• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United are STAYING UP....That's Official

Then you have the whole issue around when the transfer window opens & closes. Could be a nightmare if leagues start & end at significant different months. There could be the situation where players sign for clubs in countries where the league is more likely to start...

Unfortunately we would be in league 1 ,with a league 2 budget and half a league 2 side
I suspect both the budget and the recruitment might just be modified a tadge in these circumstances- notwithstanding the fact that a number of L1 budgets are likely to be going south for next season..

Last edited:
I suspect both the budget and the recruitment might just be modified a badge in these circumstances- notwithstanding the fact that a number of L1 budgets are likely to be going south for next season..

So in a way us having a load of decent young players from the academy with a bit of L1 experience and on significantly lower wages may be an advantage next season when all the other L1 clubs are skint with players they can't afford to pay?

In the really bad winter in 1962/63 the last league games were played 20/21st May and the following season started on 24 th August.

Most teams have only 9 games left to play - 5/6 weeks.
Then there’s the play offs which could be scrapped or take up another 10 days.

Mind you playing three games a week was quite common to catch up fixtures a long time ago.

It’s all guesswork really, until Thursday. Never seen anything like this in my lifetime, don’t think anyone has a clue how this will pan out. Simply “voiding” the season would be incredibly unfair on those teams at the top of the leagues and in play off positions. A lot will be determined by what happens in Spain, France, Italy etc. And the Euros (should they go ahead) and European competitions.

It isn’t “official” at all, that we are staying up. Even if they hit the “reset” button I’m sure the EFL will find a way to relegate us.

Nothing will stop this club going down the pan with Ron in charge.

If the UEFA meeting on Tuesday were to say that the Euros were going ahead (Probably Unlikely), then voiding the season is the only option.

So, Southend ARE staying up and we will all be singing 'The Great Escape' song all summer long?

I've just spotted the flaw in your post........As the Euro's will not be going ahead.

So in a way us having a load of decent young players from the academy with a bit of L1 experience and on significantly lower wages may be an advantage next season when all the other L1 clubs are skint with players they can't afford to pay?

Certainly the fact that we know a number of them can perform at this level is very helpful and means what budget Sol has can be applied more effectively on a smaller number of key targets (whichever division).

Back