• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OK.

He got less of one at the end, as he was moaning at the ref for the last 20 minutes!

McGlashan 8 - Just how well did he do for the penalty. Love the way he just keeps on going, even when they tried to pull him down outside the box.
McGlashan is a terrier. One thing I like about him a lot is how, after a tackle, he bounces right up onto his feet and starts looking for the ball. More than a few times this season, I've seen both him and the opponent he was in a challenge with end up on the floor, and he picks himself up and nabs the ball before anyone gets to it. As often as not the opposing player is still lying down as he's kicking the ball.

^
Perfect description, that.

He did the same for his goal at home to Sheffield United.

Something I've really started to admire about his play.

Theo did the same. On that run late on, the Oldham fella was wrestling with him, but Theo just bulldozed through and shrugged him off!

Last edited:
Cheers ref....... you spurred us on with your total ineptitude, only after not sending their bloke off for being the last man, and then sending off Lenny for what looked like a 50/50 challenge did we start playing like we can..... believe!!!

Do hope Phil brown takes a long hard look at Lennys red card .Could not see from our Angle just how much contact there was .before putting in an appeal which I'm sure he will . But the bigger question is how did there player stay on the pitch when he brought cox down when he was clearly the last man and stopped cox going on one on one with the keeper ?????

I was right infront of it and if i didnt know better it was such a good selfie it looked pre planned.
Great shot of them and yes it would be great to see it
Out of interest I would love to see that pic... If anyone has it can they share it (with the kid's permissions obvs). It did look as if the stewards were looking at his phone so I hope they didn't delete it.

If you look on official website and then go to Wordsworth's twitter page there's a picture of the players having the selfie with the boy but not the actual selfie

First 70 minutes, tough to watch, Oldham especially second half parked the bus. No doubt the subs and sending off changed the game. Not for the first time Theo changed the game, great play for rangers tap in and a quite brilliant header for his goal. Lennys challenge, initial thought a Red, need to see it again before judging further. Ref quite simply the worst we've had for many many years, how did Banks not get sent off and he certainly wasn't a homer. Only gave the penalty after Lino gave it despite being in a better position. So as expected a tough afternoon, but good teams find a way to win these games and that what we did. Huge game on Tuesday followed by another Saturday. Every win, every point vital here in.

We were poor for 70 minutes, then amazing.
We were flat, poor and Oldham were the better team. The odds you'd of got on 3-0 at the red. To me it looked justified, looked late, high and reckless.
Ref was poor but after the red he gave us everything.
Robinson was my man of the match. Atkinson and McLaughlin didn't get anything done, Flash and Theo were superb and totally changed the game. Anton was superb and Wordsworth put in a massive shift as well as putting in quality in the final third

Remember all those people complaining about Theo Robinson signing? Well he showed his class today, quality signing and exactly 110% what we needed

Impact subs last week, and the same this week...what's going on? We were poor for 70, I thought MAF was going to come on, the game was mad.

Never thought we was winning this one when we got the Lenny sending off, Timlin looked good, shouting at Ferdinand to squeeze up, we are lucky to have a player like Timlin, he is a captain without the armband.

(Ps Lenny did a nasty studs up tackle the other week, in front of the east stand, it could have been red.)

Impact subs last week, and the same this week...what's going on? We were poor for 70, I thought MAF was going to come on, the game was mad.

Never thought we was winning this one when we got the Lenny sending off, Timlin looked good, shouting at Ferdinand to squeeze up, we are lucky to have a player like Timlin, he is a captain without the armband.

(Ps Lenny did a nasty studs up tackle the other week, in front of the east stand, it could have been red.)

I didn't think we were awful I thought Oldham played well and didn't let us play in the slightest.

Saw the kid outside; it wasn't a picture he took it was a video of the celebration with the players. Said he just got a ticking off by the stewards but was worried that they were going to call the police. Cracking video though.

Well I wasn't expecting that!! Was that game an April fools prank?? Did I dream it?

