• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hall and Corr, what more can you say, by far and away our 2 best players this season. Can only hope they both stay fit and continue to do the business next season. BUT we do need some other attacking threats as Crawford was **** poor today, Blair doesnt get goals and the rest of the midfield dont either. Get a couple of other strikers and a wideman in the summer and we can give promotion a real push next season as there has been no team really this season who have outplayed us.

I still think that if we get good enough offers players will go.

Well I think as long as Luggy is here these players will want to play for him as clearly he is a manager who commands and gets the respect of his players. No doubt teams will be looking at the likes of Hall and Ferdinand but hopefully we can give next season a real go as I would shudder at the thought of another season beyond next playing teams like Stevenage who have no intention of playing football at all but just kicking lumps out of the opposition.

To the clueless muggy element of the Stevenage fans (quite possibly all of you?), Southend United have zero loanees in the entire squad. All of our players are contracted. Please get your facts straight before chatting ****. Now please **** off back to non-league oblivion asap. You horrible little tinpot no mark club.

Last edited:
I'd write about bits of the game, but I'm feeling quite lazy after an afternoon of sweltering heat in my East Stand seat. What I will say is that Winn's "challenge" was right in front of me and was horrific. Clohessy is actually very lucky not to have suffered severe damage to his left eye, as the bladed stud marks on that side of his face prove.

Ratings:

Morris 7: His kicking seemed off today, but other than that he was solid and made a vital penalty save. I see nothing wrong with keeping him as No1 for next season, as he's got better as the season has gone one, no doubt helped by Evans forcing him out of the side.

Clohessy 7: After escaping losing the sight in one eye, I thought he did well considering. In fact I'm staggered he didn't come off after that challenge. He wasn't as prominent going forward as usual, but he was always a useful outlet.

Coughlan 7: As usual he was a tower of strength at the back, and one that used all the tricks in the book against the inexperienced Harrison. In that weather, had he been against a quick striker, he may have struggled, but thankfully he wasn't.

Barker 7: Made one slip that could've proved costly had Stevenage not been dreadful, but again managed to generally coast through a game.

Prosser 6.5: You get what you expect with him really - a centre half trying to get by at left back. He's not going to give you much going forward, but he will add height and strength to the defence and he is a tryer and a communicator.

Grant 5.5: I thought Granty was poor at times to be honest. He gave the ball away so badly, so often, at times it was laughable. He was excellent against Bradford last week, but this week he was generally the opposite, although he did improve a little once Sawyer was on the pitch.

Easton 6: Gave his usual 110% and was better than his first game back.

Ferdinand 5.5: Probably the poorest I've seen him play. He really struggled to assert himself against the opposition full of thugs, but this was probably a good thing, as once again Paul Jewell was in the crowd watching him.

Crawford 5.5: Quite a quiet game from him, although he could've and probably should've done better from Corr's excellent flick on just before he was taken off.

Corr 7: As usual he put himself about and got into some good goalscoring positions. His goal was a simply stunning finish and I'm delighted to see him hit his 20 goal target. He looked chuffed to bits with it as well.

Hall 7: Is that 16 assists in the League now and 19 in total? Unbelievable. He's quickly turned into our star man and by the way Stevenage continually doubled up on him, it hasn't gone unnoticed!

Subs:

Sturrock 6: Put himself about and was unlucky with a very good header at the end. I kind of like the fact that he's being used as a second half sub at the moment to give Crawford a chance.

Sawyer 7: Added a nice bit of craft, creativity and energy to the midfield. With a full pre season, he should be one of the stars of League Two next year.

Mohsni 5.5: I'll be honest, I could kind of see the reasoning behind bringing him on at the back, but you just knew he'd do what he did. Harrison was just starting to get the legs on Coughlan, so Bilel was obviously brought on to snuff that out, but just when is he going to learn to stop doing these stupid things? Least this flakey recent form surely means the big boys won't come calling in the summer.

I like how someone has posted on their forum a quote from us

That reminds me

"The best thing is that Stevenage have more players on loan than us."

Eh?
They have actually been on our forum and still don't understand 1 is a bigger number than 0 :stunned:

Also have no idea why they think the result wasn't deserved, BBC says we had 10 on target, they had 2, which sounds about right. If we played like that everyone would have started a thread demanding protests and to get Martin out!

Last edited:
On their forum, they still insist half our team is full of loans. We have zero loanees. Clueless bitter non-leaguers.

Perhaps they have trouble counting... a few of their fans that I encountered about town (especially the younger ones) seemed rather educationally impaired.
I also note that some of their fans appear to be doubtful whether Winn's red card was deserved.... in which case they should take a look at picture 6 on the match gallery. Ouch!

