• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-0 Port Vale

Took this game without really having to get into top gear, composed defensive performance though there were a couple of moments when I wished Daniels was still with us. Clohessy and Phillips both very quietly impressive and Barker much improved over recent games. Gilbert frustrates the life out of me, he's pretty good at defending and getting forward but he still hoofs the ball far too much for my liking. Hall, Timlin and Kalala all did ok, I thought Martin was a little quiet but he needs time to "bed in", I really like the look of Benyon and he has the definite ability to run at defences. Dicko did ok too.

Anyone any idea what the Port Vale protest was about? Thought they were one of the poorer teams to play at RH this season, despite having a couple of man mountains at the back. The og was one of the best I've seen - quite simply brilliant! Great goals by Dicko and Phillips, especially.

Slightly disappointed not to have chased it harder in the 2nd half, we could have brought someone on to inject a bit of something to get things motivated again but I didn't really have an issue with the simple passing we did towards the end, it meant we kept possession. All in all though, a good day at the office, right back up there and hopefully Crawley will now be put off with thinking about the FA Cup.

As comfortable and easy a win as you can get. Good to get a clean sheet,a home win and boost the goal difference a bit. The only disappointment was that when they went down to 10 men, we didn't really try to get another one which we could well have done. When you're at the top of the table, goal difference can be significant come the end of the season. Nevertheless, nice to see us properly turn someone over, which we've not done much this season, and to see us play some more football on the floor. The early first goal certainly helped. Hall and Clohessy ran them ragged down the right in the 1st half and Dickinson and Benyon put themselves about up front and caused them problems. Vale didn't really threaten at all, to be fair they did play it on the deck mostly but they lacked pace and quality. Mediocre League 2 team with a lot of big lumps. I think the only save Morris had to make was when Richards was offside.

In the 2nd half they came out of the blocks quickly and gave it a go. We got a bit sloppy and it looked a slightly worrying for a moment but the 3rd goal did the job. Definitely the best own goal I've ever seen at a Southend match, although I don't remember many. For those who weren't there, Gilbert crossed it into the penalty area but no Southend player was anywhere near it, then Owen kindly decided to slot it into the back of the net for us. Can only assume he was caught in two minds as to what to do. Then when the red card came, which I actually thought was a bit harsh as he seemed to get the ball for the 2nd yellow from where I was, it just compounded what must have been a pretty miserable day for Vale. As the bloke next to me kept saying, "these are terrible." Surprised PS didn't make any subs but thought his line-up today was good with a good balance to it. Overall much-improved from Monday. One final thing, I felt a bit unsure about the hero-worshipping of Mohsni as he was warming up. Yes he's a great character and I'm pleased he's staying but isn't there a risk that he might think he can keep getting away with his misdemeanours because the fans will still adore him anyway? Don't forget he practically cost us a trip to Anfield. Ratings:

Morris 6 - Had little to do but had no problems on his return to the side except dislocating his finger. Solid handling and kicking. Made a good save from Richards when he was offside.

Clohessy 7 - Enjoyed a lot of space down the right, particularly after the red card, and got forward into good positions lots.

Phillips 7 - 8th goal of the season, superb return for a centre-back who isn't the biggest. Seems to just read where Hall's balls go. Solid defensively.

Barker 7 - Strong and dealt with Richards well.

Gilbert 7 - Impressive. Got forward and supported the wingers well and his cross led the OG.

Hall 8 - Took advantage of a shoddy defence and tore them to shreds. 2 more assists with 2 more quality crosses.

Kalala 5 - Looked off the pace, not as influential as usual.

Timlin 7 - Full of energy and tenacity and got into some good shooting positions outside the area.

Martin 6 - Bit of a disappointing debut. Tried things but not much came off. Didn't look confident which is understandable. Give him time though, he's not played much recently and his presence alone made the team play it on the ground and down the wings more.

Benyon 6 - Looks promising and was more involved than against Dagenham but don't think he's had a proper chance in front of goal yet.

Dickinson 7 - Very lively in the 1st half and good header for the goal. Faded in the 2nd half a bit but Vale struggled with him.

Ref 7 - Didn't notice him much which is a good sign. Let the game flow pretty well. Didn't fall for it when players went down easily (which Timlin was guilty of once) but I'd like to see McDonald's 2nd yellow again.

Enjoyed the performance today though! Atmosphere was quiet but good 3 points, very deserved.
Gilbert was impressive today, linked well with Martin on that left and played well.
Philips was excellent, not just talking about the goal but overall! How many is that for him now? He's got a great head on the ball.
Dickinson was man of the match in the 1st half for me, his efforts stood out throughout the 45 minutes, ran like anything, he has some great pace at times, tackling, passing, looked good and his goal.......The keeper could of done better but good to see him get on the score sheet.
Martin looks good, looks like he's got some skill up his sleeve and good pace but will be better once he finds his feet and style of our play a bit more.

Good result. First half we played well, very impressed with Dickinson.

Second half was poor we seemed to be going through the motions. Surprissed Luggy did not make any subs especially as we had the game won. Could and probably have given a few players a rest. Atmosphere was poor, probably the first time ever that the East stand has made more noise than the West and South!!!!!!!

Enjoyed the game today. No grumbles. Easy 3pts and a clean sheet

Morris 6.5...Dropped one, but tidy other than that. Nice to see him back

Clohessy 7...Right on top of his game
Phillips 7...Solid. Read the game well. Nice goal.
Barker 6.5...Him and Phillips were in total control. A couple of wayward passes, mind.
Gilbert 6.5...Ok. Got forward a bit more.
Hall 7...Another fine performance. Makes things happen.
Kalala 7...Continually broke up their play. A fine game.
Timlin 7..With Kalala holding, he was everywhere. Great engine. So pleased he's signed.
Martin 6...Didn't play too well, but I think he'll come good when fitter and given a few games.
Benyon 7...First time I have seen him. Bags of energy and looks a real find.
Dickinson 8...My MOTM. I have been critical of him before, but today I thought he led the line well.

