• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is it a case of Rees or Clifford?.............we can't have both? (Are they both similar?). Will Rees get another chance, only IF Clifford fails to impress in Spain???

Maybe there were only 2 spaces for trialists, one midfielder and one striker. Maybe it also depends on any other deals that might be happening with the other second signing that should have signed along with Coker or even that happens with Charlie Lee and JJ O'Toole.

Anyone else see a little bit of N*cky B***ey (spit) in Clifford? :thumbsup:

P.S. In his play not just his looks.

Nicky Bailey was someone who worked his way up from Sutton to Barnet to Southend to Charlton to Middlesborough.

Clifford seems to be working his way down from Chelsea to Leicester to Southend.

I prefer the odds on someone who has achieved trying to continue that success rather than someone dropping down to try and find success.

Lets face it no one here has seem him play, nor any of the triallists in a proper competitive game. If it was up to some people on here we would just sign people who look good on Youtube or Football Manager!

Lets face it no one here has seem him play, nor any of the triallists in a proper competitive game. If it was up to some people on here we would just sign people who look good on Youtube or Football Manager!

I've seen him play :smile: , Chelsea reserves vs Liverpool Reserves at Stamford Bridge , 2010 . I remember him playing alongside Josh McEachran (who was the player i wanted to watch most) . didn't look out of place , good pass on him , a bit like Frank Lampard

Nicky Bailey was someone who worked his way up from Sutton to Barnet to Southend to Charlton to Middlesborough.

Clifford seems to be working his way down from Chelsea to Leicester to Southend.

I prefer the odds on someone who has achieved trying to continue that success rather than someone dropping down to try and find success.
Achieve at a lower level or be not quite good enough (but seemingly impress enough to be called up to the full Ireland squad) at a much higher level. I'd rather go for a Clifford over someone who has been consistently good in the Conference South.

I meant similarities in his play, ie. from the video it looks like he likes to get his foot in while also having a cracking strike on him from range.

Personally I don't see how he can be considered as "making his way down." That makes him sound like a journeyman whose ability is on the wane. He's come from Chelsea, he'd have had to have been a truly exceptional youngster to make the breakthrough there.

Would be a tidy signing IMHO in the sense that he has a bit of pedigree, is young and also presumably cheap.

Achieve at a lower level or be not quite good enough (but seemingly impress enough to be called up to the full Ireland squad) at a much higher level. I'd rather go for a Clifford over someone who has been consistently good in the Conference South.

Each to their own, but I prefer the odds on the standout player at the lower level making the step-up rather than the one making the step-down finding their level. They'll be the ones who are use to playing competitive matches, they'll be use to physicality, they'll know how to do the things needed to win.

The player's value stepping down is based on potential, but you already know their ceiling is below the level they are coming from and you don't know his floor. The player stepping up you know his floor and you don't know how high that ceiling will be.

BTW Ireland have no strength in depth.

I meant similarities in his play, ie. from the video it looks like he likes to get his foot in while also having a cracking strike on him from range.

Personally I don't see how he can be considered as "making his way down." That makes him sound like a journeyman whose ability is on the wane. He's come from Chelsea, he'd have had to have been a truly exceptional youngster to make the breakthrough there.

Would be a tidy signing IMHO in the sense that he has a bit of pedigree, is young and also presumably cheap.

Via Leicester.

Each to their own, but I prefer the odds on the standout player at the lower level making the step-up rather than the one making the step-down finding their level. They'll be the ones who are use to playing competitive matches, they'll be use to physicality, they'll know how to do the things needed to win.

The player's value stepping down is based on potential, but you already know their ceiling is below the level they are coming from and you don't know his floor. The player stepping up you know his floor and you don't know how high that ceiling will be.

BTW Ireland have no strength in depth.

Via Leicester.

A big Championship club who made the play-offs last season. No disgrace there, sometimes you have to drop down to come back up (look at Eastwood first time round and Kightly for example). L2 is worlds apart from the Championship.

So you'd rather Mark Salter than Stan Collymore then? Each to their own I guess :smile:

So you'd rather Mark Salter than Stan Collymore then? Each to their own I guess :smile:

Actually Collymore came from a non-league background having proved himself at Vauxhall Conference Stafford Rangers which earned him the move to Palace which would back up my point, but I said I preferred the odds not the player.

I feel quite cheered up by this. There was a moment when it was believed that PB was going to sign up a lot of veteran chronies..........the players suggested here are not at all that, quite the opposite. It also perhaps suggests that PB is looking to build a side and not create a quick fix. I'm starting to find this far more interesting, athough, of course................. no one has signed yet.

PB has been pushed into a corner because we can't afford the older guys!

Back