• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-0 Port Vale

The main problem with Gilbert & Martin was that Martin wasn't rarely given a ball to run onto. most of the passes required him to wait for it to get to him or, as was the case most of the time, Martin had his back to a defender & had to play it back.

Early days, so hopefully it will get sorted in training next week & Martin will rip the Cobblers apart!

Can’t really understand how anyone could find anything negative to say about yesterday’s game… The only thing I came away feeling disappointed about was Morris’ potential injury to his finger. A very competent and professional performance against a shambolic Port Vale side that looked completely lost.

Sturrock picked our best eleven yesterday. If each of those players is fit, that’s the team I want to see selected unless there’s a specific, tactical reason to warrant otherwise. There’s balance across the middle, a number of options for movement and passing and just the right blend of creativity and workmanship. The midfield we had on show yesterday screams of promotion-clinching ability, but the true strength of it is the balance. With Ryan Hall our only natural winger in recent weeks, we’ve tended to become lopsided and it has been too easy for teams to cancel Hall out, leaving us trying to engineer attacks with three industrious midfielders. David Martin’s presence means the opposition’s defensive line is instantly more stretched, creating bigger gaps for Dickinson and Benyon to operate within.

In the centre, the midfield pairing of Kalala and Timlin looked fantastic. Kalala’s presence instantly settles us as a team far better than Grant or Ferdinand’s has in recent weeks. You know what you’re getting from JPK, he’s arguably our most consistent performer as he knows exactly what his role commands and he never tries to expand on it. At this level, that’s all you can ask for. His dispossessing and interceptions were timely, accurate and concise, leaving us to win the midfield battle yesterday even when Vale attempted to go with five across and three at the back (for all of 10 minutes, admittedly).

Having JPK in the side brings out the best in Timlin, who absolutely flourished safe in the knowledge that there’s a stable presence behind him. He was everywhere yesterday, picking the ball up in the middle and stringing passes to both wingers, getting into the box when able to and he even popped up at left-back on a few occasions. I walked out of the ground trying to remember a more complete midfield performance, and the only comparison I can draw is when Luke Guttridge tore Yeovil to bits in *that* second half a number of years ago. A truly fantastic acquisition, and his barking of tactical instructions in the first half was a very positive sign. He kept instructing Martin and Hall to get wider so we could stretch them out a bit further, something which ultimately led to Dickinson getting in around the back of the centre-half to win the corner from which we scored.

I was also impressed by David Martin, who portrayed some nice little touches and movement without being fully involved in everything we had – which is to be expected when you’ve only been at the club a week. He looked a little confidence shy and a little rusty, his touch especially let him down on a few occasions, but that’ll return to him in time. His movement inside and ball to Gilbert in the lead up to the sumptuous OG was great, and the balance he offered us with a natural left-foot in the opposition’s third was much needed.

Martin’s inclusion instantly released the shackles from Ryan Hall, who took to the game with a renewed vigour that had perhaps been missing in recent weeks. He was visibly lifted by having just the one defender to handle, and he looked completely instrumental. A few of his passes, particularly to Clohessy, looked to be hit too hard, but his deadball delivery was sublime and the corner for the opener was simply perfect.

The whole right-hand side of our attack at the moment looks great. The understanding between Clohessy and Hall just goes from strength to strength, and when Timlin slides over to join in, you’re left with our three best “footballers” playing together in a very neat triangle. Some of the football played down that flank yesterday was amongst the best I’ve seen from this side, particularly the neat play that lead towards Hall’s shot in around the 30th minute which the ‘keeper initially spilled. More of the same, and we’ll be unbearable.

Speaking of Clohessy, you won’t see a more competent example of full-back play all season. I only noticed him make one error, which was early on in the first half when he deemed a ball too high for the opposition winger to claim, but he tracked back well to cover for his mistake. He gets forward well and his deliveries are vastly improved on last season. The lad’s in sparkling form at the moment, and if any scouts had travelled down to watch Hall, they’d have gone back with a sidebar regarding Clohessy.

That isn’t to say the rest of the defense weren’t adequate or impressive, because they were – particularly Mark Phillips who looks more and more like the Mark Phillips of September/October with each passing game. Commanding and decisive, he’s one of several leaders we have on the pitch now. His tackling is well-timed and executed, and his mistakes are very rare at the moment. Well taken header for his goal, but it was put right on his head and just needed to shape it into the net.

Barker looked a little off still, though. He was fine defensively, but his distribution looked shaken and nervous – almost as if his numerous slips on Monday had knocked his confidence on the ball, especially considering he’s usually happy to dribble out with the ball first. Might’ve been an instruction from PS after Monday too, as I know he can’t stand the ball-playing centre-half.

