• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin hopes to name new manager this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
If MM gets the job then he will get my full support. However, some not understanding why Fagan is a very strong alternative is hard to fathom. He would have taken the job weeks ago fully understanding the wider challenges (and at one point someone who was demonstrably committed to Southend was an important criteria). Perhaps we should have a summary compare:

Fagan U23 head coach at L1 level and UEFA Pro license (highest available and qualified to manage at Prem level)
MM U23 assistant coach at Prem level and we think now has reached UEFA A as otherwise couldn’t manage at EFL level

Yes MM has two promotions at whatever it is below National South and National South level as part time manager at Weymouth. Although some Weymouth fans mention how the link with Bournemouth (loans) has been very important the achievement is still very very worthy.

On the other hand Calderwood (if true as reported) brings experience as manager of winning promotion at L2 and L1 level. He also has many years experience as Hughton’s number two in the Prem and Championship.

The rest of the management team at Weymouth as far as I can see have no EFL experience in a playing or any other capacity. (Maybe They are coming from elsewhere- we don’t know)

Both Fagan and Calderwood have played at the highest level.

Fagan has demonstrated his commitment to the club- MM will hopefully demonstrate likewise.

My purpose is NOT to suggest MM should not be manager if that’s the decision- and as I said it will have my full support. Rather that Plan B could in fact be not a consolation prize but actually a very strong and perhaps in hindsight a better alternative.

Thank God at the moment for Fagan’s and Duncan's commitment to the club because otherwise no one would be preparing for the new season.

Let’s hope this soap opera is concluded soon.

The funny thing is when I first read Rons cryptic comments of late I read it as the other staff, from Weymouth or not were sorted. As in the ingredients are there but we now need the Chef or something along those lines. Let’s hope this gets wrapped up soon for everybody’s sanity!

Fair do’s.

It’s still possible that Bournemouth offer him an incentive though.

If Tindall has been part of the management team at Bournemouth for some time and is stepping up from assistant why would he not want to keep MM if he’s highly rated? Unless he doesn’t rate him I suspect he does (BTW I suspect it’s the latter)

I expect king Molesley is having second thoughts after seeing how Goodship has been turned from a 30 goal a season striker to just another benchwarmer, whilst every other youth player is given a chance in front of him. Shambles

I expect king Molesley is having second thoughts after seeing how Goodship has been turned from a 30 goal a season striker to just another benchwarmer, whilst every other youth player is given a chance in front of him. Shambles

That was. Sol Campbell issue not a reflection on how Goodship had played.

Although not everyone was won over, in general he had a pretty productive first season in League 1 and was almost an ever present until Campbell took over, along with one or two others who had performed really well until Campbell’s ego took over.

It was felt by many that Sols selection was more often based on what point he wanted to prove to the chairman than it did who merited a start or not.

Oh right, cheers for that insight pal. Thanks.

I have heard through a good connection in the football media world that Bournemouth could have massive financial problems looming after relegation. Bit like Hull a few years back. They’ve had to massively over-spend to stay in the Prem for 5 years. Not sure how that affects MM’s plans but if true they might not be quite such an attractive career proposition as they were. I guess a clue could be their choice of new manager. You’d think they’d throw everything back at trying to get back in the Prem before the parachute money runs out, instead they’ve gone for an unknown untried and I’m sure pretty cheap alternative.

I have heard through a good connection in the football media world that Bournemouth could have massive financial problems looming after relegation. Bit like Hull a few years back. They’ve had to massively over-spend to stay in the Prem for 5 years. Not sure how that affects MM’s plans but if true they might not be quite such an attractive career proposition as they were. I guess a clue could be their choice of new manager. You’d think they’d throw everything back at trying to get back in the Prem before the parachute money runs out, instead they’ve gone for an unknown untried and I’m sure pretty cheap alternative.
They have promoted from within. They are not throwing the baby out with the bath water and probably will go back up based on keeping faith with what has brought them success previously.

I would think from listening to the podcast interview with MM that he wouldn't really suit a number 2 role. He's ambitious and likes to organise things from top to bottom. Cant see him being able to utilise those talents as a number 2.

i suspect despite all our issues, he'd be gagging at this opportunity to test himself. It's very likely the rest of the people he wants to bring along thats holding things up. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a Larsson situation where 1 part of the puzzle causes the whole thing to fall over....

The issue most will have, is not that Ron failed to get the deal over the line, but the man who would likely become our new number one, would have been under our noses the entire time.

Well said. It seems extraordinary - and this is no reflection on Mark Molesley who appears to be a superb candidate for the Southend job - that the Chairman did not recognise this from the outset.

If MM gets the job then he will get my full support. However, some not understanding why Fagan is a very strong alternative is hard to fathom. He would have taken the job weeks ago fully understanding the wider challenges (and at one point someone who was demonstrably committed to Southend was an important criteria). Perhaps we should have a summary compare:

Fagan U23 head coach at L1 level and UEFA Pro license (highest available and qualified to manage at Prem level)
MM U23 assistant coach at Prem level and we think now has reached UEFA A as otherwise couldn’t manage at EFL level

Yes MM has two promotions at whatever it is below National South and National South level as part time manager at Weymouth. Although some Weymouth fans mention how the link with Bournemouth (loans) has been very important the achievement is still very very worthy.

On the other hand Calderwood (if true as reported) brings experience as manager of winning promotion at L2 and L1 level. He also has many years experience as Hughton’s number two in the Prem and Championship.

The rest of the management team at Weymouth as far as I can see have no EFL experience in a playing or any other capacity. (Maybe They are coming from elsewhere- we don’t know)

Both Fagan and Calderwood have played at the highest level.

Fagan has demonstrated his commitment to the club- MM will hopefully demonstrate likewise.

My purpose is NOT to suggest MM should not be manager if that’s the decision- and as I said it will have my full support. Rather that Plan B could in fact be not a consolation prize but actually a very strong and perhaps in hindsight a better alternative.

Thank God at the moment for Fagan’s and Duncan's commitment to the club because otherwise no one would be preparing for the new season.

Let’s hope this soap opera is concluded soon.

Very well argued. While the Chairman clearly ranks Mark Molesley ahead of Craig Fagan at present, his patience with Molesley will not be unlimited. Fagan, to me at least, looks like the best alternative candidate for the difficult managerial position at Southend.

Tired of the whole saga , now waiting for a TV company to make a reality show out of it , FOOTBALL MANAGER SOUTHEND UNITED. Get the top 10 candidates throw them in a house and let the public throw one out each week untithe unlucky last one there gets the job .

You know what I’ve come to realise? You lot, as a collective, are bitter & also slightly delusional.

You know what I’ve come to realise? You lot, as a collective, are bitter & also slightly delusional.
We've had a tiny representation of Weymouth fans on here and a couple have contributed to this thread with reasoned feedback, answered questions about Molesley and wished him well should he decide on the Essex Riviera. As a collective, they're just like any other bunch of fans following their club.

I think it's just the thought of losing one of the best managers we have had, possibly backroom staff that will rip the arse out the club, especially with our first season up, plus we have higher aspirations for him.

Just a few thoughts.

• Ron still hasn't learnt - everything moves at a glacial pace
  • The longer this goes on the less chance I see of it happening
  • The longer this goes on the less MM seems to fit the criteria Ron was looking for in a new manger

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back