Not the greatest game today, but it was entertaining nonetheless. I'm glad to see we are not ending the season with a whimper, hopefully we can keep a bit of form through the last three games and take a bit of momentum into next season (providing we don't lost all our best players over the summer!)

This game is like watching Holland Vs Spain in World Cup 2010!! (we are the Spain who try and play football & Stevenage is the holland of League 2!)

Really enjoyed the game today!!! One of the most exciting games of the season as there was no shortage of incident and partly due to level of away support. I was very impressed with stevenage's second half display and can see why they are up there. Renewed my season ticket this week and am really looking forward to next season. When you look at the side we're only a two signings away from having a really decent first eleven.

Morris
Clohessy, barker, moshni + LB
Three from grant, easton, sawyer + ferdinand
Hall, corr + CF/winger (must get some pace in to compliment hall and corr)

I'd see Blair Sturrock as perfectly decent cover as he's done ok this year. I wish morons who clearly have no understading of the game and just like the sound of their own voice like the guys in block T in the west would lay off him. It really it very boring and it would be kind to describe their level of wit as minimal.

Paul Sturrock has done a great job this year and if we can hang onto most of the nine above then i'm going to have a punt on promotion

I'm going to miss my first home game of the season next week but can't wait for the trip to wycombe

up the blues!!

AWWHH They are really annoyed about the referee today etc.

http://www.sbfcbanter.co.uk/boro.mpl?id=485586

'We played the better football on the ground. We got the ball into their half with ease at times' Really?

Classic!

Oh and this other classic

'Southend are a team made up of loan players. Shouldn't be allowed for bankrupt teams to compete this way. that loop hole needs to be closed.'

Yep, all of those bloody loan players. Classic number 2.

And this one

'AWFUL performance by the ref today. We were robbed of a point which really could have pushed us up the league.'

The first point I agree with, robbed of a point? I fail to understand that.

Classic number 3.

Wow I could analyse and read this forever. HAHAAHAHAHA! Non League bore! Glad they enjoyed their day out though! LOL LOL LOL!

The sites been taken down or not working :(

I'd write about bits of the game, but I'm feeling quite lazy after an afternoon of sweltering heat in my East Stand seat. What I will say is that Winn's "challenge" was right in front of me and was horrific. Clohessy is actually very lucky not to have suffered severe damage to his left eye, as the bladed stud marks on that side of his face prove.

Ratings:

Morris 7: His kicking seemed off today, but other than that he was solid and made a vital penalty save. I see nothing wrong with keeping him as No1 for next season, as he's got better as the season has gone one, no doubt helped by Evans forcing him out of the side.

Clohessy 7: After escaping losing the sight in one eye, I thought he did well considering. In fact I'm staggered he didn't come off after that challenge. He wasn't as prominent going forward as usual, but he was always a useful outlet.

Coughlan 7: As usual he was a tower of strength at the back, and one that used all the tricks in the book against the inexperienced Harrison. In that weather, had he been against a quick striker, he may have struggled, but thankfully he wasn't.

Barker 7: Made one slip that could've proved costly had Stevenage not been dreadful, but again managed to generally coast through a game.

Prosser 6.5: You get what you expect with him really - a centre half trying to get by at left back. He's not going to give you much going forward, but he will add height and strength to the defence and he is a tryer and a communicator.

Grant 5.5: I thought Granty was poor at times to be honest. He gave the ball away so badly, so often, at times it was laughable. He was excellent against Bradford last week, but this week he was generally the opposite, although he did improve a little once Sawyer was on the pitch.

Ferdinand 5.5: Probably the poorest I've seen him play. He really struggled to assert himself against the opposition full of thugs, but this was probably a good thing, as once again Paul Jewell was in the crowd watching him.

Crawford 5.5: Quite a quiet game from him, although he could've and probably should've done better from Corr's excellent flick on just before he was taken off.

Corr 7: As usual he put himself about and got into some good goalscoring positions. His goal was a simply stunning finish and I'm delighted to see him hit his 20 goal target. He looked chuffed to bits with it as well.
Hall 7: Is that 16 assists in the League now and 19 in total? Unbelievable. He's quickly turned into our star man and by the way Stevenage continually doubled up on him, it hasn't gone unnoticed!

Subs:

Sturrock 6: Put himself about and was unlucky with a very good header at the end. I kind of like the fact that he's being used as a second half sub at the moment to give Crawford a chance.

Sawyer 7: Added a nice bit of craft, creativity and energy to the midfield. With a full pre season, he should be one of the stars of League Two next year.

Mohsni 5.5: I'll be honest, I could kind of see the reasoning behind bringing him on at the back, but you just knew he'd do what he did. Harrison was just starting to get the legs on Coughlan, so Bilel was obviously brought on to snuff that out, but just when is he going to learn to stop doing these stupid things? Least this flakey recent form surely means the big boys won't come calling in the summer.