I am not sure if I have known a more bonkers couple of weeks at Southend. Who'd have put odds on a 3-0 win for that game, and what odds would there have been for a 3-0 win with 10 men and all 3 goals in the last 20 minutes and coming after the red card...:'(:thumbsup: we probably could have retired on that one!

Many of the comments say much of what I would have said, so no point repeating. Thought that Ranger was fantastic today, definately repaying the club's faith in him. The new loan keeper looked very solid and confident, was very impressed with how he came straight in and started bossing the defence - I know he didn't have a lot to do, but what he did was cool and collected. Thought the ref was terrible, and most of the decisions in our favour seemed to come from the linesmen. How their player wasn't sent off for that foul on Cox is beyond me, one of their players was swinging fists at Coker, and they both got booked, which was a joke and Lennys red was iffy I thought. Would not be surprised to see that overturned. Still, did us a huge favour in an odd way - what a reaction from the rest of the team!

Performances of the day go to Anton, who was a class above, Ranger, who was taking no end of grief from their defenders, Theo was magnificent and MgLashan for creating the penalty out of nothing!

A very good afternoon indeed ��

Yep, pretty much how I saw it.

Oldham were a big, strong side who closed down quickly and marked tight.

We were saying at half-time, that they were the sort of side we needed to try and turn and get behind.

PB must have felt the same, sticking McGl and Theo on at the first opportunity in the second-half.

Do hope Phil brown takes a long hard look at Lennys red card .Could not see from our Angle just how much contact there was .before putting in an appeal which I'm sure he will . But the bigger question is how did there player stay on the pitch when he brought cox down when he was clearly the last man and stopped cox going on one on one with the keeper ?????
istening to browns post match interview I very much got the impression we will not be appealing it. Brown had seen it back and reading between the lines thought it was a fair decision.that was my take anyway-hope i am wrong

Cagey game for 70 mins, The first half was pretty even, Oldham came closest to scoring with a great 30 yard effort, our best chance was a Ranger header. We looked a bit sluggish and too reliant on a punt to Ranger hoping something would come off.

Strangely Lenny's (probably deserved) sending off helped us. Oldham committed more men forward and left the space for Theo who gave Nile a tap in! :clap:

Super finish from Theo after that, and Jermaine won a deserved pen too. Has any other team down to 10 men won 3-0 after 70 mins? I doubt it! COYB!

Walton 7 - Didn't have too much to do but his kicking was good and he took a few high balls confidently. I liked the fact he wasn't afraid to bark a few orders out to the likes of Anton too!

Demetriou 6 - Not too much to do defensively, messed up one (admittedly over hit ) pass from McGlashen when he should have done better.
Thompson 7 - Did well, but I do think he gets too tight to his marker. Against better opposition I fear he'll get turned too easily.
Ferdinand 8 - Class above as usual :Worthy:.
Coker 8 - Best player first half, good second half too. Unlucky not to score following a good move after half time.

Atkinson 6 - Work rate spot on as usual, lacked the attacking threat needed.
Leonard 7 - Very good until that poorly judged tackle. I have to admit it looked a red, though a more moderate ref might have given a yellow. With Mr 'look at me' today, we had no chance. :sad:
Wordsworth 7 - First half he was mediocre and gave a poor yellow away. Second half he improved massively and made a few few great forward passes. Good pen too!
Mclaughlin 6 - Didn't do anything wrong, but was a bit subdued. Good sub from PB in my opinion to take him off.

Cox 6 - Some good touches, but not his day today. One good half chance in the second half he slashed at badly
Ranger 8 Joint MOM - I think we were too quick to play long balls to Nile. Having said that he was excellent, especially second half when the ref started penalising Clarke for his persistent fouling.

Subs
McGlashan 7 - Made a difference, I liked his hassling and won a deserved penalty.
Robinson 8 Joint MOM - Fantastic! Made one and scored one. He's putting pressure on Brown to get a starting place now. Theo, Theo, Theo!
Timlin 7 - Shored up the defense and not afraid to make a tackle.

Nothing to lose v Bolton now, let's go for the jugular and get another 3 points! :happy:

Back