• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Bradford City

Gutted, depressed, frustrated, angry, upset the list goes on.

0 points from three homes games is unexceptable and just at a time when 4/5 points would have seen us pull clear. Now we have no games in hand over those above only teams with games in hand over us and if won will leave us deep in it again. Thank god for that run in December that leaves us with some hope but as each game goes by that hope is becoming slim

Who is to blame?
MM - he was dealt a bad hand at the start of the season but he has been given some licence to bring in new players. But my main criticism is this persistence of late to play 3 at the back and move away from a formula that the players seemed to like and bought us success. Please mark go back to a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, but somehow get support to Akinola who runs his nuts off

The players- well they have to carry some responsibility, they make the mistakes defensively at the back that cost the goals and they miss the chances the other end that prevent us from winning games. The injury list continues to grow making the two recent red cards for senior pros irresponsible. Don't think anyone is criticising their effort but we continue to cone up short

But the blame does lie at the feet of RM. what has happened this season hasn't happened overnight, we've been on a downward spiral for years, he has failed to deliver the new ground, failed to back numerous managers and none more so than MM. We came out of the embargo and were promised a busy January but we continue to struggle and in particular strengthen the side in the area most required, upfront .

I still have faith in MM but starting to think that his time may come next season when we see the true manager in him. Unfortunately it's hard not to see that being in the NL something in my 41 years I never thought I would.

We have to believe, we have to try to believe, but it's becoming bloody harder and harder after weeks like we've just witnessed.

The next 4/5 days will define our season. We need 2/3 new players and they must be up front to offer poor Sim the support he deserves for efforts

Not that in anyway do I condone foul play but how can team that’s scrapping for their existence in the football league only commit 4 fouls in the whole game as we let another side walk all over us.

Grimsby one place above us, we managed to beat at home and draw with away
Stevenage two places above us we drew with away,
Barrow three places above us we beat at home
Col U - no wins in 8 we beat at home
Scunthorpe we beat at home - have been creeping up the table with home wins against Barrow, Grimsby and Port Vale.
Port Vale - the only team they have beaten in their last ten games is Grimsby.

There‘s a little pattern here. There’s a group of poor and really poor teams who seem to be unable to beat anyone else out of that little group.

Harrogate who of course thrashed us 4-0 are now 5th from bottom.

Our brief revival was more because of who we were playing than our own improvement.

As for the squad and bench- Klass, Kyprianou, Phillips, - senior players no where to be seen and Walsh? - Where’s he gone? - One for the future in the National League?

Frankly - the players we have signed are no where good enough but I guess they are the only ones who want to come and play for us.

Gutted, depressed, frustrated, angry, upset the list goes on.

0 points from three homes games is unexceptable and just at a time when 4/5 points would have seen us pull clear. Now we have no games in hand over those above only teams with games in hand over us and if won will leave us deep in it again. Thank god for that run in December that leaves us with some hope but as each game goes by that hope is becoming slim

Who is to blame?
MM - he was dealt a bad hand at the start of the season but he has been given some licence to bring in new players. But my main criticism is this persistence of late to play 3 at the back and move away from a formula that the players seemed to like and bought us succeed. Please mark go back to a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, but somehow get support to Akinola who runs his nuts off

The players- well they have to carry some responsibility, they make the mistakes defensively at the back that cost the goals and they miss the chances the other end that prevent us from winning games. The injury list continues to grow making the two recent red cards for senior pros irresponsible. Don't think anyone is criticising their effort but we content to cone up short

But the blame does lie at the feet of RM. what has happened this season hasn't happened overnight, we've been on a downward spiral for. for years, he has failed to deliver the new ground, failed to back numerous managers and none more so than MM. We came out of the embargo and were promised a busy January but we've continue to struggle and in particular strengthen the side on the area most required, upfront .

I still have faith in MM but starting to think that his time may come next season when we see the true manager in him. Unfortunately it's hard not to see that being in the NL something in my 41 years I never thought I would.

We have to believe, we have to try to believe, but it's becoming bloody harder and harder after weeks like we've just witnessed.

The next 4/5 days will define our season. We need 2/3 new players and they must be up front to offer poor Sim the support he deserves for Hobson efforts
Of course MM is going to do well in the national league because hes a national league manager at best!!

Ox 6. Good saves but never looks like stopping a one on one.

Elvis 6. Finished well first time and defended ok. Poor going forward more generally
Hobson 5. Not his best game
New lad 6. Good passing. Needs to calm down with some of his tackling else will get red cards needlessly
White 3. Distribution was appalling. Needed to instruct the other two centre back when to go and when to stay, so to be left 2 on 1 for the second goal was poor
Hart 5.

Demi 5
K Taylor 5. Not at it so much today

RHF 5. Don’t have to shoot every time lad. Missed a good chance
ANG 6. Tricky and holds the ball well. Poor decision making. When he had the ball on the break you knew he was gonna mess it up. Should get him that ball in those areas over and over at training

Akinola 8. Brilliant hold up play, took people on and defended back really well. Must be devastated with the mess around him.

Subs
I don’t get why we would bring Taylor on and pass the ball to his feet to dribble with on the wing.

Bradford weren’t better than us at most things. The difference was the intelligence of decision making. You don’t always have to take 3 players on if you can pass beyond them.

Not that in anyway do I condone foul play but how can team that’s scrapping for their existence in the football league only commit 4 fouls in the whole game as we let another side walk all over us.