When we signed Corr, a lot of fans were perplexed. He hasn't a great goalscoring record from previous seasons, but credit to Sturrock for bringing him in, he must have known with the right players around him and keeping him fully fit he had a chance to bang in 20 this season. We had Eastwood scoring 20, but what other players have we had in the last 10 odd seasons who have scored 20 a season?

Ratings:

Subs:

Coughlan's lack of pace was exposed time and time again by their no 26 (was that Harrison?) who, at one point, gave him a 2 yard start to the ball and beat him by 2 yards over about a 10 yard distance.

I felt the ref didn't handle the game well early on and allowed a lot of stuff to go unpunished. Stevenage were a big, strong team and reminiscent of Boston a few years back. They get their results by physically bullying sides out of the match. Nothing wrong with that, it's a legitimate tactic and one which we will have to learn to deal with if we need to get out of this division. All part of our learning curve.

I thought we shaded it in the first half but after the sending off there was only one side in it. Credit to them for not sitting back behind the ball, they really pressed us all over the pitch and I thought we were the team who was one short at times. The ref gave them very little indeed and the penalty they got was probably the third one they should have had. However, when Morris saved it you could see their players visibly deflate. At that point they knew it wasn't going to be their day and that gave us the impetus to press on and the last 10 minutes were excellent - we could have won 3-0.

Ratings -

Morris - 8 - mainly for the penalty save and a couple of good catches/punches under pressure. The defence in front of him didn't let much through.

Clohessy - 7 - Lucky to retain his sight after that awful challenge. Very dangerous play although no malice intended in it, I'm sure.
Prosser - 6 - Every clearance was 40 feet in the air. When this lad has his head screwed on right he looks decent enough but he seems to have frequent concentration lapses. Reminds me of David Morley. We cannot afford that sort of tightrope walking defending every game. Will he control the ball? Will he make the challenge? Hmm. Not at all convinced.
Barker - 6 - Not the best game I've seen him have by a long chalk. Caught in possession 2 or 3 times and one occasion gifted them a chance where their striker raced clean through and then fired over not just the bar but the entire North Bank without touching it. That takes some doing.
Coughlan - 7 - Solid enough in the air and the tackle but was totally exposed for pace at times. But he is in his late 30's and his effort and commitment are unquestionable.

Hall - 7.5 - A few cameo pieces and some decent delivery but off the pace I felt for much of the game, especially in the first half. Probably because he spent more time on the deck being fouled than anything else.
Ferdinand - 6.5 - Not his type of game at all. Correctly subbed I think.
Grant - 6 - I say Ferdinand was correctly subbed but that's because PS wanted to change the style of play. If it was based on performance on the day then Grant would surely have come off. So many passes went astray.
Easton - 7.5 - Pick of the midfield. Steady, strong and went about his job effectively.

Crawford - 6 - Huffed and puffed a lot but posed no threat whatsoever. Needs to have a bit more in his locker if he wants to make it in the game. It's too early to say whether that was an off day or his regular performance but unfortunately I suspect it was the latter.
Corr - 8.5 - MOM - Rarely lost an aerial challenge, every flick or knock on was aimed to someone, had a header well saved and the power in the header behind the goal was awesome. Cor! We have a 20 goal striker! (See what I did there...)

Subs -

Mohsni - 5 - This lad is everything. The biggest asset, the biggest liability and you get the feeling he'd die for the cause. Pure entertainment on legs. Not his best day but didn't he lift the crowd when he came on?
Sawyer - 8 - One of the most influential subs performances I've seen this season. Good to see him back.
Sturrock - 7 - Unlucky not to score with that header at the end.

Ref - 3 - Lacked authority, gave cards at the wrong times, made wrong decisions. There was one challenge on Crawford that laid him out, but he played advantage. Once we had lost that advantage, Crawford was still down and so at that time, shouldn't he have stopped the game to allow treatment? Instead, he allowed Stevenage to counter attack and only stopped the game when the ball went out of play. Now surely that's the correct thing to do IF you think a foul wasn't committed... but he booked the Stevenage player, so that wasn't the case. I'll happily stand corrected by one of the refs on here if I'm wrong but it strikes me that a decision (or lack of it) like that has trouble all over it if, for instance, the next time the ball went out of play it happened to be in our net. Not good Mr referee.

Last edited:
When we signed Corr, a lot of fans were perplexed. He hasn't a great goalscoring record from previous seasons, but credit to Sturrock for bringing him in, he must have known with the right players around him and keeping him fully fit he had a chance to bang in 20 this season. We had Eastwood scoring 20, but what other players have we had in the last 10 odd seasons who have scored 20 a season?

I think Lee Barnard might have got there if he had stayed for the full season.

