• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-3 Peterborough United

We both watched the game on iFollow I presume.Though even I knew Kightly wasn't playing with Bunn in for him and Mclaughlin scored.I know the BBC Essex commentary cut out a few times-most annoyingly for their third goal but it was OK most of the time.

FWIW,I thought we deserved and nearly got a point.
Wow, even you knew!

I made a mistake when writing up a quick report post match. PLEASE FORGIVE.

FWIW, I’m fully aware Kightly wasn’t playing as he got sent off like a **** last week.

Come on Folks, we weren't as poor as some are suggesting; nothing about Posh makes me see them as run away Champs etc: AND get our sick & suspended players back and we will do ok and make play offs.
Yes our defense is too static, yes our midfield is a work in progress and yes our forwards need to get more accurate and lucky BUT to my eyes there is no shortage of honest work and willingness, no freeloaders or quitters.
Still early days so stay supportive.

Views from today...

We will continue to concede too many goals with that defence, far too easy for teams to pass their way through to score. Teams will target the lack of mobility.

Hopper did really well winning headers today but needs someone to be gambling on the flick ons which is where McCoulsky should be.

How many times do we dominate the first 20 minutes but don’t convert chances. We have a goal scoring player in McCoulsky who will convert more chances then anyone else and needs to be on the pitch at the start to do so. He looks to be a player that could get 20 goals with a run in the team.

Bunn, mantom, dieng, hopper and Coker did well today.

Got to change the personnel

Wow, even you knew!

I made a mistake when writing up a quick report post match. PLEASE FORGIVE.

FWIW, I’m fully aware Kightly wasn’t playing as he got sent off like a **** last week.

Yeah I didn’t really mean to have a massive go tbh. I think I just took it out on you coz I was ****ed off with the result after getting back to 2-2. And also surprises me how many on here spell Kightly and McLaughlin’s names wrong on a regular basis.

As Tangled In Blue correctly pointed out, I wasn’t there today as I’m out of the country but I was at the Charlton game last week hence knowing Kights was suspended.

iFollow took my money and then refused to let me watch the video stream today so that added to what was a fantastic day all round really.

4 - GK - Would Bishop have conceded more than 3?
7 - LB - Coker actually had a decent game I think
5’s - CB - neither looked good enough today
6 - RB - slightly better going forward but still think he is a liability currently. Got caught out of position a few times and lost the ball too far up the pitch. Welcome back JD there soon
6 - Wingers - both did ok actually. Bunn run a few dead ends but did alright and Knightly not as good but scored
7 - CM - Tidy but nothing great. Controlled much of the game I guess
7.5 - Cox - despite the constant stick he gets on here (everyone new favourite scape goal) the only player we have with the quality to make the ball stick. Played a big part in both goals.
7 - Hopper - scored and some tidy play

Ultimately, another lose despite a better performance. Down to 15th. CP needs to get it together and quick if we want to do anything towards to right end of the table. If not, we better start getting a few points to avoid looking down this season.
Kightly wasn’t playing!

My opinion.
4 The goalkeeper was out of condition and slow
7 Elvis great going forward but exposed at the back due to lack of support by Macca
5 White and Turner not up to the standard required unfortunately
8 Coker had a good game mom
5 Macca’s poor game was disguised by his goal should be replaced by Elvis when JD returns
7 Deing good game
7 Mantom good game
8 Bunn good game
7 Hopper good game
7 Cox good game but needs to play link up role behind two strikers imo.
CP poor decision making with subs and the timing
I would have left Cox on and replaced Macca with Robinson

Clearly I've a trick or two during the drive down...but wasn't Mr Evans was on a touchline ban today ??
Peterborough, a big team size wise...certainly at the back, keeper couldn't catch for ****, and palmed away sooooooooo many opportunities, pre match observers take on board.
A good match, we had many moments of skill and vision in the 1st half but no finishing touch.

It's becoming the norm to fall behind before we wake up...it was amusing to see the overweight goading gentleman in the blue sheepishly disappear when the scores became level..:Hilarious:

We deserved at least a point, and I believe that Peterboro will count this as a fortunate 3 points to take home.