Grimsby one place above us, we managed to beat at home and draw with away
Stevenage two places above us we drew with away,
Barrow three places above us we beat at home
Col U - no wins in 8 we beat at home
Scunthorpe we beat at home - have been creeping up the table with home wins against Barrow, Grimsby and Port Vale.
Port Vale - the only team they have beaten in their last ten games is Grimsby.

There‘s a little pattern here. There’s a group of poor and really poor teams who seem to be unable to beat anyone else out of that little group.

Harrogate who of course thrashed us 4-0 are now 5th from bottom.

Our brief revival was more because of who we were playing than our own improvement.

As for the squad and bench- Klass, Kyprianou, Phillips, - senior players no where to be seen and Walsh? - Where’s he gone? - One for the future in the National League?

Frankly - the players we have signed are no where good enough but I guess they are the only ones who want to come and play for us.

Questions need to be asked on the missing players

Didnt get to watch this one for various reasons.

Still feel utterly gutted. So so many things wrong with the club, we all know.
What happened to the team that tore colchester a new one in the first half?

There are so many things rotten at our beloved club but i cant help but feel that playing a different formation every game and every half just doesnt work in league 2. I dont recall tilly or webb playing all these weird formations. The players cant hack it and look like they havent a clue what they are doing.

I know we are down with injuries and lack of a striker but ive always thought throughout our history the moment the manager starts slinging defenders on up front we are really in trouble.

We seem to have needed "3 or 4 good signings" to stay up for years now :(.

It all feels truly hopeless, too late to change manager now and that probably wouldnt work anyway.

Is this the end?

Mm needs to go back to basics. And shake things up, we are running out of time

What game was u watching? Didnt think Bradford was better then us and on another night elvis scores his 2nd and we go 2-1 up! That game could of quite easily finished 3-3 we was poor defensively but we kept going forward and created chances we couldn't finish! That was a good game of football and I was thoroughly entertained!

Mods can I request a change of name to Bipolar steve....Thanks.

What game was u watching? Didnt think Bradford was better then us and on another night elvis scores his 2nd and we go 2-1 up! That game could of quite easily finished 3-3 we was poor defensively but we kept going forward and created chances we couldn't finish! That was a good game of football and I was thoroughly entertained!
Do you know what @Shrimpet steve, you've cheered up my morning no end with this. I marvel at your ability to consistently talk out of your arse which has now reached 'expert' levels, so I thank you for that.:Smile2:

I’d agree that the defensive set up didn’t work and while the same old issue was obvious (not being able to finish teams off, coming out second half and conceding) .. we at least had shored up at the back and that’s the most frustrating thing. I wonder what Mark’s thinking is with the 5 at the back, especially at home. Keeping it simple certainly seemed to be benefiting White and Hobson both of whom fell short last night. Port Vale aren’t on such a great run so fingers crossed we can field a stronger team and get a result. Onwards ..

Maybe his Tactic is to equalise first and give all players a trowel and a bucket of cement and play with a 1-9-1 formation. With the forward player being a either the 2nd string goalkeeper or a yoof centre back. My first match was in 1964 and NEVER have i been so so disappointed with this pathetic management set up. MnM should stick to Peanut Treats and fall on his sword to allow another pro to sort out his rubbish. In simple terms a fresh pair of eyes to utilise our current squad and get back to playing to OUR strengths not a unworkable plan.

Like everyone else, hugely disappointed and frustrated. Seems the "lift" of having the fans back in the stadium briefly has well and truly disappeared.

Pitch was awful having had 3 matches in 10 days and the amount of rain we have - trouble was, there were few players out there with experience of our pitch when it's bad, hence people kept getting stuck in it.

Why is we can all see that 3 at the back doesn't work, but the management team can't?

As it goes, I thought Hobson and Elvis both had decent enough games, and Cordner did ok in his debut as well. We lost midfield massively, Kyle Taylor is a shadow of the player we saw at the start of the season, we missed Dieng, and we're missing either Olayinka or Egbri for their energy.

Felt sorry for Sim, who was isolated.

Said on Twitter after the match, how much longer does Ron put up with this? Replies aplenty saying he just doesn't care any more - his dream is in the final stages of realisation and the football is no longer important.

Like everyone else, hugely disappointed and frustrated. Seems the "lift" of having the fans back in the stadium briefly has well and truly disappeared.

Pitch was awful having had 3 matches in 10 days and the amount of rain we have - trouble was, there were few players out there with experience of our pitch when it's bad, hence people kept getting stuck in it.

Why is we can all see that 3 at the back doesn't work, but the management team can't?

As it goes, I thought Hobson and Elvis both had decent enough games, and Cordner did ok in his debut as well. We lost midfield massively, Kyle Taylor is a shadow of the player we saw at the start of the season, we missed Dieng, and we're missing either Olayinka or Egbri for their energy.

Felt sorry for Sim, who was isolated.

Said on Twitter after the match, how much longer does Ron put up with this? Replies aplenty saying he just doesn't care any more - his dream is in the final stages of realisation and the football is no longer important.

Sorry to disagree with you, but I don't buy this "experience of our pitch piece" I don't recall seeing any opposition players having issues with the pitch, just us and we play on it more!!

Also, one player who did slip was White, and he should have known.

I said in an earlier chat, that I feel we miss Edgri, because of his hassling.

Next game, go back to 4 at the back, with Dieng and Hobson (which was our most successful CB pairing) with Clifford LB, and move Hart to LM.

Back