Bit of Gilbert-knocking going on here, which I kind of expected given how he seems to have adopted this hate-figure role for daring to say that Mohsni might not be the best person to have at this football club a few weeks ago, but there was nothing wrong with his performance yesterday. The balls he plays over the top and onto the left channel aren’t always successful, but they serve a definite purpose that makes much more sense when we’ve a natural winger on the left. They’re knocked into an area that causes the full-back or centre-half to draw into that area, meaning that they have to commit to the ball or risk having a winger charge at them. Under pressure, the defender has two options – he can either clear it aimlessly, more often than not giving us back the ball, or he can clear it into touch, which gives us an opportunity to work something into the box. It might not be pretty, but Gilbert doesn’t possess the same attributes as Sean Clohessy, so it’s probably his best possible delivery. Kalala shows for the ball at times, but that pass inside can be suicidal.

Quick word for Morris, who I thought looked incredibly sharp for a ‘keeper who’s been out of the first-team for so long. His distribution was better than Daniels’, he had an understanding with our defensive line and his reflexes looked as if he hadn’t been away. Good to see him back.

Up top, and I thought Dickinson played with admirable temperament considering that he was constantly getting kicked, nudged and pushed by a Port Vale defence that looked very rough and ready. The big #25 was utterly hopeless and was more interested in arriving late on Dickinson in the air, but Dicko wasn’t having any of it. He won the vast majority of his headers and played some very neat link-up play with Benyon, particularly in the build-up to our first. He took his header exceptionally well to put us two up, and generally fought well all afternoon. Still some detractors in the crowd who want him carted off, but I’ve resigned myself to the fact now that, much like BBBC last season, these idiots will never take to a committed, hard-working targetman with a good touch. (some news on BBBC, I understand that after a post-surgery infection gave him some grief, he’s had his first pain-free week in some time and is now confident of seeing some reserve football before this season’s end).

More of the same from Benyon too, who continues to impress me with his touch, passing and movement. He puts it about too, an admirable feat considering his size and stature, and was a constant thorn in Vale’s side. He’s like an irritating gnat who won’t leave you with a minutes peace, constantly striving to put you under pressure. Unfortunate to see him hauled down for the sending off as he was pretty much through on goal, and I’d have liked to see what he can do when presented with a one-on-one.

Overall, we completely blew Vale away yesterday, but it was never difficult or even in doubt. They were shambolic at best, with the only player escaping with any credit being Griffith. Their JPK equivalent looked good on the ball and composed in spite of the shambles around him. We bossed the game from start to finish, starved Richards of any service up front and done the job needed with consummate and professional ease. A similar standard of performance next week will see us claim all three points and, with any luck, give us the impetus into an all-important fortnight at the end of the month.

Absolutely agree with Big Shrimp. I lost count of the number of times Martin and Hall had their back to the goal when recieving the pass down the line. As wingers they will not cause problems for defenders facing that direction all the time. But it's great to have two out and out wingers and to see the team using BOTH wings to attack for a change.

Good to hear all the positives, didn't go to this one but will make up by going next week.

Lots of split opinions over Gilbert, I will believe the positive ones, as I know a lot of people are just on his case constantly.

Also looking at the gallery on the OS, got to love how 4-5 of the pictures are all taken up with Dickinsons passion after goals are scored, love the passion! Do believe he looked a bit cheesed off in one of them when seeing Phillips just scored, they must have a little bit of banter going on seeing they are close on the scoring charts.

Top post from EastStandBlue.

I'd add that I thought Clohessey was excellent yesterday - great defensively and great going forward.

This isn't a criticism of Daniels, who I thought had done very well for us, but Morris was far superior in his distribution than Daniels with a greater variety of throw-outs to the full backs and better kicking.

So pleased for once that at home this season we've started a game properly and got under the away team's noses. We were unlucky not to be 3-0 up at HT.

Second half a bit quiet but getting the win at home was very important. A few away games and you'd hope with our away performances this season we should be able to pick up some useful points until our next home game next month.

From a PV perspective I'd be a tad annoyed with their no 4 who was arguing with the ref and Timlin whilst PV were defending the corner which ultimately led to Phillips being unmarked for our first goal. Not a bright move - their players hadn't switched on when we finally took the kick.

It was certainly a three goal win today but the last home game (on Monday)was a 1-1 draw against Dagenham,which you've conveniently airbrushed from your account.That other win by a three goal margin was of course on New Year's Eve against AFC Dons.
Like you, I wasn't there today but I did see the game on Monday.That particular performance left me wondering why we're still in the top 3.
By all accounts, Vale are a poor side,on a terrible losing run and have problems both on and off the pitch.Yet they're still somewhat higher in the table than Dagenham currently are.Let's see how we get on at places like Northampton,before we start booking any promotion parties.
I get the impression that this particular PS side (as opposed to last season's)is good at grinding out results,even when they're not playing particularly well.
We won't be relegated this season but I don't think we're a certainty for automatic promotion yet either.
(ps, I saw rather more than I would have liked, of both Alvin Martin's and Alan Little's teams).

