• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-2 Altrincham

He's got the money to have the builders work on the training pitches at Fossets all week though. This I can see from my window at work.

I think it is pure neglect of Roots Hall.

It's not quite as simple as there's money for training there must be money for roots hall. They're different companies, you can't just move money between companies.

It's not quite as simple as there's money for training there must be money for roots hall. They're different companies, you can't just move money between companies.
A good point, but all the same when you're planning the future; you still have to decide where an overall bag of money goes.
Call me naive, if you like, but either RM didn't see the latest club catastrophe coming, and I doubt that, or he didn't much care.
We're talking about financing the season from a way back.
In a brief chat with him about four years ago, he admitted he was often projecting 'one or two years at a time.'
If so, he could shout 'hold' on one project while funding another in advance. And again, I'm not talking a month in advance, but a year or two in his own words.
But there again, there are no flats or retail outlets at Roots Hall, eh?

Great first half and seem to lose our way second half. It was so good to see so many players trying to get into the box first half, we just didn't keep it up second half unfortunately. That's what we need, midfielders in and around the box, especially with hardly any strikers to play.

We can all automatically point to the mistake at the back for their second goal and lament the keeper but I choose to look at how the keeper reacted. He could have crumbled thereafter but he kept us in it with a couple of good saves. The communication isn't going to be great with changes at the back, it will take time. Mistakes will happen at this level. Just watch the highlights show on a Saturday, there are howlers every weekend. That is the level we are at. Both the keeper and Lopata were at fault for me, and I hope they both put their hand up in the dressing room and they move on.

I was more disappointed with the performances of both Ralph and Mooney. These are big players at this level and they simply didn't show up, Mooney hasn't shown up all season. Kensdale must have felt hard done by that he made way for Ralph and he put in a fairly poor performance in truth. I've said it all along, Ralph's best position is LWB and not LCB.
Bridge has to stay at LWB! He is so good there.

Wreh had a great game. His strength, power and hold up play was brilliant. Why he didn't play in the Aldershot game I'll never know.

In the grand scheme of things, I'll take a point after two losses and we go again Saturday.

UTB!

Hard to stock if you;

1. Don't have the staff to place the orders
2. Don't have willing suppliers due to outstanding payments

And pointless stocking up if you Don't have staff to serve punters.

Pure conjecture on my part, but quite plausible reasons IMO.
Oh I agree, especially with the possibility of being put on ‘stop’ by suppliers due to outstanding bills so the club can’t buy new stock (conjecture on my part).

The question, which has been asked a million times, is how are the club in such a financial mess. It’s devastating!

The out-of-depth loanee goalkeeper's gaffe yesterday (and a lack of a solid no.1 keeper in general) is a direct result of the embargo.

If we were not embargoed, as I understand it from others on here we've had a Steve Arnold replacement lined up for months. This top NL goalkeeper would have been on his way to SUFC.

God only knows if the deal is still on after the total **** show of the last couple months. I would recommend he stays at his well-run club and avoids becoming one of the deckchairs on the SUFC Titanic.

As for other injuries, we can't even dip into short term loans to fill the gaps and keep the momentum. Again another impact of the off-field issues.

You have to give the management and the players the tools to succeed, that includes competent and fit teammates. It seemed to get a bit ugly yesterday as it became clear the defence don't appear to get on with our loanee GK.

I find it seriously concerning that Chris Phillips has real worries about the current club situation as per his tweet yesterday. He's seen it all before so if he's concerned, we should all be.
You make many good points, especially regarding the keeper situation - i wasn’t aware of any ‘clash’, so it will be interesting to see how that develops.

I’m not sure however that we would be signing any more strikers, embargo or not. I just don’t see how we could afford it.

The financial state of the club is nothing short of a disaster agreed, but I still don’t see how it should affect any individual’s performance - the available personnel yes, but not how a player plays (I’m making the big assumption they have been paid of course).

You can. There are so many financial instruments that can be used to move cash in such a manner if needed.
This however assumes

1) the funding allowed it to be used for other purposes (would you lend money for a project like this without strings attached?)
2) Ron - who resigned as Director of all the development companies - actually has authority to move money
3) his development partners (lots of the companies seemed to be owned 50:50 etc) would let him

He was lucky he made it to the tunnel, I said to my brother that the two stretcher bearers appeared to be blowing when it was empty and that they would really struggle with Mooney in it. Sure enough one took a tumble and Mooney looked, bemused, shall we say.
I mean it took them long enough to get it, maybe they ran to Southend general to grab it first, probably haven't paid to have one at the ground

I mean it took them long enough to get it, maybe they ran to Southend general to grab it first, probably haven't paid to have one at the ground
No, they're always that slow. We always joke about the "Rapid Response Stretcher Team". Fortunately Kev Mc got round there pretty quick to help and they got the splint on.

With all the issues going on in the Club, there are still people who want to use the Post Match thread to revisit abuse towards a young player who started his career with us at a terrible time in our history, on and off the pitch. Presumably, the fact that he gets picked every week for a team just below us in NL doesn't sit too well with these people who said he would never get another professional contract.

With all the issues going on in the Club, there are still people who want to use the Post Match thread to revisit abuse towards a young player who started his career with us at a terrible time in our history, on and off the pitch. Presumably, the fact that he gets picked every week for a team just below us in NL doesn't sit too well with these people who said he would never get another professional contract.
Well said lets stay on topic.

(He was cack tho) 😙

From all that's been written on this thread, the unfortunate Mooney was not at the races.
But why did so many clubs rate him in the summer?
Someone here said Alty played a 4-4-2 system that suited him better as an out-and-out winger.
But surely a good player can adapt?
There seems to be something unsaid about his decline.
Injury? Before yesterday, that is.
Something else...?

Maybe we need a gofundme so we can buy the club cheap hot chocolate we can then buy at an exorbitant price.

Just thinking out loud...
Is it something the Trust could do and split the profits with the club? Could be win-win if the club can't afford to purchase refreshments!

That would be myself, as you probably well know, though I think it was "shut up" both times. If you remember, the requests have always been to support the team during the match, hence why we reacted like that. Others obviously felt similarly because it was just a ripple of protest on both occasions. If you're going to protest, then do it before the match or during half time, it's absolutely pointless when Martin isn't there
🥱

From all that's been written on this thread, the unfortunate Mooney was not at the races.
Someone here said Alty played a 4-4-2 system that suited him better as an out-and-out winger.
Something else...?

Actually he was at the races. With 4 forwards out and no one who can lead the line it was absolutely the right thing for Mooney to get more central.

He got into some great positions first half and i was hoping for a much needed left foot strummed inside the left post classic last season Mooney goal

He has had plenty of comments on here about not passing. So combined with the obvious pressure he must be feeling himself......He chose to pass instead of shoot. Others didn't do enough with those passes. body language was shocking after their 2nd and Kev left Mooney on to long. Not for the first time this season.

Anyway doesn't matter now as have yet another long term injury. The curse continues for about the 5th year in a row.

The whole club has to hang on for a month or two. Play-offs was always the target and still is. As long as we tread water it will be March and April that decides our season.

Something else...?
He’s clearly a very decent goal scoring winger at this level

I have no idea what his position is or what his instructions are when he plays for us.

Back