Ref 8...Not too bad, as they go..

Very pleased with that, the defence were excellent, Colhessey was tireless again, Barker & Phillips rock solid & I thought Gilbert had a good game. True he hoofs too many times when he doesn't need to, but having Martin in front of him now he may change his style a bit. Some people around me in the East Stand seem to want him to make the slightest mistake so they can get on his back, bit sad really.

Martin showed signs of having some quality about him, few more games under his belt & I reckon he's going to be a bit of a handful. Hall made some nice runs at defenders, Timlin was as industrious as ever with a couple of lovely paases through their defence in the second half. Kalala had a solid first half but I thought he struggled in the second a bit.

Dickinson & Benyon both had very good games and I think this has to be first choice front two now. Dicko was great in the air today & was a general pain in the arse for their defence & Benyon looks like his getting his sights in, goal going to come soon.

But you know what makes today really sweet? SkyBet gave me a free £10 bet today, so I stuck it on us to win 3-0 @14/1..:smile:

I'm not quite understanding the Gilbert bashing on here.. thought he had a good game, and after watching Prosser on Monday, at least Gilbert can defend!

Not sure whether the victory was down to Port Vale being so poor, or us playing well. Maybe both? But seeing the ball on the deck, very refreshing!

Morris 6 - Wasn't really tested, good handling.
Clohessy 7 - Another solid display, get's alot of joy overlapping the right hand side.
Phillips 7 - Great header for the goal and composed at the back.
Barker 7 - Much more like the Barker we know.
Gilbert 7 - Happy with his contribution. Recieve's harsh criticism, yes he hoofs it alot, but I don't see many players giving him options like on the other flank.
Hall 7 - Looked lively in the first half, another two assists, quality delivery!
Kalala 5 - Really don't rate this guy, would rather have Grant in there breaking up play.
Timlin 7 - Non stop, his work rate is amazing!
Martin 5 - Pretty poor debut, but given the lack of match fitness, that's understandable. Look forward to seeing what he can do in the future.
Benyon 6 - Tidy once again, hopefully get some chances in the next couple of games.
Dickinson 7 - Good first half, faded in the second. Open play goal!

Why didn't Sturrock use any subs? Bit of a strange one for me.

Well that was as close to a stroll as you will get. Vale were surprisingly awful. Thought we did well in spells, but surprised nobody has mentioned Timlins performance - immense!

Morris 6
Clohessey 7
Barker 8
Phillips 8 - thought both centre halves were totally commanding
Gilbert 6 - too many aimless hoofs, but I think that will improve the more Martin plays as you could see Gilbert change hs mind and knock it short when Martin showed for him.
Hall 7
Timlin 9 - all over the place! Tackling, passing, shooting. Reminds me of frank lampard in style at times.
Jpk 6 - I like Jpk, but thought on the ball he was shocking today. Extra mark for the cross for dicko.
Martin 6 - steady start and showed flashes of what he can do.
Dicko 8 - close to MOM for me. Brilliant performance and textbook frontman play.
Benyon 6 - thought he was poor. Reminds me of Paterson so much, which is a worry. Fail to see how he got so many goals for torquay.

Overall though, a good solid performance and I'll take that every week!

Finally, have to agree with Shrimpboy above. Didn't like the Mohsni hero worship at all, still got bridges to build for me...

Well that was as close to a stroll as you will get. Vale were surprisingly awful. Thought we did well in spells, but surprised nobody has mentioned Timlins performance - immense!

Absolutely. Timlin is the main man in the middle of the pitch now and it would seem it's a case of finding his best partner. Kalala got the nod today and his discipline allowed Timlin to run the game, popping up everywhere. He's a proper footballer and it's a relief to finally get him in permanently.

I think your having a laugh - I would love to see his completed pass percentatage - must be no more than 15%! Every ball he hoofed up field went to a Port Vale player. I suppose he had one shot on target in the first half!!! The only thing that is consistent about Gilbert is that he blames everyone else for his **** ups and is total garbage. The sooner we get a new left back the better!

though there were a couple of moments when I wished Daniels was still with us.

Couldn't disagree with that more, Kay. I had no issue with Daniels, but I realised today how much I missed Morris. Couple of good saves, decent command of area, accurate kicking (we've missed that) and some quick distribution out of hand to launch attacks. Welcome back, Southend's Number 1!

Absolutely. Timlin is the main man in the middle of the pitch now and it would seem it's a case of finding his best partner. Kalala got the nod today and his discipline allowed Timlin to run the game, popping up everywhere. He's a proper footballer and it's a relief to finally get him in permanently.

quite simple, if kalala plays well SUFC plays well, he stops the oppo playing and his energy in doing so is excellent, and he today he passed the ball very well. Lets timlin play his game safe in the knowledge his partner is doing a lot of the dirty work. Was not impressed with martin looked nervous and clumsy on the ball-one or two moments apart, obviously time to settle in etc, many on here praising benyon......dont see it myself even less of a goal threat than harris (who i think should be starting btw)

I think your having a laugh - I would love to see his completed pass percentatage - must be no more than 15%! Every ball he hoofed up field went to a Port Vale player. I suppose he had one shot on target in the first half!!! The only thing that is consistent about Gilbert is that he blames everyone else for his **** ups and is total garbage. The sooner we get a new left back the better!

You're kidding me? See Sky240286 for a decent assessment of Gilbert. Every time he gets the ball, he never has an option. Entire second half, he'd receive the ball, and have no option, forcing him to hit it long. He did very well considering the complete lack of support he received on the pitch.

Back