Mom; Bunn in the 1st half - tore their defender a new bottom and willing to take a pot shot...faded in the 2nd, lack of supply ?
Mantam & Dieng strong
Elvis worked hard
Hopper..tough day at the office with their " units"

Subs; Even at 2 down, I would've brought on Hendrie for Elvis, McCoulsky for Cox, and Teeeeooo for Macca....death or glory

All things considered ...we ran a team, top of the league v.v.close....deserved better and should take positives out of the game going forward.

Here endeth the 67th lesson of this thread, and I'm off to church to pray for an upturn in luck & good fortune.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I’ve got all my irrational hate towards Steve Evans and the Posh supporters out of the way, which just leaves yesterday’s game.

I was a bit worried before the game that our player selection was begging for a good slapping, but when the team sheet was published and Mantom and Dieng both appeared on it that worry disappeared. Our first choice duo was fit, great. It’s all about opinions but I thought we totally bossed the first half and Peterborough looked pretty ordinary. I was still of that view up to the 32nd minute when Godden got his first goal of the day and there we were 0-1 down and rueing missed chances. Never mind, plenty of time to get that one back. We saw a lot of what makes Southend the team we love and despair of in that first half, McLaughlin’s free kick, on target, goal bound....and saved. Dieng’s volley, on target, well hit, goal bound.......and saved. A cross from Ben and McLaughlin’s header looped towards the top right hand corner, on target goal bound (probably)......and saved. A bit like buses in Southend, wait ages and then three come along in close succession. The minutes ticked by and still we were pressing, but no goals, and then it was half time.

Second half, here we go, get one back early, we’ll be right back in this............but we still keep making and missing chances. Round about the 50th minute Mrs RHB said to me that she wished Coxy wouldn’t try and tackle in our own half, how prophetic was that? He fouled one of theirs shortly afterwards towards the edge of our box and from the free kick Godden gets his second. All of a sudden the task of getting back into the game had become a lot more difficult. However in true Southend fashion some slick passing between Coxy and then Bunn enabled Hopper to tap home, 1-2, we’re back in it, woo hoo! It was starting to be one way traffic towards their goal after that for a bit and on the 75th minute McLaughlin slots home after more good work from Coxy and Ben this time. 2-2, yeah, we’ve got out of jail, well done Blues. I have to say I thought we would see this one out at that stage, but no, where would the fun be in that? Off Peterborough trotted and duly picked up their third goal and the winner on 87 minutes. When the 4th official signalled 4 minutes of extra time I was still hopeful, but not to be. Strangely, we left the ground not as disappointed as we should have done because we had really given it a go, but Peterborough proved why they are top of the league (you’re having a larf) by wanting to win more than us and by fielding probably the biggest back four I have seen in a long while, including the bloke doing the Steve Foster impersonation (who? ask your dad).

Peformance wise it was good to see Ben has discovered he can put in first time crosses instead of always going for the drag back, Mantom will be great when he is fully fit and Dieng gives us some much needed class in midfield. I’ll leave the manager to decide what to do about the rest of the lads, but if it were me then maybe a few changes for the away game at Shrewsbury.

At least he can control the ball and pick a pass. What does Robinson do?

Totally agree, hence my reason for sticking up for Cox.

IMO Hopper was poor today, started putting himself about in the first 10 minutes, then stopped. Ok, he scored the goal (though nearly made a hash of it) but was far less involved than Cox.

McCoulsky should have come on for Hopper and that's it; Cox should have been left on.

I missed most of the first half thanks to iFollow playing up.

From what I did see we looked threatening when playing the ball along the ground and using the wide players. When we were panicked we resorted to aimless hoofs up the pitch to either Hopper or Cox competing with at least two defenders and it went nowhere.

We drew level using the width to get dangerous balls into the box but as soon as we drew level it all stopped and we went back to hoofing the ball upfield again. I'm not sure if that was us settling for the point as others have said or because Peterborough decided to go for the win and put us under more pressure but it was frustrating to watch.

