• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Phil Brown would be willing to speak to Simon Cox

Would you want Cox back

• Total voters
Or League Two. Or League One. It's as if it were a bad idea in general.
Ha ha! A process that was served us well these past 3 seasons…! I suppose I was saying it in the sense of drawing a line under what has happened in the past but you are spot on.

I have no idea about Cox's coaching ability. However , no one can deny he has the brain of a top goalscorer , sadly we had him as his legs were failing him. If he can work on Matt Rush + improve him just 5% I can see Rush being a 30 goal a season man for years to come.

Also , whenever i attended training back in the day at Boots & Laces there were always only 3 players who remained to do extra work after all the other players had long gone home.

Nathan Bishop , Anton Ferdinand & Simon Cox

No thank you. Great goal scorer and no doubt would absolutely rip it up in the National League but as said his influence in the dressing room was poisonous! That is not what we need right now and helped contribute to our demise.

Im a hypocrite you might say as I was an advocate for Ranger returning but his influence was nothing compared to Cox!

Oh dear...excruciating this is getting.
Everything the club does is not automatically wrong and to be criticised.
PB knows Cox very well- he needs none of us to tell him what he is like and what he brings or doesn't bring to the changing room.
We spent all last year complaining we had no strikers- forget next year if we had Cox this year we would have stayed up.
Of course it depends on what he would want, but like Holmes he is locally based?
Either he wants to come and we can afford or its just fluff
The best person to make that decision is PB
But as has been endlessly opined on here, we need a striker who can create and knows where the back of the net is. If you have a list of available strikers who would come, and can deliver more than Simon Cox could then please share and we can critique these great alternatives..

Oh dear...excruciating this is getting.
Everything the club does is not automatically wrong and to be criticised.
PB knows Cox very well- he needs none of us to tell him what he is like and what he brings or doesn't bring to the changing room.
We spent all last year complaining we had no strikers- forget next year if we had Cox this year we would have stayed up.
Of course it depends on what he would want, but like Holmes he is locally based?
Either he wants to come and we can afford or its just fluff
The best person to make that decision is PB
But as has been endlessly opined on here, we need a striker who can create and knows where the back of the net is. If you have a list of available strikers who would come, and can deliver more than Simon Cox could then please share and we can critique these great alternatives..

Spot on. Need to trust Brown at this point and hopefully Ron too.

If Brown thinks Cox will do a job, then I back him. If Cox wants £7k a week, then hopefully Ron will tell him to do one and thats the end of it.

Cox on a player/coach role on decent money for our level, then yes please.

If this was MM wanting Cox back, then no. Its an unknown entity - but Brown obviously knows him well and trusts him, which is good enough for me.

Cox, Rush and probably 2 more as you've got players at either ends of their careers there that wont be able to play every week.

Because he lied about being injured to skip pre-season then took the mickey out of others in training. He also was a very toxic person to have around the youngsters.
I was always impressed he seemed to be off doing his own training regime in advance of pre-season. What do I know? Do any of the ITK posters know he was a really bad influence or is this just a rumour that has built.

And we have the unbridled chutzpah to critcise the club for lacking ambition. We can sign 24-28 year old NL strikers but let's be clear the NL is not some "hidden secret" unmolested by clubs in higher divisions. They are all over it. And if a 24-28 year old striker is plying their trade in the NL its because that's how good they are. Mr Goodship tells you what you need to know about 30-40 goal a season strikers in Conf N & S.

We have a budget. We need to trust PB to build the best and most effective squad he can within that budget. It will be a mix of age and experience.

In 3 full seasons for us Cox played in L1 44, 42 and 45 games. He has played regularly in Australia around the restrictions.

I suspect there is very little chance he will come back here- but if he does I for one would applaud the club for showing they are serious about getting back into L2. BTW when other players see the likes of Holmes and Cox signing they will think we are serious too which may help some of those better younger players as well.

Last edited:
For everyone that is saying no are you saying this because you think he cant do a job in NL at this stage of his career or is there another reason ? ?

"Coxy’s skills, ability and cleverness, is it something you need in the National League? I don’t know."

It's your bloody job to know Phil!
Its a rhetorical question. And the right one. (And the hidden one of such skills normally cost a lot and we might not be able to afford it). And he might have called him and already have got the "thanks but no thanks". In which case its a nice segway to he wouldn't have been what we needed anyway. We shall see.

But again it does seem we are desperate to criticise. Perhaps we should ask Phil to revert to the MM approach. Once a week I will do a short little interview where i will say very little other than trotting out the normal meaningless platitudes. Subtext: It's for me to know what is going on and you supporters don't get a running commentary...

Personally I suspect most will prefer PB "sharing"even if at times it's "over sharing".

Back