Pretty similar to how fbm saw the game. Stevenage were thugs and bullies and were allowed to get away with most of it - the Clohessy tackle apart. Maybe the police who had control over the Ryan Hall case would like to look at THAT as to criminal evidence of what a footballer can do with his foot! Their tactics were why, imo, both Crawford and Ferdinand struggled - it was an unfamiliar scenario for them, and they weren't quite up to it. That's not really a criticism, just an acknowledgement of their age and that they need to develop some nous to be successful at this level. As Stevenage played the ball perpetually in the air, it was entirely the right decision to bring on Sawyer and Blair, two skilled on the floor players and this made a major difference to the way the game was played. Just wasn't sure about bringing Mohsni on, game seemed a bit too volatile for him, and within minutes he'd given away two "penalties".

Morris - 8, would have been more but I think his distribution was still poor, always looks for Corr or Hall when often Grant or Clohessy are in good positions for a quick throw or kick. Excellent penalty save though and will have done him good because I don't think he had much previous in the saving department
Clohessy - 7.5, committed as always and great going forward when he could get involved
Coughlin - 7.5, pick of the central two, played them at their own tactics, just caught out by pace a few times
Barker - 7, slipped about a bit - is that down to the bloody watering of the pitch AGAIN?
Prosser - 6.5, did ok, but a lot of their attacks came down that side and he did look a bit suspect at times. Hoofed the ball a lot, but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing - it gets it away. Excellent shot in the 1st half which didn't miss by much
Grant - 6.5, not as bad as some people seem to think, I thought he took the game by the scruff a couple of times and tried to do things. Grant at the beginning of the season would've had a few shots on goal though, Grant as of now, looks frightened to shoot unless it's a free kick
Ferdinand - 6, good in the tackle but not a lot else from Kane I thought, physicality of the oppponents told
Easton - 7, influential in the middle but looked better behind Sawyer when he came on
Hall - 8, they had done their homework and gave him close attention, still, when he was able to get away he showed he's vital to our team for next year. One criticism, why does Hall have to do ALL the set pieces? As a left footer, I would prefer to see a right footer (Grant) taking some of the free kicks that are better suited to one
Crawford - 6, same as Kane. One very good attempt on goal but other than that, little of note
Corr - 9, MOTM, never gave up, endured countless fouls and scored his 20th with a cracking header!

Subs:
Sawyer for Ferdinand - 7, forwards not sideways!!! Yes, I know you've got great skill, but diagonal dribbling followed by neat 360 degree turns isn't getting the ball where it needs to be and please rediscover your shooting boots!!!
Sturrock for Crawford - 8, came on and was influential, holding the ball up, crossing and narrowly missing what would have been a good goal. This system seems to work for us at the moment, if Blair is happy, then I'm quite content to have Harry wear them down for Blair to come on and use his know-how to try and exploit their weaknesses
Mohsni for Prosser - 6, would've liked to see him come on up front, thought the defence were settled, why disrupt them? Love him though!

Officials - 'nuff said elsewhere by others and me

Last edited:
Really wasn't the game for Mohsni yesterday, if he was going to come on I'd have stuck him up front to cause havoc in the Stevenage box rather than our own.

Could have given away a penalty with his first touch, would have been harsh but you've seen them given. No complaints about the pen, as soon as Mohsni got wrong side of him there was only going to be one outcome.

Great save from Morriss, he was due one from the spot. Yet another fantastic Hall cross for a Corr goal.

A cowards challenge on Clohessy, how can you possibly have any complaints about walking for that ?!

WOW The amount of even more amazing posts on that board is even funnier now. LOL.
Please go back to non league you useless, non footballing, dick 'ead, waste of space, no mark, tin pot, boring, on loan to the league, balderdash, drivel, gibberish, poppycock, abortive, bootless, counterproductive, disadvantageous, dysfunctional, expendable, feckless, fruitless, futile, good-for-nothing, hopeless, idle, impracticable, impractical, incompetent, ineffective, ineffectual, inept, inoperative, inutile, meaningless, no good, nonfunctional, of no use, pointless, profitless, purposeless, scrap, stupid, unavailing, unfunctional, unproductive, unpurposed, vain, valueless, waste, weak, worthless ****ing boring club!

However one thing they did get right on their forum is how loud the north bank can get!
We make them look like Brazil I read apparently. It amazes me how fans can be so deluded.
Lets get some stats out then;

Possession
Southend - 53% Stevenage - 47%
Shots on Target
Southend - 10 Stevenage - 2
Shots Off Target
Southend 4 Stevenage - 3
Corners
Southend - 7 Stevenage - 6

Still they have done well to be fair to them as they are really a Conference South Side.

I'll let them enjoy their little time.

The end.

Erm Martin Caruthers was not far off I don't think and Leon Constantine

Back