After the first two games dominating and not really getting anything for the domination I had faith that our luck would change and those dominant performances would be rewarded with goals and, more importantly, wins. After yesterday's game, the faith is starting to disappear. I understand we have injuries, suspensions and international call ups eating away at our squad but the team on the pitch, for the most part, are still creating chances that we just seem unable to take until we are chasing the game.

Defensively, every time we concede a free kick near the opposition penalty box or concede a corner the opposition are odds on to score and that has not improved or changed since the first game against Doncaster.

As for the players, Coker, Mantom, Hopper and Dieng were the standouts for me. Particularly Hopper who was often battling two giant centre backs on his own with the ball being lobbed onto his head. A few times he flicked the ball on or brought it down to where a striker should be running onto the ball only for Cox to be on his heels. I can't help but think that someone with a goal instinct like McCoulsky may have profited from those half-chances.

For all the doom and gloom it could easily have been a game that went the other way but I have said that after a number of games this season so it is starting to get a bit old.

Seems to me you just need a few basics to do well in L1.
1) Make yourself difficult to beat
2) Make use of your set pieces
3) Make sure you take your chances

Peterborough tick all 3 of those boxes. So far we haven't ticked any of them.

Looks like Turner will be our new lad to target from the stands. Most people didn't even pick him in any of the team prediction threads. Yesterday he was my MOM......No it wasn't a mistake for their 3rd during the build up. He was a full stretch to cut out a dangerous through ball. So it was a clearance/intetrception, rather than a mistake. For a game poised at 2-2 they reacted much quicker and punished us.

There was a few minutes when they were 2-0 up when it looked like it could easily be 3 or 4 and it was Turner who kept us in the match at that stage. Plenty of good defending and heading through most of the second half.

Thought Bunn looked good on his full debut, Like all wide player he did drift out at time but was very positive when he got the chance.

I know everyone screams for changes in the modern game but yesterday proved, firstly they are not always needed. Secondly, they don't always work when you do finally make them.

With all the players missing, injured or not match fit (Mantom Deing) we will clearly struggle to get any sort of form going. feels rather unfair to not get at least 1 point from the 3 league losses at home.

Oh and more bad news I have heard we probably won't be ever seeing Sam Barrett in a Southend shirt...….Could be a career ending injury

A couple of points on the ref: generally I thought he had a good game, easily one of the better referees we’ve had the past couple seasons.

However, he let himself down with some very odd (and incorrect) decisions. A couple of such instances in the second half were comical: first one, we get a free kick outside the box, fairly central, and he clearly marks out 8.5yds and, faced by a mountainous Posh wall, decides to use the shaving foam and mark the line there! A shortwhile after that Posh are caught offside, 5yds inside our half, close to the dugouts. Game is held up whilst a substitution is made (I forget which team) and the ref then “resets” the ball 5yds in their half...for offside!!

Still, I’m not grumbling too much, I’d definitely welcome I’m back to Roots Hall. So much better than that muppet let week...

Strangely, we left the ground not as disappointed as we should have done because we had really given it a go, but Peterborough proved why they are top of the league (you’re having a larf) by wanting to win more than us and by fielding probably the biggest back four I have seen in a long while, including the bloke doing the Steve Foster impersonation (who? ask your dad).

skysports-steve-foster-brighton_4141128.jpg

Defensively, every time we concede a free kick near the opposition penalty box or concede a corner the opposition are odds on to score and that has not improved or changed since the first game against Doncaster.

Doncaster this season? It goes back much further than that - several seasons in fact!

Oh and more bad news I have heard we probably won't be ever seeing Sam Barrett in a Southend shirt...….Could be a career ending injury

We heard this last week but didn't feel it ought to be put out on social media. They don't know for sure yet though and everyone is obviously hoping that it's not.

7 Deing good game
7 Mantom good game
8 Bunn good game
7 Hopper good game
8 Bruce Forsyth....

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell was left ‘hurting’ following the Shrimpers’ 3-2 defeat against table-topping Peterborough United on Saturday.

More...

Back