And you've conveniently airbrushed the fact that Dagenham are on a very good run of form, as good as Vale's is bad. Personally speaking I would probably have taken 7 points from 9 on offer after our run of poor form in December. We're certainly not promotion certainties but I would argue that we are well placed and getting some good results. We do have the best goal difference in the division, we're scoring goals and beating teams convincingly. I'm enjoying this season a lot, I feel it's a shame a lot of our supporters don't feel the same way.

I was just pleased to see my first win of the season in six attempts!! :happy:

I was impressed with Benyon, I thought he looked lively and continued running after lost causes even when the game was effectively over after the sending-off. I was willing him to have a decent chance to score his first goal and, as ESB said, his best chance would probably have been had he not been brought down at the sending-off incident. I'm pretty sure he will get one soon, though, and that that will set him up to start scoring regularly.

It was our biggest win over Port Vale since our 4th Division championship-winning season in 1980/81 and our first League double of the season (with a potential 12 more on offer this year). It was also our first double over Port Vale in 45 years.

Up top, and I thought Dickinson played with admirable temperament considering that he was constantly getting kicked, nudged and pushed by a Port Vale defence that looked very rough and ready. The big #25 was utterly hopeless and was more interested in arriving late on Dickinson in the air, but Dicko wasn’t having any of it. He won the vast majority of his headers and played some very neat link-up play with Benyon, particularly in the build-up to our first. He took his header exceptionally well to put us two up, and generally fought well all afternoon. Still some detractors in the crowd who want him carted off, but I’ve resigned myself to the fact now that, much like BBBC last season, these idiots will never take to a committed, hard-working targetman with a good touch. (some news on BBBC, I understand that after a post-surgery infection gave him some grief, he’s had his first pain-free week in some time and is now confident of seeing some reserve football before this season’s end).

Personally speaking, I'm a big fan of Dicko's.However,I couldn't really see what BBBC added to last season's team apart from his goals.Frankly,the idea that he has "a good touch" is laughable,IMO.
I'm glad to hear that he's recovering well from his operation but unless he's fit enough to play some first team football before the end of the season, I'd be suprised if he's offered a new contract,(by SUFC at least).

And you've conveniently airbrushed the fact that Dagenham are on a very good run of form, as good as Vale's is bad. Personally speaking I would probably have taken 7 points from 9 on offer after our run of poor form in December. We're certainly not promotion certainties but I would argue that we are well placed and getting some good results. We do have the best goal difference in the division, we're scoring goals and beating teams convincingly. I'm enjoying this season a lot, I feel it's a shame a lot of our supporters don't feel the same way.

I agree that Daggers are currently on a good run of form.Also that 7 points from 9 is a good return.
What worried me most about that Dagenham match is that they were much more up for it than we were.As PS said in his post match interview, we were lucky to get a point and wouldn't have done so last season.As fbm says we don't entertain but we do grind out results.That's perhaps why a lot of our supporters aren't enjoying this season as much as you are.

Like you, I wasn't there today but I did see the game on Monday.That particular performance left me wondering why we're still in the top 3.

Perhaps you should not judge us on individual games then. Our position in the league table says more about our ability at this level than any single performance does.

Personally speaking, I'm a big fan of Dicko's.However,I couldn't really see what BBBC added to last season's team apart from his goals.Frankly,the idea that he has "a good touch" is laughable,IMO.
I'm glad to hear that he's recovering well from his operation but unless he's fit enough to play some first team football before the end of the season, I'd be suprised if he's offered a new contract,(by SUFC at least).

Why should his ability to play football this season impact on his chances to get a contract for next season? If there's a chance of getting him fit then Corr deserves another contract for what he did last year. From what I've seen he's better than anyone else we have on the books.

Perhaps you should not judge us on individual games then. Our position in the league table says more about our ability at this level than any single performance does.

What struck me about both the Daggers and (for long periods) the Plymouth home game last September was how we struggled to impose ourselves on teams who theoretically we should be beating easily because of our (and their) respective positions in the league table.

Why should his ability to play football this season impact on his chances to get a contract for next season? If there's a chance of getting him fit then Corr deserves another contract for what he did last year. From what I've seen he's better than anyone else we have on the books.

As far as BBBC is concerned, in the current harsh financial climate,as I said,I think he needs to demonstrate that's he's returned to full first team fitness this season.There's little room for sentiment in football.As for the idea that "he's better than anyone else on our books," I beg to differ.:nope:

Back