• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good report 'OBL' though, like 'Swiss' said, I think the young lad incident was not a major issue.
No, just a bit of fun, I know, but there is another side to this kind of thing. I am glad that he wasn't evicted from the ground and was allowed to go back to the crowd. Like I said though, there was no steward reaction and there may be a fine. It's not something I want to see happen too often.

I think the young lad incident was not a major issue.

In itself the incident wasn't a big deal, in fact it was quite charming. However the problem with it is that it gives license to some older bonehead to run on to the pitch and just get a telling off. I remember the days when such folk ran onto football pitches regularly, sometimes assaulting opposition players verbally or even physically. I wouldn't want to see such incidents again.

No doubt that Clarke is a good professional but pace was never his strength - I remember Spencer racing past him to score away at Huddersfield ...... and that was some years ago. Fortune was taking the mickey out of him for the away game earlier in the season with little tricks in front of him ...... add to that the foul for the penalty and I wonder how much longer Peter has at this level.

We seem to play better after giving our opponents a start. Whether its 2 goals or playing with only 10 men. I suggest that in future we give teams a goal start and take a player off at half time to even things up !!

No, just a bit of fun, I know, but there is another side to this kind of thing. I am glad that he wasn't evicted from the ground and was allowed to go back to the crowd. Like I said though, there was no steward reaction and there may be a fine. It's not something I want to see happen too often.

In itself the incident wasn't a big deal, in fact it was quite charming. However the problem with it is that it gives license to some older bonehead to run on to the pitch and just get a telling off. I remember the days when such folk ran onto football pitches regularly, sometimes assaulting opposition players verbally or even physically. I wouldn't want to see such incidents again.

Yep, point taken and accepted.

It's that fine line between hopping over the barrier to celebrate with the players (we've seen that with away fans at RH this season) and looking to get on the pitch to cause trouble.

Agreed the stewards were slow. Not sure a lot of people realized what was happening until the lad appeared from the crowd of players.

The funny thing was the length of time we were allowed to celebrate that goal. The Oldham players must have wondered what was going on!

He's just signed another two year contract with Oldham.

A good passer of the ball he will get slower and would be lost without holding - he must have been penalised 7 or 8 times for holding.
A good passer of the ball PK, i dont remember him being great shakes at passing the ball out of defence when he was with us.

Yes I played in the Southend Sunday league for many a year.

​A few comments...no need for a full review (particularly on the ref) as it has been done to death already.

I was really not looking forward to the game....we've been starting sluggishly at home recently against a team unbeaten in 10 playing for the draw looked like it had 0-0 written all over it....I was right too until the ref took over, then the final 30 minutes became unmissable and made up for the first 70 mins.

A few comments about McG and Robinson doing well and Akinson/McL underperforming....but that is the modern game, Atkinson and McL may not have been very effective, but they did the spadework to gave the 2 pacier guys a chance to come on and change the game..

Cokers booking - not a silly booking - should not have been a booking at all, it was right in front of me.....that prize *** (Green?) made a point of holding the ball and Coker so he couldn't take the freekick. As with most things the ref wasn't looking and just copped out by waving a yellow card at both.....that Green was an insidious little **** the whole game, cheating, winding up his opponents and going around grinning at everyone when Leonard was sent off....I made a point of looking at his ugly mug as he was subbed at 2-0 down.....he was like Craig Bellamy without the talent.

Ollie Banks - cracking player, he was the best player on the pitch for the first hour...he's a bit like Oldhams Wordsworth though great talent but struggles to get around the pitch at times....if they were more athletic both would be playing well above this level.

It will be interesting/scary to see how we do without Leonard for a few games...the sending off aside, I thought yesterday was one of his weaker performances all round, but I've said this before Ryan Leonard is vital to this team and how they go about their business whether he is playing well or not...I rate Timlin highly and presumably he will be his replacement but we don't have anyone else who can do Leonards job.....we shall see.

Would agree Ranger for MOM, though would also concur Robinson changed the game.

People talk on here about the fact that we have an overall stronger squad this season - we missed Leonard when he was not available last season ............ and we shall now see how much he will be missed for the Bolton, Charlton and Chesterfield games.

Watching the highlights just now i remember holding my breath when Mcglashan went in for the tackle with there left back in the lead up to the penalty incident. The ref was so unpredictable that i did half expect him to brandish a second red card, particularly as Jermaine did launch himself into that tackle somewhat and his right foot was off the ground. The ref could easily have convinced himself that Mcglashan wasn't totally in control of himself. Thankfully he waved play on!

​Ollie Banks - cracking player, he was the best player on the pitch for the first hour...he's a bit like Oldhams Wordsworth though great talent but struggles to get around the pitch at times....if they were more athletic both would be playing well above this level..

I find it so interesting that Wordsworth's lack of mobility is almost accepted as fact on here.

According to Chris Phillips' tweet yesterday:

The GPS system Blues use shows that Wordsworth runs between 12km and 13km in every game he plays. That's in the top two in the team.

I find it so interesting that Wordsworth's lack of mobility is almost accepted as fact on here.

According to Chris Phillips' tweet yesterday:

The GPS system Blues use shows that Wordsworth runs between 12km and 13km in every game he plays. That's in the top two in the team.
Personally I made a point of not using the word "mobility". It's not purely about how much ground you travel it's how effective you are over the pitch over the course of a game - there's no point running 15km every game if you are not running to the right places at the right time. To be clear I am a huge fan of Wordsworth, I love his style and enjoy watching him play and would have him in the side every game if he was 100% fit - however you have to accept that if you play Wordsworth as 1 of a midfield 2 then you're going to sacrifice presence in the centre of the pitch...that's not a criticism of him, just an acknowledgement of the sort of player he is.
Look at yesterdays game...how often did an Oldham body pick up a ball in the middle with no-one within 10 feet of him, how many times did an Oldham body pick up the second ball from a challenge and have time to bring the ball under control? It happened a lot, and it would not have happened if we played a 5 man midfield, or if Timlin or Atkinson had been with Leonard in the middle......

I'm not suggesting for one minute that we should have played a 5 man midfield, or should have played Timlin instead of Wordsworth. It's a balancing act in getting the balance of the team right and as long as he continues to be effective from an attacking point of view he will continue to be worth his place in the team.

Back