we need to let some go too. I suspect a couple will get football league offers that they want to (and shouldn’t) refuse. So that will force some change. Plus I suspect a couple - Fonguck, Wood, possibly Demetriou - won’t get renewed.

Yes it was a disappointing end to a drama filled season but what was most annoying was when Rochdale scored their second goal so many so called supporters up and left their seats which was equally disappointing from my prospective.Some may have had urgent matters to attend to but surely you could wait and give your thanks to the players and staff for all their efforts this season not much to ask.Rant over
I made this point loudly in West after bloke said what am I supposed to show appreciation for so I listed quite abruptly the reasons why they are all heroes. Some ‘fans’. Christ.

No, not just you! He’s a great player and has the talent to play at a higher level for sure, but his decision making has to improve. It’s great that we play out from the back, but there’s a time when you have to read the danger and play the percentages, it’s okay to just clear the ball sometimes.

Kensdale today got away with a couple of near misses overplaying at the back before the equaliser. I hoped he’d learn from the warning signs, but no unfortunately. It’s something he needs to improve for sure.
The worrying thing is, he doesn't seem to be learning. He seems to keep doing this, and I get he's a NL player, but that's no excuse for keep making the same errors.

He should take a look at Ralph, who barely makes an error and usually knows when to play it and when to clear it.

Obviously today was a disappointing end to the season but what a monumental achievement it has been to put ourselves in contention for the playoffs with on the last day. Truly grateful and proud beyond words of the whole footballing department.

Fingers crossed the ownership is resolved in the coming weeks so we can have a proper preseason and really attack the league next season.

UTB

Thankyou to the magnificent squad and management of SUFC to put the pride back into our club. I'll not pull the game apart on here and voice my criticisms over a disappointing loss, not today.
If any players are reading this, be sure in the knowledge you made me feel proud as a Shrimper this season and i would've much prefered to see you all with smiles as you rounded off with a lap of honour to the fans.
You have no idea how many crap players without heart have graced Roots Hall, how many squads wouldve spent the season moaning and kicking up a fuss about the situation and jogged around each game.
To see the fight and flair, to go to such obscure away outposts with such support and a feeling of team and fans coming together and getting results, in 50 odd years as a fan this squad has stood out.
We may not have won silverware, what we have won is our club back. Kev, Benno, Dazza, Justin, and everyone connected with SUFC, thanks..... WE ARE BACK.

Sorry, another post from me on this thread. My lad is almost 20yrs old and for the first time, spent half the season not going with me. He likes a beer, i cant be there till ko so inevitably he goes with mates.
He has introduced 2 part time Tottenham friends, 1 West Ham seaso, another p/t West Ham supporter and a couple of other good mates who are floaters shall we say.
All of them go home and away as much as they can, chose the coach travel for our last away game for the first time. They enjoy the banter from the W block at Roots Hall, did the conga up at Fylde, travel to see SUFC together on tube and trains midweek straight from work in London.

So, 6 young men who i suspect will now be life long Shrimpers and follow their local side. The West Ham seaso is much more invested in SUFC and no doubt if his dad says buy your own ticket at the London stadium, he'll stick to Essex's number one.

Just an observation i made, how things have snowballed, this despite everything going on this season that screamed despair, there are plenty of positives.

Anybody else getting fed up with Kensdale constantly having a severe spell of brain fog on the edge of his own 18 yard box?
Probably just me...appreciate we aren't allowed to criticise any of our players without severe repercussions.
For all the good credit built up this season, the management and players will be expected to get promotion next season, so for me, we need a serious injection of discipline and common sense at critical times of a game - far too many times this season, we have helped to swing the game in the opposition's favour with a piece of rank naivety or terrible decision-making.
Great Post. However I did turn to my dad as soon as it happened and said...every now and again you get a reminder that these are non league players. I share your frustration but we do play at a certain level and have players that reflect that. Sometimes just put it in a channel ollie X

It was a shame we couldn't have finished on an unbelievable unbeaten run but that's all that made me feel sad today after the season from hell.

We still have a football club and what a wonderful team of back room staff and players and that makes me feel very happy and so so proud.

UTB 💙

I don’t necessarily disagree with the Kensdale opinions because undoubtedly his mistakes has undone a lot of hard work in some games but I will jump to his defence (pun not intended).

We have one of the best defensive records in the league and I know other players contribute to that stat but Kensdale playing in the centre commands a lot of that responsibility, plus the fact he is the teams anchor dictating all play from the back highlights the risk he carries trying to play Maher’s style of football and I don’t think he should be completely criticised for doing so - you see these types of mistakes even at the highest level and that’s just the risk you take with this ‘passing out from the back’ style of football which Kensdale is instructed to do.

He’s a very very solid player who we are lucky to have and is a key reason why we sometimes play lovely football - plus he’s not even that old and seasoned to first team professional football. He’s important to us.

Well thats the season finished and what a crazy season its been, court apperances ,10 points deduction ,a rat off an owner, matches played when we couldnt even fill the subs bench, yet still they couldnt keep us down ,A couple off failed takeover bids and then along comes this Aussie bloke out of nowhere forms a consortium and saves up, Now all we need is the Rat to finally sign off and depart from us forever . Yes a season none off us will ever forget that includes all overseas supporters like myself. Now to sit back rest and just watch to see the out goings and in comings and how my all time favourite football stadium is given a nice spruce up ( and well deserved it is ). It wasnt to be this season but next season with a good preparation we will be certainties for the playoffs and one of the favourites for automatic promotion im sure .Thankyou KEV AND CO for what has been a real seesaw ride thanks to everyone involved from players to management .

Back